A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:52:45 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $B-B-BILLION Jenks River Development Lure Driller  (Read 50654 times)
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 02:43:17 pm »

Shoot, I'd go there. Been to Riverwalks and it rocks. We can't get our shoot together, and Jenks does it - then we get mad and curse Jenks. The firm that designed this have their shoot together - study some of the stuff Baltimore City has done. That should be a blueprint for Tulsa to follow.

We get a big box walmart smack dab in the middle of downtown - they get our stadium, and all the money.

Shoot
Yeah, shoot.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 02:47:11 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by aoxamaxoa

It amazes me how many people believe this type of development has the critical mass neccesary to become reality.

The media never questions the rationale behind this kind of dreaming.

[V]

Its one of the wealthiest, fastest growing areas in the state. They can pull from most of south Tulsa, Jenks, Bixby, and Glenpool. Its right on the river, near other attractions. And they can get a huge tract of property.

Where else in the whole region could you find a better spot or more likely location to do a development like this? 95% of all my work comes from within a 5 or 6 miles of that area. Lots of young wealthy people and gobs more to come. If this development happens it will only spur more people to move to the area.

Plus its not as though its a huuuge development. May be for our state. But like my grandpappy always says, "A billion aint what it used to be".

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 03:09:27 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

The baseball field is south of 106th so we'll say 108th or 109th. The power plant is from 111th to 121st. So the north end of plant property is less than half a mile from the stadium property. Not to mention the plant in Jenks is far larger than the old plant in Tulsa.

Looking at Google Earth, the main part of the power plant is at 115th stretching onto about 122nd. There's nothing north of there. And there are half million dollar homes within a couple of blocks of the power plant too. It's pretty well shielded.

Tulsa Landing would have an Oil Refinery within 500 feet, directly across I-244 and the Branson Landing people want in there.
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 03:15:07 pm »

Here's the real problem.

Jenks has officially pissed off Tulsa.

Not good. Not good at all if they want stuff from us.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 03:17:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kenosha

Here's the real problem.

Then make a better offer to the Drillers, I'm all for them being downtown.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 03:25:38 pm »

Downtown would have a great atmosphere, awesome view of the skyline, but it is such a hard sell for the burbanites.  The proximity of the proposed stadium to the Creek may help attendance.
USRufnex
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 04:52:55 pm »

quote:

Here's the real problem.

Why?  By offering $1 billion in private funding for a mixed-use project that will include a new ballpark for the Drillers?... compared to what?

A taxpayer funded stadium downtown?  If it involves higher sales taxes, I'd assume many Tulsa taxpayers would be grateful it was private money that built the stadium... even if it were in Jenks.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 05:29:20 pm »

Filched this pic from channel 6. Looks like a few 5 story buildings and possibly one thats 8 or 10 stories. Looks like a decent development for Jenks.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 05:40:40 pm »

Wow, riverfront parking. Still leaving out the powerplant with like 200ft candy-cane stacks looming over the stadium.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 05:44:59 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by swake

quote:

The baseball field is south of 106th so we'll say 108th or 109th. The power plant is from 111th to 121st. So the north end of plant property is less than half a mile from the stadium property. Not to mention the plant in Jenks is far larger than the old plant in Tulsa.

Looking at Google Earth, the main part of the power plant is at 115th stretching onto about 122nd. There's nothing north of there. And there are half million dollar homes within a couple of blocks of the power plant too. It's pretty well shielded.

Tulsa Landing would have an Oil Refinery within 500 feet, directly across I-244 and the Branson Landing people want in there.

The neighborhood has lots of trees and even they aren't that pleased with the plant and substation being there. To the north is cooling towers and very few trees.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 06:08:37 pm »

quote:

Wow, riverfront parking. Still leaving out the powerplant with like 200ft candy-cane stacks looming over the stadium.

Perhaps thats so the stadium can be closer to the water. [Tongue]

I think the power plant will be kewl to look at. Will help add some authenticity and grit to the urban feel they are going for. [8D]

inteller
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 06:25:03 pm »

quote:

Here's the real problem.

ooooOOOH....I'm sure they are soooo scared!  they don't give a flying **** if tulsa is pissed off.  they can simply take what they want until Tulsa city council gets some BALLS and Tulsa gets its OWN chamber of commerce, not this regionalist Metro Chamber bull****.
USRufnex
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 06:33:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Filched this pic from channel 6. Looks like a few 5 story buildings and possibly one thats 8 or 10 stories. Looks like a decent development for Jenks.  

Is that styrofoam is see?  [}:)]
I assume the view from the ballpark will be of the river and the CityPlex Towers and NOT the refinery...

CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 07:06:27 pm »

Assuming passage of the river tax, what stops Jenks from luring the Drillers away?  

Seems this project is moving forward and the river tax contains nothing to lure the Drillers downtown.

If you want baseball downtown, you're competing with river development, whether in Jenks or at 21st on the west bank.  

I'd like more details from Norton . . .

waterboy
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 08:40:19 pm »

Hey, Jenks. Looks like a great plan. You're a daisy if you do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org