A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:56:30 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Canebrake resort  (Read 19777 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 09:59:23 am »

Please report back on what you liked.

Especially on the stuff that kids eat. We have found it difficult to choose places that are nice that our kids have food choices that they like.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 10:17:03 am »

quote:
Originally posted by HoneySuckle

quote:
Originally posted by joiei

THere have been lots of people coming in from church for brunch.  So you probably will not be overdressed.

We did make reservations.  I am hoping that my son wouldn't try to over eat.  He has a tendency to think "buffet = overstuffed"[Cheesy]

I'm anxious to hear your report.  It's our turn next Sunday.  We get to go to a wedding on Saturday night up at Woolaroc.  What a great time of year to be out and about.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
joiei
City Father

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 11:30:06 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71
 What a great time of year to be out and about.

Isn't it though.  I am thinking of driving up to Talihena for the fall color in a couple of weeks.   And maybe lunch in Pryor or Heavener.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 09:28:48 am »

We went out to Canebrake yesterday and this is my take on the place.

I liked the area, and also the atmosphere.  The food was good overall and worth the trip. Dining room was nicely laid out.

Some things we really liked:

Good tea/coffee
Juices were excellent
Brisket was well done and tasty
Hubby liked the smoked salmon
Bacon and sausages were good
Home fries excellent
Eggs Benedict (hubby loved)
Omlette (I loved), but had too much butter.

Things we didn't think were so hot:

Quiche was not very tasty and had weird texture
Gravy was too peppery and no one cared for it (kids usually love gravy)!

Guacamole seemed out of place (no chips) but was okay tasting.

Dessert wasn't anything to shout about, just okay.  I had cheesecake (so-so) and a chocolate/whip cream pie that wasn't too bad.

Salad choices were okay (not much to choose from).

For kids, I can say that the waffles were a winner, sausages, bacon and home fries.

Would we go back?  Probably, but we may try dinner next time.

My one complaint was the amount of "fat" in the omelettes.  The eggs were placed in what seemed like a sea of oil[:O]  Hope they can do something about that.

Took a drive along the dam and looked at the new cottages they're building. Really will be a nice get-away once done.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 09:33:38 am »

Honeysuckle, did they have to roll you guys out to the car afterwards?  Sounds like a lot of food!

Thanks for posting, reminded me I need to call in my reservation this morning.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 10:19:52 am »

quote:

Honeysuckle, did they have to roll you guys out to the car afterwards?  Sounds like a lot of food!

Thanks for posting, reminded me I need to call in my reservation this morning.

There were four of us, and we all tried different things and gave our comments[Cheesy]  But we did eat a lot of food!  Hubby didn't try dessert and neither did my daughter.  I didn't try the eggs benedict, so I'm posting what HE thought.  I also didn't try the sausages and bacon (not a fan of those things), so again those were the impression of my son and hubby.  Their service was excellent.

If you don't like lots of butter/grease in food, ask them to go light on the omlette. I am telling you, the eggs were so greasy I felt sick afterwards though the filling inside was yummy.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 09:33:27 pm »

It was definitely worth the drive.  Of course we forgot to turn the clocks back last night.  I didn't figure that out until I looked at my cell phone when we were already underway.  We had reservations for 11 and arrived at about 9:50.  Worked out just fine, they weren't too busy yet and the temperature was perfect for dining out on the ample patio.

They had mussels instead of salmon but the buffet was pretty much as described.  I tried some brisket, the bowtie pasta salad, the green salad, quiche, sausage and bacon- all well worth it (all small portions, mind you [Wink]).  I also had eggs benedict.  My wife tried the waffle along with other things I tried.

Over-all we were impressed, but I wouldn't say over-whelmed.  It's a nice Sunday drive, especially this time of year, and for the price, we were not disappointed.

HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 11:19:47 pm »

quote:

It was definitely worth the drive.  Of course we forgot to turn the clocks back last night.  I didn't figure that out until I looked at my cell phone when we were already underway.  We had reservations for 11 and arrived at about 9:50.  Worked out just fine, they weren't too busy yet and the temperature was perfect for dining out on the ample patio.

They had mussels instead of salmon but the buffet was pretty much as described.  I tried some brisket, the bowtie pasta salad, the green salad, quiche, sausage and bacon- all well worth it (all small portions, mind you [Wink]).  I also had eggs benedict.  My wife tried the waffle along with other things I tried.

Over-all we were impressed, but I wouldn't say over-whelmed.  It's a nice Sunday drive, especially this time of year, and for the price, we were not disappointed.

How funny.  At least you were early. We didn't have warm enough weather for dining out, but I did look longingly.  

Glad you enjoyed the trip and meal.  We would go back but those omlettes need to be grease-less.  I love omlettes.

You're so lucky to have had the mussels. Were they good?  I didn't care for the salmon.  And yeah, I believe you on the SMALL portions,lol

LeftOCenter
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 01:08:10 pm »

Take your big wallet if you go for a regular meal. It's a little pricey and it might be a little lavish for the kiddies.
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 08:52:52 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by LeftOCenter

Take your big wallet if you go for a regular meal. It's a little pricey and it might be a little lavish for the kiddies.

I definitely don't think their meals are for kids to be honest.  A friend went with hers and paid all that money only to have the kids go, EEEWWWWW.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 10:28:19 am »

I just got back from an entire weekend at the Canebrake- literally entire weekend.  We went to a Yoga retreat taught by Karl Straub.  This  was my first experience w/ Yoga, I'm disappointed I've waited this long in life to try it.

It was all-inclusive with the exception of alcohol (great wine selection).  We upgraded to a king suite (one of the new cabins).  Food was excellent, the Yoga instruction was excellent, and it was so relaxing we stayed over again last night.  The resort more or less "closes" after Sunday brunch, but they left some stuff for dinner and breakfast in our suite, and one of the owners gave us his cell phone in case we needed anything.

I'd highly recommend it as an over-nighter type place.  It's very peaceful and quiet, the cabins are well insulated from sound, laid out well, usual resort type baths you'd find at a Four Seasons or RC, yet the suites have somewhat of a Rocky Mountain rustic feel.

The service is outstanding, they go out of their way to make sure you have a good experience whether you are there for a meal or a weekend.

It wasn't cheap, but we felt we got our money's worth.

FOTD
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 11:24:43 am »

Way to go Conan.... heard it was a good weekend there from several retreaters.

Stay flexible. In this world, it's a must.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 11:39:31 am »

Yep, you and I have a common friend or two.

I plan to stay with it.  Most relaxed and fulfilled as I've felt in years.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 02:26:32 pm »

Good job again for Mother's Day brunch.  They went out of their way to accomodate three extras in my party after they had "sold out".  

At the risk of sounding like a shill, this is truly one of my favorite excursions in NE Oklahoma.

joiei
City Father

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 03:57:42 pm »

I am planning on taking some friends this coming sunday for brunch.  Conan, since your review of the accommodations I will have to give it a weekend try for sure now.  

As for taking kids,  okay maybe but they do not cater to children.  My take is that it is an adult place.  Not every place has to bow to the pressure of being kid centric, there are plenty of those types of places around.  We adults do need our own places to be pampered now and then.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org