A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:46:52 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $B-B-BILLION Jenks River Development Lure Driller  (Read 50689 times)
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 09:57:29 pm »

What would traffic flow be like?  They don't have a straight through street down to there (Lewis makes some sort of odd path around the area).  Will the 96th St Bridge be enough once that development, and the critical mass needed in new Jenks residential, are completed?  Im sure they are counting on numerous new subdivisions popping up in the Jenks/Glenpool/Bixby area.

And the momentum for that stupid Yale toll bridge will escalate further.  (I only see a bridge there as stupid if it is toll, and without proper infrastructure on the streets that lead to the bridge)

bassfisher74133
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 10:24:28 pm »

love the look of this plan but how the crap are the water taxi’s supposed to float threw the dams… LOL you have to make the stadium accessible from the river, if you don’t this plan will officially suck.

Think about it Jenks if you know your having traffic troubles then you make this park accessible by water taxi that way you would be able to park anywhere along the river.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 10:47:55 pm »

Trolley system in the works.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
USRufnex
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 11:15:55 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC

There is something to be said for the Bricktown folk .  Ideally, if you can drag a whole bunch of commercial in just because there the agreement on the stadium, it ends up become self-fulfilling prophecy here.  Commercial jumps on board because of the stadium agreement, Drillers jump ship because there's commercial lined up.  

Obviously there's little reason for the Drillers to move tomorrow, but perhaps the same could have been said for the 86ers down in OKC pre-MAPS.  The clock may truly be ticking here.  Can't completely discount it, IMO.

Well, Bricktown was already around long before the new ballpark was built... the stadium just added to the disneyfication of Bricktown... and Jenks has a successful Riverwalk already in place...

Actually there was a lot of pressure for the triple-A 86ers to move pre-MAPS...

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/minor-league-baseball-team2.htm
quote:
The Professional Baseball Agreement that binds the majors and minors was set to expire at the end of 1990. Under that agreement, the majors provided significant support for the minors. The majors proposed a reduction in those subsidies, claiming that the minors were healthy enough to pay more of their operational expenses. On the other hand, minor league clubs resented what they perceived as attempts to take financial advantage.

After the dust settled, most minors gave in, fearing they couldn't survive without players provided by the majors. Under the new agreement, the majors would still pay most of the operational expenses, but minors were now required to pay a share of their ticket revenues to the majors, forego their share of big-league TV revenues and meet newly established minimum standards at their parks.

The "minimum standards" for ballparks hit the triple-A clubs the hardest... and cities like OKC and Indy obliged rather than risk losing their teams.

The Drillers seem to host many games where general admission tickets are free, and those same days give other ticket holders a chance to "upgrade" their seats... a local car dealership even sponsored the Texas League playoffs last year, offering free tickets...

waterboy
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2007, 06:25:17 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Dreamer. Been in the works for at least 6years. Your dislike of boats and water keeps you from thinking big.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2007, 06:47:01 am »

jenks should just get an mls team and leave the drillers alone...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2007, 07:42:37 am »

It's interesting how this group of numpty's are getting instant credibillity with this project while The Channels developers were laughed at....This whole deal is just a laughable as that was.....

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2007, 07:55:16 am »

Interesting point Bread.  Who are these people that have $1bil to invest?  Our news media is like a 7 year old - oooh a production studio, oooh East End, oooh naked indian, oooh East End (repeat), oooh Branson landing, ooooh new baseball stadium.  No follow up, no real in depth research - just whatever the PR department of XYZ tells them to report and they move on.

Also, the little mock up the development fails to accurately show the mud in the river.  If they have $1bil to build this development, can we score  $20mil for a low water dam near there please?

I guess I'm disappointed that such grand plans are actually taking place in Jenks, and not somewhere actually urban.  Why try to create an urban environment in the most suburban of suburbs when you could build in an actual urban environment?  I guess I'd be grudgingly glad if it came through, better Jenks than not at all.

So long as it doesnt derail Tulsa's plans. [Wink]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Wilbur
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2007, 07:55:58 am »

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

quote:
Originally posted by Kenosha

Here's the real problem.

Jenks has officially pissed off Tulsa.

Not good. Not good at all if they want stuff from us.

Why?  By offering $1 billion in private funding for a mixed-use project that will include a new ballpark for the Drillers?... compared to what?

A taxpayer funded stadium downtown?  If it involves higher sales taxes, I'd assume many Tulsa taxpayers would be grateful it was private money that built the stadium... even if it were in Jenks.

Amen, Brother!  Amen!

