A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:46:49 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riverview Listed on National Register  (Read 14592 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« on: October 22, 2007, 10:54:45 am »

My hood is now designated.

There are 4 Historic Districts: Riverview, Carlton Place, Stone Breaker Heights and Buena Vista.

Check out the Improved Tulsa Preservation Commission site:

Tulsa Preservation Commission

Wonder when we'll get our invite from COHN?
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 11:08:52 am »

Congratulations, Carltonplace, you are now officially historic.[Wink]

Rico
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 06:47:24 pm »

I have a question regarding "your hood" Riverview..

I assume if Riverview is on the National Register that an "inventory" of the neighborhood was done.
I know when they do an inventory, there are "contributing, non contributing, and stand alone structures" designated..

OK here is my question.

I know of several houses in the Riverview neighborhood that were moved there from near the Downtown area.
Per the "Tulsa Preservation Commission", (when a structure is moved it looses it's historic status.)

How are these houses listed on an inventory of a neighborhood that achieves Historic Designation status?

Just curious
booWorld
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 10:08:25 pm »

^ A portion of the Victorian style Perryman house at 1313 S Elwood was built in the 1880s.  Originally, the house was located near 6th and Boulder.  Around 1909, the house was moved to its current location.  It's one of the oldest buildings in Riverview, if not the oldest.  The house was moved to Riverview before the neighborhood was developed.
booWorld
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:11:17 pm »

This photo was taken from the top of the Sophian Plaza around 1929.  It shows the eastern portion of the Riverview neighborhood.  Note the street railway tracks in Frisco Avenue at the lower left.  Streetcar service on this line was discontinued around 1928, but the vestiges of the tracks were visible in the asphalt pavement until a few years ago when Frisco was resurfaced.  

The digital image is one of thousands from the Beryl Ford Collection provided to the public by the Rotary Club of Tulsa.  

Rico
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 07:24:39 am »

quote:
Originally posted by booWorld

^ A portion of the Victorian style Perryman house at 1313 S Elwood was built in the 1880s.  Originally, the house was located near 6th and Boulder.  Around 1909, the house was moved to its current location.  It's one of the oldest buildings in Riverview, if not the oldest.  The house was moved to Riverview before the neighborhood was developed.

^

With the above being taken into account.... I would really like to see the "Inventory" for the neighborhood...

One of the houses I was referring to was moved from near where the Mayo is located.

Either there is a broad discrepancy regarding the moving of a Historic Structure... Or the local Historic Preservation Commission was not quite up to speed on the facts.

With what I have been told the "Perryman" structure would have to be listed as a (non-contributing) building.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 08:20:10 am »

Houses that were moved to the neighborhood or have been altered are considered "non-contributing"

Alterations that detract from contribution are: Removing wood frame windows , changing the "face" of the home, removing exterior sideing, adding vinyl siding etc.

I actualy worked hard to restore my home by removing the vinyl siding, repairing the wood frame windows, repairing the cedar shake siding and weatherboard and replacing lost architectural details. It is considered contributing. The house next to me had a closed in porch that prevented it from being on the list, but that original porch and details are now restored and the preservation commission is taking another look at it.

Tulsa World Article
Rico
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 09:22:19 am »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

Houses that were moved to the neighborhood or have been altered are considered "non-contributing"

Alterations that detract from contribution are: Removing wood frame windows , changing the "face" of the home, removing exterior sideing, adding vinyl siding etc.

I actualy worked hard to restore my home by removing the vinyl siding, repairing the wood frame windows, repairing the cedar shake siding and weatherboard and replacing lost architectural details. It is considered contributing. The house next to me had a closed in porch that prevented it from being on the list, but that original porch and details are now restored and the preservation commission is taking another look at it.

Tulsa World Article

Thank You Carlton. I appreciate the info.

To me structures that have been moved from one location, to within a Historic District, should be viewed as a contributing fact of the History of the District....therefore a contributing entity of the Neighborhood. JMO
mac
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 02:23:13 pm »

quote:
Wonder when we'll get our invite from COHN?

cartonplace,
Your president has been invited to join COHN but has not responded. Contact her and urge her to respond and I will see that she is contacted again.
mac
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 09:15:34 pm »

ooops, I mean carltonplace
booWorld
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 09:20:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Rico

To me structures that have been moved from one location, to within a Historic District, should be viewed as a contributing fact of the History of the District....therefore a contributing entity of the Neighborhood. JMO

I agree.  I wonder if the hideous apartments built in Riverview after the 1950s are considered to be contributing structures while a house built in the 1880s and moved to the neighborhood around 1910 is not.
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 10:17:36 pm »

because in order to be historic, "old" isn't enough.

LOL.

spoonbill
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 05:13:00 am »

You will get all kinds of tax incentives for individual homeowners.  Grants for the neighborhood will be available too.  

Don't take any of them!!!  [Smiley]

I'm not going to tell you why.  There are several architects on this forum, and I don't want to get their feathers ruffled.  

Do a little research on your own and find out what happens once you accept any of these offers.

That is all.
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 07:45:54 am »

quote:
Originally posted by spoonbill

You will get all kinds of tax incentives for individual homeowners.  Grants for the neighborhood will be available too.  

I'm not going to tell you why.  There are several architects on this forum, and I don't want to get their feathers ruffled.  

Do a little research on your own and find out what happens once you accept any of these offers.

That is all.

The quote above is patently false. Grants are non-existent and tax incentives for National Register properties don't include owner-occupied private residences.
spoonbill
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 09:10:33 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AVERAGE JOE

quote:
Originally posted by spoonbill

That is all.

The quote above is patently false. Grants are non-existent and tax incentives for National Register properties don't include owner-occupied private residences.

Be careful.  Let me clarify.  

You are correct, if you claim no income from the structure you are not eligible for tax incentives. . . But if you claim a home office or use any of the property to generate revenue and your tax advisor recommends that you file for tax incentives for rehabilitation (a 20% federal and state tax credit!), I would avoid it.

No grants are available on the federal level except for:
American Battlefield Protection Program Battlefield Acquisition Grants?American Battlefield Protection Program Partnership Grants?Historic Barn Preservation Program Grants?National Historic Covered Bridge Preservation Grants?National Maritime Heritage Grants?National Underground Railroad to Freedom Grants.

However numerous private grants are available for historic homes.  Each with their own set of controls.
To name a few:

1772 Foundation
Advisory Council on Historic Preservation?American Battlefield Protection Grants
Carls Foundation
Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts (CCAHA)
Historic District Commission
Downtown Development Authority
(J. P.) Getty Trust?Architectural Conservation Grants
History Channel 'Save Our History' National Grant Program
James Marston Fitch Charitable Foundation
(Samuel H) Kress Foundation?European Preservation Program
Legacy Resource Management Program
Partners for Sacred Places (PSP
Preserve America Grants
Restore America Grants Program
Save America's Treasures Grant Applications
Tourism Cares Worldwide Grant Program

I apologize for not clarifying.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org