A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:26:38 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best of - Tulsa Restaurants That Are Gone  (Read 174074 times)
AMP
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2007, 03:31:03 pm »

George's Grill  

Home of the Cuban Sandwich

One building east from the corner of Pine and Yale.  His wife made the best home style breakfast.   George told some great stories.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2007, 04:51:09 pm »

Tony Roma's...

AMP
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2007, 07:14:26 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Breadburner

Tony Roma's...

Another restaurant that has numerous locations, more than 230 restaurants in 27 countries, but none left in Tulsa or Oklahoma.  

Wonder why that is?

http://www.tonyromas.com/files/locations.asp
waterboy
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2007, 07:55:52 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut

I don't think Crystals Pizza was a Bordens. I don't remember one being at 21st & Sheridan. My sister worked at the one at Sheridan Village that is now a bingo parlor.

I remeber the place at 15th & Yale. It was next to a wrought iron fab shop. My brother worked just around the corner from there and would go eat there. It was really small, but I don't remember the name. I'll ask him next time I talk to him. I read a write-up in the paper about a long time ago. It had been there quite a while.

Does anyone remember Harmons restaurant on Admiral right by the bank, around Lakewood? I hated to see that one go.

Anyone remember the sandwich place on Memorial around I belive at 18th street. Unusual shaped building that sits on the east side of Memorial, up on a hill. Think they had a Roast Beef Sandwich.  

I remember that place, it used to be called Frank'n steins. I worked there when it was the Waffle Inn. I worked there in 10th grade. The owner didn't like french fries so if you ordered a burger you go mashed potatoes. I was a dishwasher there and one night I was checking out the different glasses we used and found out that the large and small glasses held the same amount. What a rip-off.

I have a couple of the Frank'N Stein glass mugs with Frankenstein holding a hot dog sub-captioned, "Terribly Tasty". I think one of my Aunts had a business interest in the restaurant. If I remember right they shut down because of the threat of a law suit over using the Frankenstein likeness without permission.

Anyone remember El Charrito at 18th & Boston? Good Mexican in a hacienda styled stucco building. Not as old as it looked. I remember telling the manager one night how much I enjoyed the food and hoped they didn't close soon. He looked terrified. "You think we're closing?" Less than a month later the place closed as Mapco had bought it for office space, then Spirit Bank flattened it for parking. That's the Tulsa spirit.
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2007, 08:11:46 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

The fat era.

Aox, when was Villa Venice around?  I've lived here 41 years and never heard of it.

I remember Joe Vigg's at 65th & Lewis.  What a blowhard- his food sucked.

Villa Venice was here from the mid 50's until 1979.
USRufnex
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2007, 09:43:09 pm »

I don't remember it being fancy... but back in the day, I was a regular at The Hungry Pellican over by TU...

Food was good... Indian Fry Bread was great.

Was bummed when it closed and was replaced by a let's-pretend-we've-been-here-since-the-50s-diner.... aka, the Metro Diner.
southof30a
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2007, 08:19:51 am »

Elmo's Grill
AMP
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2007, 09:37:47 am »

Where were the Villa Venice and Elmo's Grill located ?  

Street addresses, or main cross streets.

What was the name of that place that had the wonderfull chicken fried steaks made on the flat grill.  Man used oil and cooked them like Waffle House cooks Hash Browns.  It was near 52nd and Peoria on the east side.  Was that  Elmo's Grill.
AMP
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2007, 09:45:20 am »

The A Frame building where Griff's Burgers was located is still standing.  It is between two other automotive repair businesses on 21st near the top of the hill heading west from Sheridan, on the north side facing south.  

You can still see the counter, serving window through the font glass window, and the glass entry doors.  

Griff's was located near the Hilltop Slot Car Track, which was west of his location in the shopping center on the same side of 21st Street.

I still remember his 19 cent hamburgers.
AMP
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2007, 10:41:12 am »

Borden's Cafeteria at the Brook Shooping Center near 51st and Peoria.  This is the location that later became Po Folks.

Notice the streets have no bumps, holes or patches.  Camelot Inn was in it's glory days perhaps.

WOW! I stumbled on a photo of Griff's Hamburgers

GRIFFS HAMBURGERS
AMP
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2007, 10:45:29 am »

I believe this is the Borden's Cafeteria location near 21st and Sheridan where Crystal's Pizza occupied after Borden's closed.

AMP
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2007, 11:00:15 am »

CROSS ROADS DRIVE-IN

Cross Roads Drive-In Restaurant at 31st and Sheridan on May 5, 1959

AMP
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2007, 11:05:48 am »

PURE MILK 41ST & HUDSON TULSA OKLAHOMA

CONES WERE A NICKLE A PIECE CIRCA 1962
AMP
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2007, 11:13:21 am »

Family Style Restaurants

Served the food family style, plate of chicken, mashed potatoes, real homemade gravy.  

Scrumptious comfort food.

SLEEPY HOLLOW on South Lewis

SUTPHEN'S One at 41st and Hudson, later

Sutphen's Bar B Que our east in the industrial park off of Garnett & Pine.
waterboy
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2007, 11:31:38 am »

Sussy's Pizza. In high school, every Thursday night I would go visit my friend who worked at the Admiral/Pittsburgh location and get a large Shrimp & Cheese pizza and eat the whole thing.

Kip's Big Boy was pretty larrapin' too. 11th & Quaker.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org