A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:05:30 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uniquely Tulsa Restaurant  (Read 12601 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 01:43:45 pm »

No one mentioned Blue Dome Diner. Great Breakfast and Lunch fare, their biscuits are outstanding but someone needs to help them with the cream gravy.
doofus
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 03:19:57 pm »

Another long-time Tulsa cafe is Cortner's, on S. Sheridan at around 8th St. or so. Been around for years and years (and shows it, but the food is just as good as ever!) I was looking at the design of a dinner knife there once (it was diff from the fork and spoon patterns) and recognized the pattern from my own family when I was growing up! I thought maybe they had found it in a garage sale somewhere. Anyway, it's only open 'til 2pm through the week, 1pm on Sat. I think.
darkspectre
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2007, 07:56:47 am »

Cedar's Import Company(formally Antone's) over at about 25th and Sheridan. They are mainly a Lebanese food joint, but they have the best Po' Boy subs & Tabouli in town.
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2007, 02:09:36 pm »

I'm still waiting for someone to suggest a "uniquely Tulsa" restaurant. Not Lebanese, not Italian - something that is unique to Tulsa. Maybe the aforementioned burger joints make the grade (if indeed the hamburger was invented here, that's a big deal) or maybe Tulsa style barbeque.

Is there a dish that screams "Tulsa"?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2007, 02:20:11 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by restored2x

I'm still waiting for someone to suggest a "uniquely Tulsa" restaurant. Not Lebanese, not Italian - something that is unique to Tulsa. Maybe the aforementioned burger joints make the grade (if indeed the hamburger was invented here, that's a big deal) or maybe Tulsa style barbeque.

Someone's already mentioned Phat Phillies.  I know I know, they're phillies.  The owner's a local guy, it's in Gunboat, the food is way tasty, and you can get your picture on the wall for eating as many as you can.

The big bonus is after you eat it you can squeeze the wax paper and napkins you used and strike oil...that's screaming TULSA.  

You can smear it all over your face and pretend you're James Dean on "Giant" too.
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2007, 02:53:46 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

quote:
Originally posted by restored2x

Someone's already mentioned Phat Phillies.  I know I know, they're phillies.  The owner's a local guy, it's in Gunboat, the food is way tasty, and you can get your picture on the wall for eating as many as you can.

The big bonus is after you eat it you can squeeze the wax paper and napkins you used and strike oil...that's screaming TULSA.  

You can smear it all over your face and pretend you're James Dean on "Giant" too.

I'm from back east, and Phat Phillies is great! Closest thing to "real" Philly Cheesesteaks around here - love the atmosphere -

If the grease doesn't saturate the wrappings - it ain't no cheesesteak

Crap - now I wanna Phat Philly.
izmophonik
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2007, 05:52:41 pm »

Newsflash to a few Camille's fans here.  It has been closed for about 3 weeks now.  It re-opened as some joint called "Lucky's".  I've never been there but I might try it out sometime.  They have a Sunday brunch which is supposed to be good.  Pomodori's hasn't been mentioned here yet so there you go.  It is owned by the same family that used to own Camille's.
izmophonik
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2007, 05:53:22 pm »

sorry guys.. .I mean Camerelli's is gone.  Not Camille's.  :-)
Rowdy
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2007, 06:28:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

Nothing says "uniquely Tulsa" like a Sausage Cheeseburger from Ron's.

Legend has it that the sausage cheeseburger was invented by mistake when an employee accidentally mixed the ground sausage with the ground hamburger...and the customer loved it.

To think this signifies Tulsa.  Where's that River money...
Kashmir
Civic Leader

"My name is Talking Tina and I think I hate you"

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2007, 08:09:10 pm »

A Sausage burger from Ron's with a root beer is one of the great pleasures in life.  And some of the ginormous bacon hot-cheese fries!  I swear, I love the food threads on this board![Smiley]

quote:
Any local restaurant that combines Midwestern, Southwestern, and Southern food screams Tulsa. We are the confluence of those 3 regions.

Would that be Peppers?
Rowdy
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2007, 03:07:47 pm »

Yeah Peppers as in disappeared.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2007, 04:40:35 pm »

Weber's.....

kongsuni
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2007, 06:11:18 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DScott28604

I actually just remembered that I have a database of Tulsa restaurants on my computer...  Not all are completely unique to Tulsa, but most are.  If anyone wants it, just let me know.  It's in Excel format.

I'd like that list. I'm always up for trying new things. Smiley [^]
hunterjohn1
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2007, 03:27:45 am »

My family loves the new RUNT'S BBQ next to Bass Pro Shop in BA. My friends and family have darkened their doorsteps numberous times and the RIB'S are absolutly the best on the PLANET in our opinion. The girls think it is the cleanest restaurant in town!!It is fun and has a unique concept,kinda like steppin back in to a vintage movie theater feel. Whenever we haven't visited for a while someone will call and say we need a RUNT'S fix & off we go. We also like their steaks & smoked prime rib & catfish. Beats the chain stuff hands down!!
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2007, 07:51:25 am »

quote:
Originally posted by hunterjohn1

My family loves the new RUNT'S BBQ next to Bass Pro Shop in BA. My friends and family have darkened their doorsteps numberous times and the RIB'S are absolutly the best on the PLANET in our opinion. The girls think it is the cleanest restaurant in town!!It is fun and has a unique concept,kinda like steppin back in to a vintage movie theater feel. Whenever we haven't visited for a while someone will call and say we need a RUNT'S fix & off we go. We also like their steaks & smoked prime rib & catfish. Beats the chain stuff hands down!!

Wow, sounds like either an advertisement or a family member of Runt's ownership is on the forum..

Seriously, this will go on my list of places to go...tx

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org