A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:52:47 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remodeling of Central Library  (Read 10560 times)
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 02:32:12 pm »

Good point.  I'll be interested to see what they come up with.  The photograph in the World showed what looked like some extensive renovation.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 03:47:34 pm »

Yes, they could have added a new entrance that enhanced the original architecture. Gave it a fresh and more welcoming look that way.  I wonder who in the city keeps allowing this type of thing to happen? Exactly who does make these descisions?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
booWorld
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 05:29:27 pm »

For right now, I'm fairly satisfied with the Central Library as it is.  And I use it -- very frequently.

The building has been altered many times since I moved to Tulsa in 1989.  The gold grilles above the north entry were removed a long time ago, probably because so many birds were roosting and nesting behind them.  So the north side of the building isn't in its original configuration, anyway.  The new north entry will not be at the centerline of the building.  I think the new design will appear off-balance, but I haven't seen any drawings of it, so I don't know.  

Central Library is large enough for me.  As the TMAPC pursues its insatiable quest to downzone inner city neighborhoods to incredibly low suburban densities, it makes sense to have more and larger libraries in the suburbs where the people who are paying for the library system actually live.

One of the reasons that so many items are in storage in the Central Library's basements is because the maximum circulation period is only two weeks.  I think they ought to try a four week circulation period with more generous renewals for books unless requested by another patron.  This would get more books off the shelves and out of the building, freeing up shelf space on the public floors so more of the collection could be brought out of the basements.

The Peggy Helmerich Award ceremony could be held somewhere such as the Mayo Hotel instead of on the second floor of Central Library.  That would open up lots of space for more items to be brought up from the basements.

Central Library has its problems, but it works for me.  I appreciate the great service that the Tulsa City County Library System provides.  There's no need to close Carson Avenue and create yet another superblock in downtown Tulsa.  Superblocks are urban destroyers.

joiei
City Father

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 05:24:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by booWorld

For right now, I'm fairly satisfied with the Central Library as it is.  And I use it -- very frequently.

The new north entry will not be at the centerline of the building.  I think the new design will appear off-balance, but I haven't seen any drawings of it, so I don't know.  

If you havent seen any renderings, or plans how can you make an informed desision on the design?

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
MichaelBates
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2007, 09:21:45 pm »

I've heard several times on this board that the central library building could support two additional floors. Is this being explored as an option?

I hate the garage entrance, too, but the plaza level atrium leading to the staircase at the north end was awe-inspiring when I was a kid, and I still think it's pretty neat.
booWorld
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 04:06:19 am »

quote:
Originally posted by joiei

quote:
Originally posted by booWorld

The new north entry will not be at the centerline of the building.  I think the new design will appear off-balance, but I haven't seen any drawings of it, so I don't know.  

If you havent seen any renderings, or plans how can you make an informed desision on the design?

A librarian walked me through the design a few days ago.  He gave me a good explanation of the work being done and the reasons behind it.

However, without seeing renderings, I'm not certain if the design will appear to be off-balance or not.  If the north entry is intended to look like the new curved sign at 5th & Denver, then I think it will be off-balance and out of place in the sense of blending with the original building.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 11:47:40 am »

Library Will Reveal Plans for Central Makeover

http://kwgs.com/post/library-will-reveal-plans-central-makeover

Design plans for Central Library’s renovations will be unveiled this evening.

They’ll be on display at 6 p.m. tonight at Central.

Work on the site will begin in September, and is expected to last two years.

Tulsa Library CEO Gary Shaffer says in the meantime, Central Library will temporarily relocate.

“We have rented space at 11 and Denver,” he said. “Most people know it as the old Safeway store, or the old Homeland store.”

“We’ll have computers, some limited programming area, and then a small collection,” he said, “but people of course can always request books” through the hold system.

All of Central Library’s resources will be available by request.

Shaffer says that when the building was first built, it was state-of-the-art. The goal is to bring it up to date to again be on the cutting edge.

“The building itself will be getting a complete facelift on the outside, complete renovation on the inside,” he said. “It’ll look like a brand new space.”

He says plans also include adding parking, as well as adding a children’s garden between the parking structure and the library building.

“Also (we’re) looking at an auditorium or other needed public space,” Shaffer said.

Shaffer says funding will come from money the library system has saved, public dollars where available and private donors.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 11:31:00 am »

An Update on the Renovation of the TCCL's Central Library in Downtown Tulsa

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/update-renovation-tccls-central-library-downtown-tulsa

On this edition of our show, we welcome Gary Shaffer, CEO of the Tulsa City-County Library. The TCCL's Central Library, in the heart of downtown Tulsa, has recently entered its "public phase," with direct fund-raising appeals being made to the public to complete the mid-century-modern building's vast, thorough, and state-of-the-art renovation. Demolition of the building's interior is now complete; the actual construction of the new Central Library has begun. Shaffer talks with us about what this new facility will offer, how it will look, when it will open to the public, what role(s) it will play in the cultural and social life of downtown, and so forth. (Please note that you can learn more about this renovation, and view a six-minute video that depicts it, at this link from the TCCL website.)
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 01:03:10 pm »

Is this a Michael Sager project?
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 01:55:11 pm »

Is this a Michael Sager project?

Is that a giant LED marquis?
If you're going to spend money like that, then spend it on some bulletproof glass along the courthouse side.  Wink

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 06:53:48 pm »

Is that a giant LED marquis?
If you're going to spend money like that, then spend it on some bulletproof glass along the courthouse side.  Wink

It is, but I got the impression that maybe it is some sort of e-ink type thing instead of normal LCD.

If it isn't they should consider it..
http://www.eink.com/large_area_signage.html
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 09:50:19 pm »

More curious... sure are a lot of people mingling about.. 
Maybe it's because it's garden movie night - or so the ginormous e-ink sign says
rdj
City Father

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 08:34:36 am »

Those are trick or treaters and the garden movie is a scary one.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 06:57:24 am »

I don't think this graphic artist has ever seen the actual central library patrons.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 08:55:26 am »

I don't think this graphic artist has ever seen the actual central library patrons.

Yeah...nice clothes, in shape, no garbage bags thrown over their shoulders...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org