A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:48:04 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Several Treated For Heat Illness at Southern Hills  (Read 6502 times)
Lister
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 10:02:54 am »

I am going to retain Brunoflipper as my personal hydration consultant. [Cheesy]
AMP
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 10:11:26 am »

The Christian Motorcyclists Association, Fastlane Chapter, provided free ice cold bottled water for all spectators and participants last weekend at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit.  www.cmausa.org

I made announcements all weekend encouraging those in attendance to be sure to drink water to avoid heat related health problems.  We had four heat related health issues the round previous which was held in Texas.

I believe there are statutes in some states that require free water fountains be provided along with free bathrooms for venues that have large numbers of people in attendance.

At venues that sell bottled water you can refill your water in the restroom sinks if they have running city water.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 10:15:52 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

At venues that sell bottled water you can refill your water in the restroom sinks if they have running city water.

Favorite trick of us cheapskates.  Assuming you can fit the bottle under the tap, that's the way to go.  I don't recommend re-filling from the stool if the bottle doesn't fit under the sink tap. [Tongue]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Aa5drvr
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 11:05:27 am »

>>I don't recommend re-filling from the stool >>if the bottle doesn't fit under the sink tap.

Wierd.  My dog doesnt have a problem with it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 11:46:29 am »

My dog can't reach the stool.  The cat is another issue.  Either perches on the seat or hangs her head over it like a drunk.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 12:20:38 pm »

Do yourselves a favor and do not drink soda pop in the heat....or even if you are really good to your bad self.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 01:18:31 pm »

I much prefer beer to soda in the heat.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 01:33:23 pm »

damnit, I was going to post that after reading over Brunno's science posts.  Bah!

The human body can sweat up to 2 quarts per hour, but can only absorb 1.5 quarts.  So if you start trying to rehydrate after already sweating buckets, the battle is lost.  (holy cow, I used OSHA training)

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 07:58:28 am »

Guy at work went there yesterday. He told me that if you take your own bottle of water - it must be Aquafina or nothing. People were emptying out their bottled water, at the insistence of the "bouncers" at the gate. They could also peel off the label, if they chose to keep their own water.

I guess its a sponsor thing. This seems awfully unfair to me. This is a health issue, not a commercial thing.

Do I smell a lawsuit? You get a heat-related illness because your water was confiscated. You can't afford $5 Aquafina all day.

Those who have been: Is the Aquafina-only law true? (My friend has a BS in BS)

How safe is that?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 08:35:21 am »

I carried in a couple of bottles of Ozarka water (refilled with filtered water and almost frozen) and the security guard asked me to remove the labels. It was no big deal to me.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TulsaSooner
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 09:01:50 am »

We went last night and the gate guys made my friend finish his water, even with the removed label.  There appears to be some confusion because even they said the rules keep changing....no outside bottle, then outside bottles but no labels, now back to no outside bottles.

I think they probably need to clarify that pretty quick.  Having said that, the water is $2 - $2.75 inside the gates, not $5 and there are water fountains on the course and I even saw a couple of those spray fans.
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 09:32:28 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaSooner

We went last night and the gate guys made my friend finish his water, even with the removed label.  There appears to be some confusion because even they said the rules keep changing....no outside bottle, then outside bottles but no labels, now back to no outside bottles.

I think they probably need to clarify that pretty quick.  Having said that, the water is $2 - $2.75 inside the gates, not $5 and there are water fountains on the course and I even saw a couple of those spray fans.

If there are water fountains available on the course - that is a good thing.

I'm just trying to start some crap...
AMP
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 02:07:50 pm »

Past three years during a State Fair where I produce an annual event, Ozarka Water has sponsored us. They helped us out with a simple request of providing bottled water for our staff. I obtained the sponsorship on their web site and everything was easy and they provided what we asked for with no problems from them or us.

Only major problem was the Fairgrounds has an exclusive contract with Coca Cola, who’s warehouse is located directly across from the Fairgrounds. So, I contacted Coke to see if they would be interested in providing the same level of sponsorship and quantity of bottled water for our staff members during our fair event. The answer was no.  I have since contacted them every year asking for the same request and have received the same answer, no.

So, back to Ozarka. Corporate set up the sponsorship and handed it off to the local distributor. Everyone in the chain of command was very nice and professional and concerned with our being serviced in a timely fashion.

Upon arriving at the Fairgrouds, the Ozarka water delivery driver was informed he was not allowed on the premises to deliver his brand of product. So, a cell phone call to me and we met discreetly across the street in none other than Coca Colas parking lot to exchange the cases of bottled water, which we smuggled into the fairgrounds for use by our staff.

Not sure if they removed the labels from the water as it was used mainly in the infield of the track and not close to the public eye.

Few years back we were sponsored by Mt Dew, and had the Mt Dew logo on most our apparel, trophies, banners, tickets, pit passes etc. We contracted at a Fairground that had a Coke Exclusive contract and were asked not to display or announce anything regarding Mt Dew.

Bottom line, I can understand and respect an exclusive contract for Sale of a product at a venue or event, but trying to control what the participants and show producers bring in for their own personal use is a gray area.

Exclusive beverage and food vendor contracts also creates other problems that may rule out certain sponsored events creating less of a Muilti Purpose Event Center that the tax payers are expecting to host a varied number of types of events. More on that in another blog.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2007, 02:15:56 pm »

I'm going to wear a Kum & Go shirt to the Chili Bowl next year.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org