A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:46:08 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uniquely Tulsa Restaurant  (Read 12723 times)
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 02:22:04 am »

quote:
Originally posted by guido911

Thanks for the input...But would you mind refining the lists of unique restaurants to this parameter. Is there something about Tulsa dining that belongs to Tulsa. More specifically, Philadelphia has its cheesesteaks, Maine has its lobster, Washington has its salmon, Tulsa has ______. (Please, no "corrupt government" comments)

Ranch dressing, we eat it on everything.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 07:21:50 am »

quote:
Originally posted by guido911

With all the chain restaurants throughout Tulsa, is there a local restaurant in Tulsa that says "This is Tulsa" a local could take an out of town visitor?

Can't believe no one mentioned Stonehorse, so I just did.
inteller
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 10:31:07 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

'El Guapos' needs to be renamed 'El GUANOS' [xx(]

this could be fixed with a little spray paint Smiley
waterboy
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 11:10:54 am »

My wife and I agreed that Tulsa's barbeque is a signiture meal here. Even though other areas claim barbeque as their own, we have several fine ones that can't be beat. Knotty Pine, Elmer's and Wilson's come to mind.

But I really would consider chicken fried steak with gravy as well. I judge a restaurant primarily on that menu item. If it passes, I'll return and try other items. Darn hard to find good ones.

BTW, best steak I ever had was at Doe's over on Cherry Street.
doofus
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 12:35:25 pm »

Don't forget Hank's Hamburgers of course, on Admiral just west of the traffic circle.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 04:25:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

BTW, best steak I ever had was at Doe's over on Cherry Street.

Steak? At Doe's, more like best side of beef is more like it at.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
tulsascoot
Civic Leader

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 04:26:05 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

camilles

I 've tried Camille's several time, but it has yet to impress me.

Now a restaurant that says "Tulsa" whether you like it or not, would have to be the Spudder.

perspicuity85
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 05:12:23 pm »

Tulsa's Lebanese steakhouses are unique to most of the country.  Jamil's, Eddy's, and the Silver Flame are all good bets.  Most of them have been in business for well over 25 years.

You might also try Elmer's BBQ.  I have heard it referred to as "Tulsa style" before.

Any local restaurant that combines Midwestern, Southwestern, and Southern food screams Tulsa.  We are the confluence of those 3 regions.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 09:39:21 am »

Damn, we need to put together a Tulsa Travel Guide with all these places listed.  I rack my brain when people come to town because I don't believe you should eat at franchises out of town.  

"Tulsa Restaurants"
"Tulsa Unique Restaurants"

There, now my search will be easier next time I need to find this thread.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dsjeffries
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 10:23:55 am »

I actually just remembered that I have a database of Tulsa restaurants on my computer...  Not all are completely unique to Tulsa, but most are.  If anyone wants it, just let me know.  It's in Excel format.
dsjeffries
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 10:34:53 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Breadburner

White River....Jim's Never On Sunday....Brownies...Celebrity Club...

I always thought Celebrity Club was a strip club--the exterior doesn't exactly scream "restaurant", and it wasn't until they added, "Fine dining" under the name that I knew it was actually a restaurant.  What's the food like there?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 11:12:14 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tulsascoot

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

camilles

I 've tried Camille's several time, but it has yet to impress me.

Now a restaurant that says "Tulsa" whether you like it or not, would have to be the Spudder.

Agreed on The Spudder, at least for atmosphere. Rolls in lunch boxes.  Food's pretty decent too.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 11:48:16 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DScott28604

quote:
Originally posted by Breadburner

White River....Jim's Never On Sunday....Brownies...Celebrity Club...

I always thought Celebrity Club was a strip club--the exterior doesn't exactly scream "restaurant", and it wasn't until they added, "Fine dining" under the name that I knew it was actually a restaurant.  What's the food like there?

Order the fried chicken.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 01:10:31 pm »

The fried chicken at the Celebrity Club is among the best I have ever eaten. I bet the chicken gladly die just for that restaurant.

I also love the Caeser salad made at your table.

The owner, Mike Samara, was also allowed the honor of serving the first leagal mixed drink in Oklahoma. Because he put up so much of the money to pay for the election to make liquor by the drink legal, they gave him his permit a day before anyone else.

Power is nothing till you use it.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 01:32:40 pm »

Nothing says "uniquely Tulsa" like a Sausage Cheeseburger from Ron's.

Legend has it that the sausage cheeseburger was invented by mistake when an employee accidentally mixed the ground sausage with the ground hamburger...and the customer loved it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org