A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:51:30 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Flavor (Makes you think of home)  (Read 3634 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: September 06, 2015, 06:58:34 pm »

Was looking at a neat London poster and it was a design composed of words.  The words evoked "London" it's identity and sense of place.  Landmarks (London Bridge, Westminster,Trafalger Square, etc.) , sayings (Keep Calm and Carry On, Mind the Gap, etc) , people, things (Double Decker Bus, Tardis, etc.) , food (Tea, Fish & Chips, Bangers and Mash), mythical people even (Sherlock Holmes) History, etc.  

I thought, what a neat idea.  What are some things that evoke the same for Tulsa/Tulsa County?  

Blue Dome     Brady Arts     Outsiders   Scissortail
Buffalo   Cherokee   CreekIndians    Wind   Tornadoes  CrowCreek
ArkansasRiver    Osage    WhittierSquare    UticaSquare KeystoneDam  LakeYahola
Oil   TU   ORU   Blue Whale     GoldenDriller  Aviation  
Council Oak    May Rooms    Philbrook   Gilcrease
Owen Park   Maple Ridge   Brady Heights       Art Deco    Flappers   Oil Barons
Philips   Philcade    Philtower     IPE    Route 66
Oil Capitol     Green Country    TulsaBallet    WoodyGuthrie SpotlightTheater    CainsBallroom    BobWills  LeonRussel  TulsaSound TheGAP-Band
Boston Avenue Church      Bells    Camelot     TulsaTime     AdmiralTwin    Hanson   SE Hinton
PattyPage   Woodland Hills    Michael Wallis    PaulHarvey    TulsaOilers   TulsaDrillers    OilWells
BlackGold   Indians   Prairie  Wind   GarthBrooks
DECOPOLIS (I can add that cause it's my idea lol)  IDA-Red  DwellingSpaces  BruceGoff  PrayerTower    PrayingHands   BOKCenter   CenterOfTheUniverse
UnionDepot   AdamsHotel   ChristTheKing  Greenwood   Brookside   CherryStreet   Channel6   Channel2   Channel8   Channel11PBS     UnionHigh
BookerT-High  MohawkPark  LaFortune   RoseGarden  TurkeyMountain   Quakenado   BooHaHa  MissJackson’s  MissDeHaven’s   LostCity
KendalWhittier  Mid-ConBuilding Perryman McBirneyMansion  PythianBuilding  SandSprings  SkellyMansion SophianPlaza  StandpipeHill  TulsaGardenCenter  Vandevers
GardnersBooks   AdamsHotel   AHHA  PrettyBoyFloyd  MaBarker  Trula  PonyBoy  TulsaWorld   OralRoberts   Halliburton   Git-n-Go
QuickTrip   Williams  Spartan   Penningtons   DesertHillsMotel  Tally’sCafe   ThePearl   CircleCinema   MayoHotel  MeadowGoldSign
WillRogersHigh  RoseBowl  JPaulGetty  SkellyOil
JJCale  RoyClark  LeonRussel  DwightTwilley  JohnHopeFranklin    WoodwardPark  SwanLake
Westhope  SkellyMansion  DonWoods   GailardSartain  TonyRandall  MaryKayPlace  
JosephRKoberling  CharlesPage  JenniferJones  
IndianTerritory   BrookTheater  BOK  Bungalows  
GrandMansions  Getty  OwenPark BruceGoff   AdaRobinson  AmbassadorHotel  TrinityEpiscopal  
AtlasLifeBuilding  ARCO-Towercade  JPaulGetty
FirstPresbyterian TurkeyMountain  LookoutMountain  UnionDepot  Glenpool  Bixby  SandSprings Sperry  Skiatook  Owasso  Collinsville BrokenArrow  WillRogers  LivinOnTulsaTime  TakeMeBackToTulsa  DaltonGang  GreatRaftRace  Stormgasm TulsaTough  CrybabyHill

Additions, deletions?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 06:25:33 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Denizen
Tourist

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 03:11:45 pm »

Great list! I would add a few food-related items: coneys, Brownies, Weber's.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 02:46:44 pm »

Yeah, how could you leave off Coney I-Lander?
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 06:01:33 pm »

Good points.   I have decided to split things up into several "posters"  Visiting Tulsa (Golden Driller, Philbrook, Center of the Universe, BOK, Tulsa Zoo,) , Deco Tulsa (Boston Ave Methodist, Philcade, etc.) , Places of Tulsa (Brookside, The Pearl,)  People of Tulsa (Paul Harvey, SE Hinton, Waite Phillips etc.), Holy Tulsa, Lost Tulsa, and Notorious Tulsa (May Rooms, Hangin Tree, Ma Barker). 

Kind of like this... https://www.kingandmcgaw.com/prints/transport-for-london/london-transport-bus-blind-422190#422190::media:0

and this   http://www.amazon.com/Stupell-Home-London-Cities-Plaque/dp/B006GXWZTO/?keywords=london+wall+art&qid=1382834181&ref=sr_1_6&ie=UTF8&sr=8-6

Then later do some where they form images out of the words. When I first started I thought I might not have enough of each thing, but have been quite surprised at how many interesting, people, sights, areas, etc. we have. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 11:43:51 am »

Home Depot, Olive Garden, Staples, Lowes, Petsmart, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, Sam's, McDonald's, Dollar General, Pei Wei, Starbucks, Subway, Cheese Cake Factory, Old Navy, Applebee's, Panda Express, Dick's Sporting Goods, Bed Bath & Beyond, Hobby Lobby, Toys R Us, Outback Steakhouse, Chuck E Cheese, Taco Bell, Taco Bueno, Dave & Busters, Target, Office Depot, Burger King, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Sprouts, Pizza Hut, Arby's, Schlotsky's, Red Lobster, Sonic, Stein Mart, Kohls, Chick-fil-A, Chilis...

Oh, sorry, I drove to Dallas a few weeks ago, and was struck by how many places have the same old crap everywhere.  

Tulsa really needs to re-focus on who we are, and not focus on "checking off boxes" of national chains. We cannot compete with any other cities if all we do is build the same crap the same ways as everyone else.  We can't let our growth be driven by out of state developers with standard issue templates and their own agendas. Topeka can do that.  We need to find our heart and go with that.

Artist, you're on the right track!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:55:34 am by PonderInc » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org