A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:31:43 pm
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Police misconduct 2  (Read 209615 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #240 on: December 12, 2014, 05:46:56 pm »

Denver citizen board getting involved in a classic "citizen records bad cops/cops erase evidence and arrest citizen on his way to the news."
http://kdvr.com/2014/12/11/witness-who-shot-video-of-police-punching-suspect-arrested-sent-to-jail/

Gotta keep them tickets and court appearances in check. And yes they knew right when the warrants were issued and his whereabouts at the time.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #241 on: December 15, 2014, 05:31:17 pm »

76 year old man thrown to the ground and tazed twice. For an inspection sticker the car wasn't even required to have.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2875183/Video-shows-pit-bull-like-Texas-police-officer-using-Taser-76-year-old-man-TWICE-pulling-expired-inspection-sticker.html

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #242 on: December 19, 2014, 11:06:28 pm »

76 year old man thrown to the ground and tazed twice. For an inspection sticker the car wasn't even required to have.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2875183/Video-shows-pit-bull-like-Texas-police-officer-using-Taser-76-year-old-man-TWICE-pulling-expired-inspection-sticker.html

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/12/dashcam-catches-texas-cop-manhandling-stunning-elderly-man/

A local Texas police department has placed an officer on administrative duty following a Thursday scuffle with a 76-year-old man pulled over for allegedly displaying expired tags.

The motorist, Pete Vasquez, was stopped at an auto dealership—where he worked and had just pulled into. He is seen exiting the vehicle—owned by the lot—to show the officer that the car has dealer plates. He also tried to get the dealership manager's attention.

The brutality by the 23-year-old officer, Nathanial Robinson, then ensues. The officer is seen grabbing the man's arm and wrestling him to the ground in a Nelson hold. The two disappear from the dashcam's site, and the officer then appears standing, having drawn his stun gun. In the background is Drake's "Under Ground Kings" blaring from the patrol car's stereo, making it difficult to decipher the officer's words in front of the vehicle.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVNwPD7CPR8[/youtube]
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2015, 06:04:19 pm »

Family outraged after son's mug shot found used in target practice by Miami police.

A trip to a Florida gun range left a National Guard soldier in tears when the face of her own brother was found being used as target practice by Miami police.
A bullet-riddled photo of Woody Deant was discovered by his own sister last month when she visited the shooting range.

North Miami Beach Police Chief J. Scott Dennis has defended the use of mug shots for target practice, saying it's vital for facial recognition drills.
“This can create a very dangerous situation,” an attorney for the family said. “And it has been ingrained in your subconscious what does that mean when someone [police] comes across Woody or another person on the street and their decision-making process on using deadly force or not.”

"If police discovered citizens using photos of cops for target practice, their reaction would no doubt be different."
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #244 on: January 22, 2015, 02:06:59 pm »

I don't think this falls under misconduct. But I'm sure there won't be an outcry of rights being violated since the black man killed with his hands up was shot multiple times by a black officer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2920141/Video-shows-man-shot-New-Jersey-police-raising-hands.html

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #245 on: January 23, 2015, 10:07:22 am »

Wow. Watch this video. I'm thinking a couple of warning shots could have prevented this death. He was scared and running away.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepage1/muskogee-police-release-video-footage-of-officer-shooting-armed-man/article_fed8ff3e-847e-5c8b-b155-64c4332a6cdd.html

rebound
City Father

« Reply #246 on: January 23, 2015, 11:25:22 am »

Wow. Watch this video. I'm thinking a couple of warning shots could have prevented this death. He was scared and running away.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepage1/muskogee-police-release-video-footage-of-officer-shooting-armed-man/article_fed8ff3e-847e-5c8b-b155-64c4332a6cdd.html

Seriously?  A man who has already threatened people, with a loaded gun, who runs from police during a pat down, drops the gun, picks it up, and then turns toward the cop with said gun (with the hammer cocked, if we believe the audio) and you want a warning shot?  Sorry, there are situations to question shooting, but this ain't one of them. 

