A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:46:03 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 190,000 Dead Fish  (Read 3616 times)
aoxamaxoa
« on: August 04, 2007, 07:04:34 am »

Folks! What the heck is happening? Air and water are our most important assets. What would cause this? Fish and birds are our radar. Time to wake up!http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070804_1_A15_spanc51268
Massive fish kill at Grand Lake is being investigated

"The kill resulted from the GRDA shutting off one of its turbines, Boxrucker said. "

One wonders if what we read and hear anymore from governmental people is true....

Wilbur
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 05:23:15 pm »

I want to know who counted all those fish!

And what are the odds the total would be exactly 190,000.  That's too weird.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 05:32:55 pm »

The exact cause of the fish kill is not known at this time.

It could be man-made pollution, but it might just be high water. High water changes underwater vegetation and can lead to low oxygen levels.

I am interested to know the reason.

Power is nothing till you use it.
dsjeffries
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 06:52:22 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

The exact cause of the fish kill is not known at this time.

It could be man-made pollution, but it might just be high water. High water changes underwater vegetation and can lead to low oxygen levels.

I am interested to know the reason.

I read that it actually could be related to the levels of water released from the dam (Pensacola?) that reduce the amount of oxygen in the water, and that the majority of the fish died downstream from the lake, not in it.  They also said the heat could reduce oxygen levels.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 07:28:35 pm »

Hypoxia

My neighbor lost over 80 Koi due to all the rain we had earlier this summer. Oxygen levels in his various ponds got out of balance due to all the rainfall and while he was out of town over one weekend his Koi all died. I discovered them when I walked outside and could smell them.....and I was over 300 feet away.

He also lost a bunch last summer during the extreme heat. It caused the oxygen levels to go out of balance overnight and killed several fan tail goldfish in one of his smaller ponds.
waterboy
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 08:09:08 pm »

Most of the dead fish were shad?? Those are the little fish the sand bass feed on. That would explain the death of the sand bass too. When they let water out of the dams I'm told the water that is released is from the bottom of the pool where it is cold, dense and has less oxygen. That would explain why the shad downstream were dying. They got a burst of low oxy water.

Is there any thought that the contaminated water feeding in from the flooded Coffeyville refinery could be playing a role?
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 11:20:20 pm »

^It's been a long, long time since my highschool biology class, but I believe cold water contains more, not less, oxygen.  In this case, the damn release could explain the fish kills upsteam, near sailboat bridge.  I recently returned from grand lake.  It is still incredibly high, and there is some weird green plant that is growing over much of the lake.  In all my years of going to the lake, I have never seen it like this before.  Did any of the oil from Coffeyville end up in Grand?

waterboy
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 08:57:05 am »

quote:
Originally posted by pmcalk

^It's been a long, long time since my highschool biology class, but I believe cold water contains more, not less, oxygen.  In this case, the damn release could explain the fish kills upsteam, near sailboat bridge.  I recently returned from grand lake.  It is still incredibly high, and there is some weird green plant that is growing over much of the lake.  In all my years of going to the lake, I have never seen it like this before.  Did any of the oil from Coffeyville end up in Grand?

You could be right. But when water starts to freeze into ice cubes, doesn't it lose its oxygen creating air bubbles? Water too warm or too cold loses oxy I think. At any rate the cold dense water coming out of the lower part of the pool has bacteria that are then activated with the aeration of the turbines.

It seems to me Grand is in long term distress. I have seen the water turn from a lovely aqua in the 60's to a deep emerald just a few years ago. You gotta' think the poultry runoff has had an effect. Now throw in a little petro-chemical and...dinner's ready.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org