A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:56:23 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vote with your wallet!!  (Read 2160 times)
jtcrissup
« on: October 11, 2007, 09:32:36 pm »

I am sad that people go crazy over a new chain coming to Tulsa.  Why not have some fanfare for the locally owned and run places??? I saw a thread about Ruth's Chris which prompted me to start this new thread/rant which has been bugging me ever since I boomaranged back to Tulsa.

I ate at the Original Ruth's Chris before Katrina hit (30 days before to be exact).  It was nice, pricey (~$50-60/person), and the food was good (OK, the steak was GREAT, and it was slathered in butter).  BUT...Will they be able to re-create the same thing in Tulsa...I think not.  Save your time (cause the lines will be long with Tulsan's wanting to get in line to support the new chain) and go eat somewhere unique to Tulsa.  Some steak place's have been offered up on other threads.  Polo Grill is as good an experience as I had in Ruth's Chris as far as service and food (note prices are comparable).  Not steak places, but...You could also go to Palace Cafe on 15th (the chef owns it AND works there tirelessly! Not some trainee working at a friggin CHAIN!).  Lola's is a great place.  Caz's chowhouse.  Lava.  A Bar. Lucky's. Full Moon. Tucci's. Now I am just rambling great LOCAL places that have great food for a good price that are RARELY busy ('cept on weekends during dinner).  

Get with it Tulsa!!  I know 47.5% of you give 2 craps about this place.  But guess what...just because the vote did not pass doesn't mean you can't vote EVERY DAY with your hard earned dollars!!!  Do something good for the economy by giving your business to Tulsa Owned and Tulsa Operated restaurants/businesses.  Cheesecake factory (yawn) has people lined up to eat there...the food is below average and their prices are reasonable and the portions are "fat person heaven"...so I see why 52.5% of Tulsa is lining up to put the feedbag on.  I just don't see why the "better half" of the city isn't more progressive in their day to day purchases and spending habits.  

I am not talking down to anyone on this board, as I am sure you all share my sentiments and probably already support local eateries...I am really just asking...why don't more Tulsan's support local stuff vs. clamoring to chains??  I lived in Austin for 6 years and guess what happened when Zio's had the bright idea of Franchising to Austin???  Flat on it's face!!  Why?  Austinite's vote every day with their wallet.  Most refuse to spend money on chains which ultimately sends a portion of your money out of town (and state most of the time).

You can make a difference in spite of the herd (52.5%) of Tulsa County.

Tell a friend they can make a difference.

Increase demand for local places by supporting them every chance you can.  Elliot Nelson (McNellie's, El Guapo, Continental, The Colony) is listening.  Other business owners are listening as well.  

When someone says "let's go to <insert chain>" say "let's try something local...I heard <insert local place> is really good".  

It works.  

It changes the way people think.  

Someone did this to me in Austin and it changed the way I think and spend money.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 09:35:53 pm »

a bar is closed.

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
jtcrissup
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 09:46:24 pm »

I hoped it was only temporary...like they went on vacation.  That sucks it is gone for good.  It also looks like we lost Alioli...anyone know the scoop on these 2 places?
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 11:35:32 am »

First let me say I agree with you. When I go out it is to localy owned spots.

Aioli's is probably toast because of Terry Turner's much publicized attack on a few of his female patrons that complained about the service.
jtcrissup
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 12:08:36 pm »

Yeah, I had seen a forwarded email on that.  A couple of friends that I had taken to Alioli while they were visiting from Chicago also received the email...we all thought it was hilarious and hoped it would not impact the business...guess it did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org