A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:04:34 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15th Street Thoughts  (Read 6997 times)
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 08:39:53 am »

quote:
Originally posted by YoungTulsan

Population could be the same, but more people have cars now.  Back in 1960, the family had one car.  Now mom, dad, and both kids all have their own cars to go cavorting around town in.  Highway and traffic planners only project that driving will continue to increase in the near future.

I still like the idea of many midtown streets converting from 4-lane roads to 3 lanes, or 3 lanes with parking though.  Seems possible on certain streets as long as others can offset some of the traffic load.

I see your point about the number of cars...

But as someone who lives near this particular stretch, I'd gladly take a little traffic snarl if it meant the area could actually have some restaurants or something...  It's just so stagnant as it is.  Businesses seems to come and go every year.  Traffic from the neighborhoods near the area could be rerouted to 21st and 11th.  I personally would still drive down 15th because I can't imagine that the traffic would be that much worse.

My adopted home of Austin has a few areas like this, where there is a mishmash of architecture - old houses and duplexes that have been converted along with random commercial strucutres - and they have redeveloped into much more pedestrian friendly areas.  A trendy restaurant or two, plus a few offices kind of like Boston Avenue between 15th and 18th (another street with on-street parking during off-peak traffic times).  I think it would be a big win for Renaissance and Florence Park.

tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 09:10:29 am »

Ok, this thought must be my new obsession. [}:)]

I compared traffic counts on INCOG's website.

15th just west of Harvard = 15,900 cars in 2005
15th just west of Utica = 13,900 cars in 2005
So we have slightly more....So 2,000 cars more per day...that's 100 more per hour or 2 more per minute?  Maybe not a fair assessment since traffice at night is almost non-existant.

In 2004, they had almost identical counts at those same locations.  IN 2000 both locations had a huge spike, but I think that's because they had 21st street torn up to repave at that time IIRC.

And keep in mind, The Harvard intersection has left turn lanes which would help if they did revert to an on-street parking situation on 15th.

15th at Delaware - 13,000 cars in 2005.  There isn't a similar situation on 15th between Utica and Peoria, though oddly enough, there is only a 6,800 car count on 15th just east of Peoria - I find this number a little hard to believe.

Maybe the intersection of 15th and Delaware could be modified a bit to include a left turn lane.  In the mornings there is lots of TU traffic coming in from the BA, and always quite a bit of backup.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 11:08:11 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tulsa1603

Ok, this thought must be my new obsession. [}:)]

I compared traffic counts on INCOG's website.

15th just west of Harvard = 15,900 cars in 2005
15th just west of Utica = 13,900 cars in 2005
So we have slightly more....So 2,000 cars more per day...that's 100 more per hour or 2 more per minute?  Maybe not a fair assessment since traffice at night is almost non-existant.

In 2004, they had almost identical counts at those same locations.  IN 2000 both locations had a huge spike, but I think that's because they had 21st street torn up to repave at that time IIRC.

And keep in mind, The Harvard intersection has left turn lanes which would help if they did revert to an on-street parking situation on 15th.

15th at Delaware - 13,000 cars in 2005.  There isn't a similar situation on 15th between Utica and Peoria, though oddly enough, there is only a 6,800 car count on 15th just east of Peoria - I find this number a little hard to believe.

Maybe the intersection of 15th and Delaware could be modified a bit to include a left turn lane.  In the mornings there is lots of TU traffic coming in from the BA, and always quite a bit of backup.

Something tells me they must've dropped curb-side parking along 15th between Lewis & Harvard when the BA came through.  It is an odd mish-mash of shops and the buildings are getting a little run-down, though I think it adds some character.  

You are correct that morning and evening rush can get a little congested at least to Delaware.  On days when I drive home for lunch, noon time traffic isn't too bad.

I love the area since it is very walkable.  I'm missing my evening walks since I jacked up my knee.  I think my dog is missing it even worse.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 11:24:02 am »

Originally posted by Conan71
I love the area since it is very walkable.  I'm missing my evening walks since I jacked up my knee.  I think my dog is missing it even worse./quote]

No excuse. Get a wagon and have the dog pull you.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org