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #247 on: January 23, 2015, 11:46:25 am »

Seriously?  A man who has already threatened people, with a loaded gun, who runs from police during a pat down, drops the gun, picks it up, and then turns toward the cop with said gun (with the hammer cocked, if we believe the audio) and you want a warning shot?  Sorry, there are situations to question shooting, but this ain't one of them. 

He turned toward the cop? I saw him turn sideways and try and pick something up. One shot overhead and him actually turn and raise something toward the officer then would justify multiple shots and killing him.
But I'm sure Internal Affairs will view the video the same way you do. So all is right with police deadly force.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2015, 11:50:07 am »

Six days seems like a long time to sit on video thats supposed to clear you.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2015, 12:13:34 pm »

He turned toward the cop? I saw him turn sideways and try and pick something up. One shot overhead and him actually turn and raise something toward the officer then would justify multiple shots and killing him.
But I'm sure Internal Affairs will view the video the same way you do. So all is right with police deadly force.

1) Where is that warning shot going to land? 9mm round averages 1300fps, two seconds after firing, depending on the angle the shot is fired, that slug still has fatal velocity and is a half mile away.

2)Some one starts to point a gun at you, are you willing to give up five seconds firing a warning shot and give him a chance to fire back before you can aim and fire a second time?

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html
rebound
City Father

« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2015, 12:28:56 pm »

"So all is right with police deadly force"  Wow, broad brush there.  I specifically did not say that, and called out that there are (numerous) times where serious question should be given to the appropriateness of police actions.  But we must also be realistic in each circumstance, and in this one the rational review is that the shooting was appropriate.

I won't review it all again, but: the cop knows guy has a gun on him and he has already threatened people, (b) guy drops his gun in running away, AND STOPS TO PICK IT UP TO REGAIN POSSESSION OF THE WEAPON, and while doing so turns at least generally back towards the cop.  The gun is found loaded, with the hammer cocked.  To advocate further hesitation on the part of the police officer would be to ask that he was shot at first before returning fire, and that is simply not a logical restriction to place on police officers.  Also, in general, warning shots are not done due to possible collateral injuries or deaths.

With regard to Patric's question of delay in the release of the video, I agree, but have nothing else to add on that aspect.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2015, 12:29:26 pm »

1) Where is that warning shot going to land? 9mm round averages 1300fps, two seconds after firing, depending on the angle the shot is fired, that slug still has fatal velocity and is a half mile away.

2)Some one starts to point a gun at you, are you willing to give up five seconds firing a warning shot and give him a chance to fire back before you can aim and fire a second time?

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

To the ground far right. I'm sure a trained Officer who can kill you. Can surely shoot safely and miss you.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2015, 12:43:22 pm »

To the ground far right. I'm sure a trained Officer who can kill you. Can surely shoot safely and miss you.

Okay in this scenario you may be right. But not every scenario is the same.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2015, 12:51:54 pm »

Maybe I've just seen to many movies and have a whole skewed idea as to how these officers(in my opinion)should react in these situations. Loss of life means so much devastation to more than one person being gone.
I truly am not trying to be another vershawna nervona here. I have no axe to grind with Police Officers and was only suggesting my point of view after seeing the video. That maybe something could have been done differently and the young man would still be alive today.
Here was another thought. They knew who he was, where he lives. So what about letting him continue to run off and arrest him at a later point?

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2015, 01:14:16 pm »

Maybe I've just seen to many movies and have a whole skewed idea as to how these officers(in my opinion)should react in these situations. Loss of life means so much devastation to more than one person being gone.
I truly am not trying to be another vershawna nervona here. I have no axe to grind with Police Officers and was only suggesting my point of view after seeing the video. That maybe something could have been done differently and the young man would still be alive today.
Here was another thought. They knew who he was, where he lives. So what about letting him continue to run off and arrest him at a later point?

Never thought you were going nervona. It's easy to armchair QB things. As for letting him go, he went there with the intention (as reported) to kill someone, and in that case you can't let an armed suspect run free thinking he will just show up at home. His actions show an intent, and the act of pointing a gun at an officer that was chasing him, depending on his state of mind (none of us know what that was) it could be a case of suicide by cop. Who knows.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org