A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:42:02 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Nothing Wrong" with Tasering baby  (Read 12932 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: October 13, 2007, 01:49:26 pm »

A bounty hunter "did nothing wrong" when he shot an infant with a Taser Friday, according to Oklahoma City Police.

"At some point the bounty hunter felt it was necessary to deploy the Taser" said Oklahoma City Police Sgt. Keith Vance, who claimed the woman holding the child used it as a shield.

The mother was later arrested for child endangerment.

"He can certainly use a Taser if he feels there is a need to do so," Vance said of the unidentified bounty hunter.

More:  http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=071013_1__OKLAH78704

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
MH2010
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 02:50:58 pm »

We should probably run that by "Dog, the bounty hunter" and see what he says.
MH2010
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 07:39:59 pm »

Before anyone overreacts research the whole story.
Rowdy
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 08:52:23 pm »

What's wrong with that?  Do you know how loud those suckers can cry?
AMP
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 01:13:29 pm »

Anyone been shocked with one of those things?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UncMrAt5gE4

Chick at the end elects to try out being shot with one.  

I would be hesitent to use one, in fear the battery would go dead on the thing. Most run on a 9-Volt.  Hope it lasts longer than the dozen or more I have to buy every weekend for our PA equipment.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 07:45:40 am »

The woman intentionally used her child as a shield.  Go read the whole story.  It's still messed up, but her fault more than anyone else's.  

Yet no one ever blames a parent or they get lynched (e.g. 2 teenage girls shot at a bar at 3am in North Tulsa).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 09:42:18 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

The woman intentionally used her child as a shield.

That's apparently what the still unidentified bounty hunter claimed.

We seem to be lending an amazing amount of credibility (if not carte blanche) to shadowy figures with no public accountability.
Damn, you'd think this was an election...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 09:51:20 am »

Thats a good point Patric, but the arrest for child endangerment seems to indicate that the police think he is trustworthy.  All I know is that the woman is a criminal and the man is paid to bring her in.  Both have strikes I guess.  So, I guess I do not really know about either side here, so I should have abstained from judgment on either side.

Then again, you could be accused of lending credit to a woman who is wanted on a warrant and put up some resistance with her child in her arms.  Perhaps we  both lent credit where it may not be due.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 01:26:29 pm »

quote:

you could be accused of lending credit to a woman who is wanted on a warrant and put up some resistance with her child in her arms.  Perhaps we  both lent credit where it may not be due.

I couldnt gather from any published reports that the mother was wanted on any warrants, or otherwise in any position to be characterized as a criminal prior to the encounter with the bounty hunter firing a taser into an occupied vehicle.

As far as the "human shield," people instinctively guard against threats by placing their hands between them and the threat, so it's uncertain how this might have played out with an infant in her lap.

TeeDub
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 01:34:02 pm »

So if you are a bounty hunter, you can shoot random innocents who happen to be in the same car as the person you are after.   And the cops not only allow you to do it, but charge the person you shot with the taser!    Wow, it's good to see the system works.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 01:43:10 pm »

I was under the impression that the guy was there to serve a warrant on her.

I clearly do not have all the facts, so I shall abstain from further comment.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 01:46:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TeeDub

So if you are a bounty hunter, you can shoot random innocents who happen to be in the same car as the person you are after.   And the cops not only allow you to do it, but charge the person you shot with the taser!    Wow, it's good to see the system works.

If you shoot someone and they block with a baby, that's not your fault.
TeeDub
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 02:00:30 pm »

quote:

I was under the impression that the guy was there to serve a warrant on her.

I clearly do not have all the facts, so I shall abstain from further comment.

From the article:
 Preliminary police reports said the bounty hunter had tracked a man to a car at an apartment complex in northwest Oklahoma City Friday night.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 02:35:09 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Im sitting in a car with a baby on my lap; someone  shoots through the window in my direction and they hit whom?

Parents go to jail for accidentally leaving kids in cars.  Did the bounty hunter have absolutely no responsibility regarding the consequences of his actions?  Can you just fire away and not have to answer for  collateral damage?

tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 03:05:11 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Im sitting in a car with a baby on my lap; someone  shoots through the window in my direction and they hit whom?

Parents go to jail for accidentally leaving kids in cars.  Did the bounty hunter have absolutely no responsibility regarding the consequences of his actions?  Can you just fire away and not have to answer for  collateral damage?

i agree with you.  In a hostage situation, if a woman were holding a baby, I highly doubt the police would fire shots at the woman simply due to the RISK that the baby might get in the way.  I doubt the guy shot off the taser, THEN the woman moved the baby in the path as a shield - she couldn't have had time to do that.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org