A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:54:43 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you want someone on the city council...  (Read 3500 times)
Ibanez
City Father

« on: October 19, 2007, 03:30:03 pm »

Who can't pay their bills and is being sued by multiple credit card companies?

This question is not about someone on the Tulsa City Council, but another City Council somewhere in Oklahoma.

Personally I wouldn't want someone that irresponsible serving on the council.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 05:19:37 pm »

Tell us more before we judge.

Money problems occur for a variety of reasons, some self-imposed.

There is a big difference between medical bills and gambling debts.

Power is nothing till you use it.
waterboy
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 05:23:28 pm »

Like most things...depends.

Was it due to catastrophic illness that depleted his assets to keep his wife alive?

Was it as a result of a business that failed and he was held personally responsible for others fraudulent activities?

It is not unusual for the best of businessmen to have to file bankruptcy. The fact that credit card companies are suing doesn't mean much other than he may in fact be trying to pay them off rather than file bankruptcy and discharge them all.

You sound pretty judgemental. Ever had any of these circumstances hit you in the face? I'll tell you someone who did. Charles Page who founded Sand Springs had failed in several businessess and was taking handouts from the Salvation Army. He finally had success with oil properties and suddenly was wealthy and respectable.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 06:40:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by wavoka

Who can't pay their bills and is being sued by multiple credit card companies?

This question is not about someone on the Tulsa City Council, but another City Council somewhere in Oklahoma.

Personally I wouldn't want someone that irresponsible serving on the council.

Hell no...If they are having those kind of troubles they need to respectfully step down......

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 08:28:00 pm »

This isn't due to health or medical expenses. This is due to someone living beyond their means due to a big case of "keeping up with the Jones."
FOTD
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 03:20:46 pm »

quote:

This isn't due to health or medical expenses. This is due to someone living beyond their means due to a big case of "keeping up with the Jones."

Then they'd be the perfect representative for a town trying to be like a big city...

Frankly, a man or woman with this problem has nothing to do with their ability to represent.  Are you in their district? What diff does it make if they've had a disaster occur? Unless you're a democrat....
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 03:37:45 pm »

I guess I don't understand the purpose of this thread.

You know about some elected official from some city other than Tulsa who has some personal financial problems.

We are supposed to post thoughts without knowing any more details than this.

I guess my answer is "it depends".

Power is nothing till you use it.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 09:16:22 pm »

Isn't Wakova from Sand Springs?

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 09:51:38 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

quote:

Then they'd be the perfect representative for a town trying to be like a big city...

Frankly, a man or woman with this problem has nothing to do with their ability to represent.  Are you in their district? What diff does it make if they've had a disaster occur? Unless you're a democrat....

The Democrat part would cover you...no...?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org