Jenks gets it.  Tulsa does not.  The road to prosperity does not go through city hall and is not funded with taxes.  Until our Tulsa leaders, on both sides of the political isle, understand you can not tax this city to prosperity, we will continue to languish.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2007, 08:14:18 am »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

quote:

Dreamer. Been in the works for at least 6years. Your dislike of boats and water keeps you from thinking big.

6 years or not, ya got to have enough of the developments done and critical mass of people going to them to make it work before you put them to use. Once the Riverwalk is done ( that developer said he would try to get a trolley once both parts of his development were done) and once this River District gets going there will be enough people and need to use it.
The comment I made was in relation to the number of people apparently expected to have problems getting to the new ballpark. That would sound like the perfect catalyst, if there ever was any, to get a trolley stysem going, especially if they have been saying they want one eventually. No need to put it into place until there is a real need for it.

Creating a more urban type environment where there isnt a lot of parking is actually a good thing to spur mass transit options like a trolley and water taxi. I am not against a water taxi, just throwing out a possible solution. From what I can tell the dam is going to be just upstream from the proposed stadium. People can still use the water taxi to get to the River district and other areas along the river but they can also use the trolleys as well.  

I use the water taxies at Disney World all the time and really like them, just so you know. [Tongue] And I like using the monorail and the Mickey Buses too. [Cheesy]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2007, 08:23:03 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Breadburner

It's interesting how this group of numpty's are getting instant credibillity with this project while The Channels developers were laughed at....This whole deal is just a laughable as that was.....

If the channels people were footing the bill I wouldn't have laughed at them. One laughable part was them asking the taxpayers to foot the bill. The River District is a private development. Another thing about the Channels was the engineering and environmental problems, plus, cost versus benefit. This River District isnt trying to dam the river and put an island in the middle of it. They are building buildings, not land. Completely different animals.

waterboy
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2007, 08:58:03 am »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

quote:

6 years or not, ya got to have enough of the developments done and critical mass of people going to them to make it work before you put them to use. Once the Riverwalk is done ( that developer said he would try to get a trolley once both parts of his development were done) and once this River District gets going there will be enough people and need to use it.
The comment I made was in relation to the number of people apparently expected to have problems getting to the new ballpark. That would sound like the perfect catalyst, if there ever was any, to get a trolley stysem going, especially if they have been saying they want one eventually. No need to put it into place until there is a real need for it.

Creating a more urban type environment where there isnt a lot of parking is actually a good thing to spur mass transit options like a trolley and water taxi. I am not against a water taxi, just throwing out a possible solution. From what I can tell the dam is going to be just upstream from the proposed stadium. People can still use the water taxi to get to the River district and other areas along the river but they can also use the trolleys as well.  

I use the water taxies at Disney World all the time and really like them, just so you know. [Tongue] And I like using the monorail and the Mickey Buses too. [Cheesy]

There are parking problems at the current Driller stadium. Only on special occassions do they relent and offer shuttles. Someone has to pay, the Drillers won't, the county won't. Apparently the consumer won't either. One trolley operator tried to connect downtown development, Cherry Street and Brookside with a system. Plenty of density there. Couldn't make it work. The same guy offered trolley service to Jenks Antique center to link with the Aquarium and Riverwalk. Denied. Bill White has answers as to why. It isn't incompetence or lack of density.

See a pattern here?
Wrinkle
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2007, 10:06:10 am »

Anything that helps Jenks, helps the whole region.

Isn't that the mantra?

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2007, 10:52:49 am »

Wrinkle, that's not necessarily true.  While, of course, it is usually the case and I am not discussing the current project...

But when suburbs suck all the retail out of a central city you end up with a broke shell.  Soon the companies move to the suburbs.  Now we have a Detroit in the middle with nice suburbs all around it.  Nearly impossible to fix the situation...  many people are able to live in a happy little ring around poverty and crime.  Eventually dragging the entire community down.

Generally speaking, a metro area is only as nice as the central city allows it to be.  No one goes to Washington, DC because Arlington is really nice.  How many companies have HQ in Manhattan because they really like Yonkers?

Not trashing the 'burbs here, just saying the giant sucking sound of money flowing from Tulsa is not always best for the area.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2007, 11:01:31 am »

I think this Jenks project is good for the city of Tulsa, even moreso if the Drillers are not part of it. It’s not just a shopping center, it is a destination area that should improve the quality of life in Tulsa metro and should make the Tulsa metro a better destination for visitors. Tulsa Hills, if it were located in Jenks, would hurt Tulsa, just like the new Wal-Mart Supercenter in Glenpool (but right across the street from Jenks) will hurt Jenks.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org