A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:28:08 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 Time Capsule In The News  (Read 4189 times)
OK Time Capsule
« on: November 05, 2007, 09:30:43 am »

There are a couple of nice articles in the Tulsa World this morning:

Front Page

Front Page Local Section

And several from the last two weeks:

10/27 Tulsa World

10/25 Tulsa World

There will be a procession following the 2007 Harley-Davidson leaving from Myers-Duren Harley-Davidson at 11:30am on Saturday November 10, 2007.

The procession will end at Veteran's Park at 21st & Boulder and the official ceremonies will run from noon to 2pm.

Donations for the time capsule are still being accepted, and can be brought to the park on Saturday.  Please see the OK Time Capsule web site for donation guidelines:

http://www.oktimecapsule.com/
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 10:00:24 am »

I wish they would put a 2007 car in there. That would really be the thing they could do.[xx(]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 10:24:20 am »

Eh, they already put a car in the city centennial time capsule in 1998 and they did one in 1957.

Takes money to do those things and beggars can't be choosers.  Maybe you should have bought a new car for them to put in the capsule if it bothers you that much.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rwarn17588
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:23:34 am »

A motorcycle is cool enough. It'll look positively exotic in 50 years when we're driving flying cars. [}:)]
spoonbill
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 11:38:34 am »

Wonderfull.  Should look like this in 50 years.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 11:57:08 am »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

A motorcycle is cool enough. It'll look positively exotic in 50 years when we're driving flying cars. [}:)]

They said that when they buried the belvedere.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 01:01:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by spoonbill

Wonderfull.  Should look like this in 50 years.

Great photo, great humor.  I've actually restored motorcycles which looked worse. [Wink]

Based on the engineering principles of this capsule vs. the swimming pool the Belvedere was buried in, everything should look pristine.

Swimming pools are built to keep water in, not out, that's where the people in 1957 got it all wrong. [Cheesy]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 01:27:29 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

I wish they would put a 2007 car in there. That would really be the thing they could do.[xx(]

Well get off your patookus and be the "they". Donate a car. Who do you think this "they" is? We could use some donations to help build the structure and artwork to go around the time capsule. We are taking donations. We have been running around town, doing a lot of work to get this thing going and make it the best we can. If ya dont want to donate to make things better, hush.  

Btw, this time capsule will not be buried.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
MichaelC
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 11:34:38 am »

More at Tulsa World

quote:

Time capsule aficionados learned some things from Tulsa's buried Belvedere experience.

They learned that water is not their friend.

They learned that steel is more waterproof than concrete.

As everyone now knows, the concrete vault containing the 1957 Plymouth Belvedere let water in but didn't let it out. The result was a very badly damaged automobile when the vault was unearthed from the Tulsa County Courthouse lawn this summer.

I hope they're putting this steel capsule, inside a concrete capsule.  Soil contact can be fairly corrosive.
OK Time Capsule
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 11:56:32 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC

More at Tulsa World

quote:

Time capsule aficionados learned some things from Tulsa's buried Belvedere experience.

They learned that water is not their friend.

They learned that steel is more waterproof than concrete.

As everyone now knows, the concrete vault containing the 1957 Plymouth Belvedere let water in but didn't let it out. The result was a very badly damaged automobile when the vault was unearthed from the Tulsa County Courthouse lawn this summer.

I hope they're putting this steel capsule, inside a concrete capsule.  Soil contact can be fairly corrosive.

Thank you for pointing this out, I know it's a concern for everyone.

This is something everyone involved with the project is keenly aware of.  The capsule is being epoxy-coated, but even that is no insurance against the soil.

As of now the final disposition of the outer vault is in the hands of the time capsule committee, the Parks Dept., and people in the Mayor's office.

William Franklin has provided multiple ideas and concepts for the aesthetics of the outer vault and has been a joy to work with.  

The Park Board was presented these concepts at their October meeting and it was determined it was time to go back to the drawing board.  Up to that time the engineering of the outer vault and donations of construction materials for that had been with the assumption of an above-grade installation.  It was decided at that point to pass the final vault resolution until after November 10th.

It's going to take more engineering to place it below grade or partially below-grade.

For what it's worth, to this point all engineering, construction, and materials have been donated to this project, it has cost tax payers nothing.  It's great to see various local businesses step up on a project like this.

At any rate, there will be no direct soil contact with the pressure vessel.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 12:02:55 pm »

I guess the lesson with the Belvedere is that swimming pools are for holding water in, not keeping it out. [Wink]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org