A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:34:49 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Canebrake resort  (Read 19771 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008, 10:38:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by joiei

I am planning on taking some friends this coming sunday for brunch.  Conan, since your review of the accommodations I will have to give it a weekend try for sure now.  

As for taking kids,  okay maybe but they do not cater to children.  My take is that it is an adult place.  Not every place has to bow to the pressure of being kid centric, there are plenty of those types of places around.  We adults do need our own places to be pampered now and then.

At this point, it's really not overly kid-centric, at least for a stay-over.  There are a couple of ponds which can be fished and a rifle range to the south of the main buildings.  I was stunned at how secluded the lodging area is now that all the trees have put on leaves.

They have done a great job, they have improvements and additions slated through 2010.  I think it's wise they are growing at a measured pace.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaFan-inTexas
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2008, 05:53:49 pm »

I could get fat again on that menu; not that I would mind... Smiley

quote:
Originally posted by joiei

Sunday, I drove over to just beyond Wagoner to the Canebrake resort to have brunch at the Canebrake Kitchen.  This is a new property still in the beginnings of developement.  A beautiful place on the shores of Lake Ft Gibson.  The restaurant, The Canebrake Kitchen is located in the main building, that includes a yoga barn, a retail shop, and some meeting rooms.  There are plans to build a swimming pool and spa facilities adjacent to this.  There are also some cottages being built for overnight guests.  

I was there for brunch.  It was probably one of the best brunches I have had in Oklahoma.  There were 3 buffet stations, all small, one had meats including applewood smoked bacon, sausage links and smoked beef roast (delicious and juicy), creamy carolina grits, home fries, biscuits and some of the best sausage gravy I have had since I moved to Oklahoma (it didn't remind me of the paste that most places call gravy) and the sausage in it was plentiful and had a pleasant black pepper bite.  There were a  couple of salads also.  The next station was a dessert station with all homemade desserts.  The last station was house smoked salmon at the bar into the kitchen where you ordered your eggs, omeletes or benedicts made to order and delivered to your seat.  The house coffee is also excellent.  It was $16 but well worth it considering the quality of the food.  The service was smooth and nonintrusive.  

Here is the web site, http://www.thecanebrake.com/,  I will be going back to check out the dinner menu which is included on the site.  So far, imho, this is one of the better dining rooms in the entire state.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2016, 04:20:28 pm »

I just got an email from the Brackens that Canebrake closed today.  They were hoping to find an investor to help keep it open but such is not the case. 

I’m sad to see this close.  It was a really good concept and seemed like they were always busy.  We were there a few weeks ago for Sunday brunch and they were in the midst of building a new pool facility.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 04:25:55 pm »

I just got an email from the Brackens that Canebrake closed today.  They were hoping to find an investor to help keep it open but such is not the case. 

I’m sad to see this close.  It was a really good concept and seemed like they were always busy.  We were there a few weeks ago for Sunday brunch and they were in the midst of building a new pool facility.

That's a shame.  My wife and her friends enjoyed their times there.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2016, 05:23:22 pm »

How do you go from building a pool facility to closed in a matter of weeks?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2016, 10:47:28 pm »

How do you go from building a pool facility to closed in a matter of weeks?

Unless that was the last bit of debt which pushed them over the edge.  The message they sent out said if you had a gift card or gift certificate, to submit by Feb. 28 for a full refund.  So it’s not like they are locked out, tits-up, going for Chapter 7 tomorrow. 

I’m truly curious what happened.  They were around for over 8 years and managed to survive the Great Recession which started not long after they opened.  I had understood that Sam’s dad was in the oil business, perhaps that had something to do with its fate.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2016, 08:06:41 am »

There was a report today that an investor pulled out. I have no actual knowledge, but often when you see that it is simply that the owners and/or other investors wanted to keep investing in the company and the one that pulled out either wanted a faster return ("It's time to start making money") or had financial issues and needed to cash out, couldn't make a commitment, or otherwise had to end it to save other financial interests.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org