A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:05:37 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there Mafia in Tulsa  (Read 51910 times)
iplaw
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2007, 12:45:32 pm »

quote:
Ip, don't you have to have a background check to be a lawyer?
Unless you gots people on the inside...

KingMutt
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2007, 01:50:31 pm »

wait a minute, Kal is the guy wth the commercial that said, "We have the most beautiful steaks, the most beautiful lobster, the most beautiful desserts..."  I saw that on TV.  That was funny!

A Mafia wannabe. Why would anybody want to be in the Mafia?  Like I said, in Cherry Hill, we ran the other way from people who looked like that.

And the Italian/Goomba women are just as foul mouthed and bad.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2007, 02:47:32 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by KingMutt

wait a minute, Kal is the guy wth the commercial that said, "We have the most beautiful steaks, the most beautiful lobster, the most beautiful desserts..."  I saw that on TV.  That was funny!

A Mafia wannabe. Why would anybody want to be in the Mafia?  Like I said, in Cherry Hill, we ran the other way from people who looked like that.

And the Italian/Goomba women are just as foul mouthed and bad.

I dunno, why do suburban kids dress like urban kids and listen to 130 db's of rap when they are driving down the road.

Some people just identify with that.

The investors that I knew in the Kal's business were anything but gangsterish.  Kal is a character, but I wouldn't have hired him to run my chophouse.  Entertaining and charming front man.  Not a great manager.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
grahambino
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2007, 03:03:39 pm »

As the godfather of the Grahambino crime syndicate, Tulsa Chapter.  I just felt I needed make my presence known in this thread.

Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2007, 03:21:00 pm »

Well, I've heard a thing or two about a certain Mid-Town Mafia, ask Bates.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2007, 03:50:21 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

Is that why our mayor is referred to as the "Godmother"?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
monterey1967
Citizen

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2007, 07:32:56 pm »

back in the 60s i work at a resort at grand lake.  we had a regular guest named tony that was a owner of the canteen vending company.  it was rumored that he was a mobster.  he would always have the best car at the resort and a new blonde with him about every weekend.  bought a new chris craft about every two years. tony would give me a $5 bill for just putting ice in his boat ice chest.  lot of $ for a 16 year old in the 60s.

cks511
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2007, 02:13:13 pm »

There were always stories about the 'family' who owned the Bates Motel across from East Central.  And, always the stories about the Avalon, the old location.  As usual I just know stories, no solid source.  But hey, what the heck.
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2007, 02:36:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Breadburner

A Bar is dead as well.....I say Prive' will be next......

Doe's will be next....

And the mob left when Tommy's Continental went down.....
MichaelBates
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2007, 10:50:43 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cks511

There were always stories about the 'family' who owned the Bates Motel across from East Central.  And, always the stories about the Avalon, the old location.  As usual I just know stories, no solid source.  But hey, what the heck.

As far as I know, I'm not related to anyone connected with that place of accommodation, but I've been curious about it ever since I saw the name in an old phone book. If you know stories, I'd love to hear them -- post 'em here or PM me.

The fact that Tulsa had a real Bates Motel (Tourist Hotel, actually) ought to be something we could exploit as part of our overall Route 66 tourism strategy.
waterboy
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2007, 10:13:18 am »

I had a relative we used to visit back in the late fifties on a farm just west of the old Bates. They were pretty eccentric. Had an oil derrick in their front yard and operated a worm farm. The kids assured us the place was haunted. They had visited it and were too scared to even talk about it.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2007, 03:47:55 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

Is that why our mayor is referred to as the "Godmother"?

No, but it might be that recycle has some friends that are guardian’s for the family.   It seems that he stands guard over the city controllers to keep them from not being recycled with those with new ideas.

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2007, 04:20:38 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelBates

quote:
Originally posted by cks511

As far as I know, I'm not related to anyone connected with that place of accommodation, but I've been curious about it ever since I saw the name in an old phone book. If you know stories, I'd love to hear them -- post 'em here or PM me.

The fact that Tulsa had a real Bates Motel (Tourist Hotel, actually) ought to be something we could exploit as part of our overall Route 66 tourism strategy.

Best I remember was the Bates Motel and Filling Station well outside Tulsa, on the two lane paved road, was built by Sinclair.  It was build before the days of fast auto travel and too far out of town.  The roof was made of 1 inch black slate singles.  It, like the Camelot, was in a time frame that out children will look at the pictures and say why were they not preserved?.  

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
MichaelBates
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2007, 09:05:17 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

I had a relative we used to visit back in the late fifties on a farm just west of the old Bates. They were pretty eccentric. Had an oil derrick in their front yard and operated a worm farm. The kids assured us the place was haunted. They had visited it and were too scared to even talk about it.

So by the late '50s, it had already been out of business for a while?
waterboy
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2007, 10:35:31 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelBates

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

So by the late '50s, it had already been out of business for a while?

Memories of a child are suspect. But I know it was defunct in the mid sixties as we used to drive by there on the way to the lake.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org