A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:35:44 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there Mafia in Tulsa  (Read 51337 times)
izmophonik
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 08:05:21 am »

I think Ti Amo's is about the best I've had around here. I would also say Pomodori's is excellent as well.  Chicken Alfredo with sun dried tomoatoes ..mmmm.
izmophonik
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 08:06:43 am »

Kal's is still open.  I hear radio ads all the time for them.

quote:
Originally posted by joiei

A friend told me Kal's closed the day after the golfer left.  I haven't been down Lewis to check the rumor out.  Anybody have input as to it still being in business.

dbacks fan
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 08:36:06 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Der Teufel

I originally wrote about this couple in my post on best restaurants.  Kingmutt is correct, the woman is extremely attractive, and the Sopranoesque man is a little intimidating. My wife and I have seen them at some of Tulsa's better eateries.

However, regardless of who or what this couple is or is not, mutt does bring up an interesting question.  Is there organized crime in Tulsa, aside from the Roger Wheeler incident?

Does anyone remember R&M Music Company? They owned just about every vending machine in Tulsa into the 1990's. They were always suspect of organizes crime.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 09:00:28 am »

No, Kal's Chophouse is dead.  Dead as a porterhouse steak.  Closed a couple weeks back.

Is there a mob in Tulsa?  Bob Dick is still in the area, so I'd say so.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
iplaw
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 09:12:37 am »

I've heard stories for years regarding one specific family with ties...my father worked with them for years.  Are they the Sporanos type...who knows?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 09:31:08 am »

Ever since this thread appeared, people have been trying to kiss my ring.

Youse guys need to be a little more quiet, ya know?

Power is nothing till you use it.
stymied
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 10:32:20 am »

When I was 15 I worked at a dishwasher for a local steakhouse that started with an "F".  The rumor was that the owner was tied with the mob.  I heard many stories, but I saw with my own eyes several guys that were very busy leading up to the weekend bookmaking during football season.  The phone line that went to the room was also at the bar, as the bartender was one of the guys taking bets.  I was told never, ever answer that phone.  This was before cell phones.
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 10:46:59 am »

The simple answer to this thread is 'YES'  Anywhere you go, you can find well organized crime that usually has close 'family' ties.  

Unrelated (or related??), what happened to Kal's?  I was planning to go there real soon.  At all the Tulsa food events, they have some of the best to offer.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 10:58:55 am »

quote:
Originally posted by jne

The simple answer to this thread is 'YES'  Anywhere you go, you can find well organized crime that usually has close 'family' ties.  

Unrelated (or related??), what happened to Kal's?  I was planning to go there real soon.  At all the Tulsa food events, they have some of the best to offer.

Long story.  Look up the restaurants which are no longer in Tulsa thread under discussion.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 11:04:38 am »

A Bar is dead as well.....I say Prive' will be next......

joiei
City Father

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 11:49:07 am »

About A Bar and Kitchen, there is a note on the door that they are closed until Sept 15th.  Maybe taking a vacation?

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
KingMutt
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 12:07:54 pm »

OK. I talked to a guy I work with who has lived here for forty years.  He says that Kal's was not Italian.  That guy was from the Middle East.  He said there was once an Italian place close to there that was owned by a mob connected family.  He said that they had other businesses and that the guy Der Tuefel and I have seen (if it is the same one) is their cousin and a local attorney.  I don't want to say their names and get sued or worse[}:)]! He said they weren't people to screw around with and the attorney is evidently a mean SOB.

So have you guys ever heard anything like that?  And if it is true, how could a mobster get a law license?  Don't you have to have some kind of background check?

I could see that happening in New Jersey, but not here.
iplaw
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 12:17:38 pm »

quote:
the attorney is evidently a mean SOB
Aren't they all?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 12:30:34 pm »

Kal was kind of a wannabe gangster.  You are correct, he is of Arab heritage, not Italian.  They had a "back room" that would kind of remind you of the back room at some of the "social clubs" around NYC and Jersey.

People have said for years that some of the  Lebanese families in the area are sort of like mafia families, though that's more hyperbole than fact.

Back in the '60's and '70's there was somewhat of an organized crime network.  Wealthy ranchers murdered mysteriously, judges getting their cars bombed, witnesses disappearing, prositution, drug, and gambling rings, state legislators with more power than the governor, governors being convicted of tax cheats, etc.  It's all true.  Whether or not it was connected to the KC, Chicago, Detroit, or NY mob is anyone's guess.

KingMutt
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 12:30:54 pm »

I mean like he is violent and bad tempered or so I was told.

Of course, he must do something right to have such a hottie for a wife![Tongue][Cheesy]

Ip, don't you have to have a background check to be a lawyer?

Do you know who these people are and if there's any truth to that?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org