Best of - Tulsa Restaurants That Are Gone

<< < (13/52) > >>

AMP:
Although a private club, the Candlewood Club was one of the best for large group dinners.  Plus the times we spent out at the pool when I was in Jr. High were some very fun times.

That place and earlier Jack and Eleanor Sigg's Cabana Club behind where the Green Onion is now.  The front lawn was wooded and members had picnics there by the large and I mean high Swings.  Those were some awesome swings.

Candlewood club could serve up 300 steaks at the same time to everyone and they were juicy and perfectly cooked.  They seared them first, then cooked / held them in large ovens prior to serving.

Another Club was the Elks Lodge that was in the Dome Building on Harvard.  They too had a great kitchen for serving large groups.  Elks club is still there, but not in that building that looked like the Rose Bowl building.  

Harvard club on Harvard near the BA Expressway was another great pool and dinner club.  They made some awesome cheeseburgers and fries we enjoyed at pool side.  

Cabana Club was one of my favorites as it had an underground room with a window where you could see inside the pool, an elevated 18 foot high Sun Bathing level that made shade underneath.  Concrete Shuffleboard with large pucks and wooden cues.  Croquet played on the close cut lawns.  They served Ice Cream Sundaes in a cup with a wooden spoon that for some reason were some of the best I ever tasted.  

Jack and Eleanor were a very fun couple, and laughter was constant at their club.  They also held some wild parties at their home behind the clubhouse.  

All those places are lost Tulsa treasures.

Wingnut:
I don't think Crystals Pizza was a Bordens. I don't remember one being at 21st & Sheridan. My sister worked at the one at Sheridan Village that is now a bingo parlor.

I remeber the place at 15th & Yale. It was next to a wrought iron fab shop. My brother worked just around the corner from there and would go eat there. It was really small, but I don't remember the name. I'll ask him next time I talk to him. I read a write-up in the paper about a long time ago. It had been there quite a while.

Does anyone remember Harmons restaurant on Admiral right by the bank, around Lakewood? I hated to see that one go.

quote: Anyone remember the sandwich place on Memorial around I belive at 18th street. Unusual shaped building that sits on the east side of Memorial, up on a hill. Think they had a Roast Beef Sandwich.  

I remember that place, it used to be called Frank'n steins. I worked there when it was the Waffle Inn. I worked there in 10th grade. The owner didn't like french fries so if you ordered a burger you go mashed potatoes. I was a dishwasher there and one night I was checking out the different glasses we used and found out that the large and small glasses held the same amount. What a rip-off.

quote: What was the name of the restaurant in that unusual building just south of 15th on the east side of Sheridan? It is a vaccum cleaner place now I believe. Sits out in front of the Ron's Hamburger location near there, only to the North of it.

If it's the place I'm thinking about, it's now Santa Fe mexican restaurant. It used to be a Kens Pizza before they built the building on the corner of 15th & Sheridan that is now a Mazzios.

Wingnut:
Moving down Sheridan......
There used to be a Sirloin Stockade near the north end of the white building where the Olde Time Cinema used to be. I think it's an alternator shop now. Boots Drive In used to be where where Braums now is. The strip club across the street used to be a Rex (or Rax) Chicken. The Western Diner used to be Shotgun Sams Pizza, a popular place to go after the races on Saturday night. The Burger King is sitting where a Sambo's used to be. They did everyone a favor shutting that place down. The service and food were terrible. Office Depot used to be a Safeway.
Of course, Casa Bonita is where Shoppers Fair was. I remember when Casa Bonita opened. The all-you-can-eat dinner was $1.89. Crystals opened down the mall on the south end next to where Harbour Freight is.

Breadburner:
The Sleepy Hollow.....

cks511:
Just remembered The Shadow Mountain Steakhouse, 61st and Sheridan. And The Coutry Kettle in a little strip mall like place just south of 36th and Harvard.  Geesh where did that memory come from?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page