A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:34:56 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riverview Listed on National Register  (Read 14567 times)
waterboy
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2008, 12:10:21 pm »

Back in the mid to late 70's I remember seeing a decorative iron entry way arch on Carson at about 14th street. I don't remember what it said, maybe the neighborhood name. It sat on two brick piers which are still there. What ever happened to the arch?
booWorld
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008, 12:47:06 pm »

I heard that the sign rusted beyond repair.  I've also heard plans for installing a replacement sign at 14th & Carson.  The piers for the second sign are long gone.

...from the Retro Tulsa Museum, provided online by the Feldman Franden Woodard & Farris law firm
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:15:38 pm by booWorld » Logged
mrB
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 03:10:07 pm »

| caption from website |

"14th St and Carson Avenue circa 1913. This neighborhood is intact, but the arch was taken down by the city in the 1970s. The neighborhood plans to replace this historic artifact as a Vision 2025 project."

Picture is from the Tulsa Riverview Neighborhood website.

I was in this neighborhood just the other day. It's always amazing to see these old pictures of Tulsa before trees were planted and grew in these early Tulsa neighborhoods.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 04:04:20 pm by mrB » Logged
mrB
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2008, 03:59:44 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by booWorld

...from the Retro Tulsa Museum, provided online by the Feldman Franden Woodard & Farris law firm

Thanks booWorld for the link to the Retro Tulsa Museum, I just went through the collection. Very nice and appreciated since it's done by someone on their free time.
booWorld
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2008, 10:03:07 pm »

You're welcome, mrB.  I'm not certain, but I think the hand tinted postcard is a view looking south at 14th & Cheyenne.  None of the houses looks familiar to me, and I don't see the Mayo house (which is the only remaining on that block) on the left, so I can't be sure.  The black and white photo was taken at 14th & Carson.  Those masonry piers and small metal side arches are still there.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:16:35 pm by booWorld » Logged
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2008, 12:53:22 pm »

The color post card on the left was a retouched black and white. At the time of the picture was taken the Mayo house had not yet been built.

Here is a picture of Cheyenne Ave looking south from 15th St circa 1915 (I found this in the TU Kendallabrum from that year):

If you look carefully at the end of the block you can make out the arch.

The neighborhood is working on a plan to replace the arch on Carson, but due to height considerations we will make a few modifications.

We also have a plan to install "gateways" around the neighborhood that will mirror the columns.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2008, 04:45:59 pm »

This stretch of Carson is one of my favorite streets in Tulsa.  Love the remnants of the arches.  I love walking between them on the sidewalks.

Funny how much things have changed.  We used to have these graceful arches ("Welcome to our beautiful street!")...now we have gated communities ("Everyone is evil. Stay out.")
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2008, 05:51:48 pm »

The empty lots south of the Creek Council Oak on 18th and along Cheyenne would make great places for houses someday.  That is where I would build if I could acquire the land.  Riverview is my favorite neighborhood in the city and I'm very happy to A) see it get historic distinction and B) start to see some new developments.  

Curious though, would the historic area limit what NEW homebuilders could do to their homes?  I'm not talking about renovating but rather new construction within the district.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 12:25:44 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

This stretch of Carson is one of my favorite streets in Tulsa.  Love the remnants of the arches.  I love walking between them on the sidewalks.

Funny how much things have changed.  We used to have these graceful arches ("Welcome to our beautiful street!")...now we have gated communities ("Everyone is evil. Stay out.")

Glad you like my hood. My street has changed a lot since I bought my old house. Many of the other houses around me have been purchased and restored, and every restoral has served to return the house back to its original state rather than to try to make them more modern: For example installing storm windows rather than replacing the wood windows or by removing vinyl siding and blowing in insulation to show off the old cedar siding and shakes.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2008, 12:30:15 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SXSW

The empty lots south of the Creek Council Oak on 18th and along Cheyenne would make great places for houses someday.  That is where I would build if I could acquire the land.  Riverview is my favorite neighborhood in the city and I'm very happy to A) see it get historic distinction and B) start to see some new developments.  

Curious though, would the historic area limit what NEW homebuilders could do to their homes?  I'm not talking about renovating but rather new construction within the district.

We don't have any restrictions on what can be built in the area which has worked out for good and ill.
Just to the south of the Council Oak is Stickball Park which is getting a new fence and landscaping. Further south is already pretty dense except for the lot on 21st behind what used to be Duffy's.

17th and Cheyenne has a big parking lot where a mansion once stood (Thanks Oral Roberts) and Boulder Ave has lots of development potential if the Abundant Life building was removed (thanks Oral Roberts).
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2008, 01:42:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SXSW

Those aren't empty lots. That's a park. And that land is protected from development, the same as the Council Oak Tree park. They go together.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org