A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:25:17 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wind Power Factory opens in East Tulsa  (Read 7086 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: August 22, 2007, 06:05:19 am »

http://www.nawindpower.com/naw/e107_plugins/content/content_lt.php?content.1115

quote:

West Fargo, N.D.-based wind tower manufacturer DMI Industries has formally acquired a building at 15300 Tiger Switch Road in Tulsa, Okla., for its new wind tower production plant, which is expected to be operational in early 2008.

In addition, the company says that it plans to employ about 450 people at the new plant and is currently seeking at least 200 employees to begin operations on opening day. DMI plans to hire the vast majority of employees locally, including welders, painters and steel plate rollers, as well as general management, supervisory, human resources and administrative personnel.

Tulsa employees will be trained on-site and in the company's West Fargo and Fort Erie facilities. When it is economically feasible, DMI adds, the company will engage local and regional suppliers to meet the plant's day-to-day operational needs.

The Tulsa plant will feature half a million square feet of production space. According to the company, DMI's annual tower production from the Tulsa plant and two existing facilities will support a total of more than 3,000 MW of installed wind project capacity, based on today's tower and turbine technologies and designs.

(that is about Apache and 145th)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 07:59:36 am »

This has been in the works for a long while, they had a contract on the building for about 6 months now.  This should be a top notch company offering good manufacturing jobs as well as management and possibly engineering positions in the future.  It is also designed to utilize the Port as it will be able to manufacture turbines for the Gulf.

A birdie told me there might be a major wind project going in North and West of Tulsa.  Cross your fingers, it could be very good for the area's image.  Everyone loves green power all of a sudden.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 08:31:36 am »

Thats old news.[Wink] They have already started hiring. http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=134312

And just to be picky. Its not a Wind Power Factory. This facility will just build the poles. The "towers" only, not the turbines, blades, etc. I believe the facility once, and may yet, made poles for other uses like cell phone towers. I dont even think the company that bought the facility makes wind turbines, etc. they just make one part, the "pole".  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 09:06:10 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Thats old news.[Wink] They have already started hiring. http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=134312

And just to be picky. Its not a Wind Power Factory. This facility will just build the poles. The "towers" only, not the turbines, blades, etc. I believe the facility once, and may yet, made poles for other uses like cell phone towers. I dont even think the company that bought the facility makes wind turbines, etc. they just make one part, the "pole".  

Old news? you linked to a story from yesterday.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 09:24:00 am »

Here is the link to a map that shows the wind energy potentil in Oklahoma.

http://www2.ocgi.okstate.edu/website/owpi2/viewer.htm

The wind in the eastern half of the state does not blow consistent enough for power generation.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Aa5drvr
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 10:20:13 am »

But isnt this the ill fated Griffin Wheel plant that East Tulsans have already paid the opportunity cost, for?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 10:47:39 am »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

The wind in the eastern half of the state does not blow consistent enough for power generation.

That was my understanding too... but I have credible sources that tell me they are considering major wind development in NW Osage county and into southern Kansas.  Not saying it is a sure thing, but there are very credible groups with money and federal support looking into it.

and you are correct that it is only a tower manufacture, not the turbines themselves.  However, the original article mentioned the port as a significant reason for locating here.  It gives them export potential.
http://www.technologynewsdaily.com/node/7537

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
rwarn17588
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 11:55:16 am »

According to the map RM linked to, the wind potential in north-northwest Osage County is quite good (if you look close, there's a smidge of red up there for the highest range, and plenty of pink).

So it would make sense to put turbines up there.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 12:17:11 pm »

You are right. I didn't see that little amount of red.

Location to market is important because of transmission loss.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 12:17:55 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aa5drvr

But isnt this the ill fated Griffin Wheel plant that East Tulsans have already paid the opportunity cost, for?

Yes, I understand they are completing that facility but how did East Tulsan's pay the opportunity cost for the never completed Griffen plant?

From my review DMI is a class act a and a welcome assent.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 03:20:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

I know. I wasnt going to dredge up stories from months ago. Showing the company may be moving, did purchase, was getting the facility ready,... Its obvious those things have to happen before you hire people, aka the story from yesterday.

Its also old news because people were arguing about it in threads months ago and talking about it moving to the facility and how it could make wind energy more likely in the area. (which I argued it would not) Then we hear about them finally getting to the point of them hiring. Then you post a new thread on here about them aquiring a building as if that were the new news.

Here is an older story if you want.  http://kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=126555

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 03:30:23 pm »

This is great news about great jobs for a great company with a great mission. This is the kind of businesses that Tulsa should focus on attracting. Look, I'm cheer leading.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 08:09:56 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

I know. I wasnt going to dredge up stories from months ago. Showing the company may be moving, did purchase, was getting the facility ready,... Its obvious those things have to happen before you hire people, aka the story from yesterday.

Its also old news because people were arguing about it in threads months ago and talking about it moving to the facility and how it could make wind energy more likely in the area. (which I argued it would not) Then we hear about them finally getting to the point of them hiring. Then you post a new thread on here about them aquiring a building as if that were the new news.

Here is an older story if you want.  http://kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=126555

One additional comment is that even though they just build poles, wind turbines are assembled on site so there is no true "factory" in that case.
Aa5drvr
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 05:00:54 am »

>>wind turbines are assembled on site so there is no true "factory" in that case.

Thats the way of the world.  
Just got back from seeing the 787 Dreamliner at the Boeing factory.  
Boeing has 2 and soon will have 4 modified 747 "Dreamlifters" to haul components from all around the world for final assembly in Everett, WA.  

One thing a Boeing official told us was that by buying all of the components from around the world and then doing final assembly, the product liability costs are spread among these many supplier partners as he referred to them.
One thing on Boeing spec sheet for the 787 assembly facility (that Tulsa wanted ala V2025) was a deep water port which they have in Everett.  After some consideration, the time in transit issues vs inventory cost dictated that it was cheaper to fly the components in from all over the world than to have them on the high seas for weeks.  
So the deep water port became a non issue.  Although there ARE indeed a bunch of ocean containers at the boeing plants, in Everett and Renton.

As far as DMI goes, good for them and best wishes.

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 08:19:41 am »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

According to the map RM linked to, the wind potential in north-northwest Osage County is quite good (if you look close, there's a smidge of red up there for the highest range, and plenty of pink).

So it would make sense to put turbines up there.

There is a producing wind farm just a 100 miles NNW of here.  It is located 5 miles S of Beaumont Kansas (45 miles east of Wichita) on a large cattle ranch.  Now that country looks the same as the Osage, has similar interests with cattle, wide open spaces, and oil and is in the same type of terrain (lower end of the flint hills) so maybe...

Google Earth has pics.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org