A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:13:32 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "No river tax "signs  (Read 14941 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: August 01, 2007, 05:18:14 pm »

Someone tell that bozo to stop putting out illegal signs.

It has nothing to do with my views on the proposal...I would say the same thing to someone putting out yes signs.

This guy is breaking the law and making my city ugly. He has no right.

I am not surprised that his last name is Hicks. He is one.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 05:38:31 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

Someone tell that bozo to stop putting out illegal signs.

It has nothing to do with my views on the proposal...I would say the same thing to someone putting out yes signs.

This guy is breaking the law and making my city ugly. He has no right.

I am not surprised that his last name is Hicks. He is one.

Forget the First Amendment?  

Remember the concept of Free Speech?

Not surprised.  You've been drinking the Kool-Aid for a long-time in the Banana Republic of Tulsa.

Of course, the unconstitutional city ordinance against sign placement in the city's so-called right of way, promoted by former Mayor Silly Susan Savage after two stinging defeats by Grassroots Vote NO organizations to an ARENA TAX, we know will have ABSOLUTELY no effect on a certain bank having Vote Yes for Kaiser River Tax signs implanted in EVERY Employee's Residential Yard in the environs of Tulsa County.

Unless the employee takes their own career Suicide Pill and 'Opts-Out.

Oh, and speaking of Ugly, why really BOTHER with those small, pesky little Political Ad signs or Commercial signs, when you have all those GREAT BIG POWER LINE POLES all over town to BEAUTIFY??

Why do you think it is PUBLIC POLICY that the Electric Futility Company gets to leave it huge eyesore electric poles ABOVE ground when the utilities are Re-located for street widening?

Hmmmmh???

Try gazing down beautiful, newly widened 71st - 81st on Yale Avenue.  There's a veritable Redwood Forest of massive electrical lines & poles.  Big 'uns.  

And, they are not DESIGNER poles.  

All of which could have been buried.

Such a public policy, besides adding BEAUTIFICATION, would also HARDEN the electrical transmission infrastructure to make power outages due to wind and ice storms, much less frequent.

Yes, PSO/AEP has been continued this folly for GENERATIONS.  

Wonder why we let them get by with it??

Tulsa as America's most Beautiful City?  

Not in our lifetime.

Tulsa as a Banana Republic?

Brought to you for the past 50 years by the Ruling Power Oligarchy, who just like things the way they are.........

[Tongue]

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 06:22:45 pm »

Friendy Bear...

It is not a free speech issue. He has the right to verbally say anything he wants or follow the rules for signage. He is putting signs in the public right-of-way on riverside drive.

He is breaking the law.

This has nothing to do with your claims about vision 2025 signs three years ago.

Steve
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 08:40:17 pm »

Where do we get these "no river tax" signs?  I would be glad to display multiple "no tax" signs in my front yard, set back from the curb at least 12 feet, of course.
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 06:42:35 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Where do we get these "no river tax" signs?  I would be glad to display multiple "no tax" signs in my front yard, set back from the curb at least 12 feet, of course.

You might check the Tulsa phone directory under:

Dan Hicks
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 07:32:05 am »

I want to get some "Vote NO on whatever" signs.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 07:34:49 am »

The public right of way is not set up nor intended to be a "public forum."  As such, it receives minimal protection for freedom of speech.  Add to that the safety argument, "signs are distracting on the right of way and may detract from road signs" and the ban is pretty much golden.

The first amendment does not give you the right to place whatever sign you wish, including political signs, on any public property you deem fit.  If the city allowed some signs, but not your view - you would have an argument.  As it stands, you do not.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 07:51:21 am »

I consider Hicks a turd sandwich.  Free speech or slander?

He should be put in an orange vest and made to clean up the city parks for being a local embarrassment about the zoo thing, that butt munch.  Slander?

Stop the signs you hole.  Slander?

(Edit)  Is it lible in print?  Is he famous enough?  Either way he's a whale eye.
rwarn17588
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 11:37:25 am »

Hicks started to lose me on the zoo-evolution spat, then lost me completely on his convoluted logic that annexing the fairgrounds was a tax increase.

It's not his political stances that offend me. It's his being an idiot that offends me.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 04:10:24 pm »

Yes; stop the Illegal signs that are being used by small groups that have no buddy boy jobs to sell for contributions to an opposing view.   It truly is an infringement on those rights that are reserved by the city’s governing body, who’s duty is to stand guard over their own turf.

A year in jail with a $500 dollar fine should be assessed for this invasion on the reserved rights of city hall for any one caught with a sign that would show intent to place it on the right-a-ways.

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
DM
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 05:16:19 pm »

But the city is working so hard to mow the lawns for those signs. Oh, wait or was that for the PGA.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 10:01:01 pm »

Yea. Just when you actually start wishing the grass were taller. [Tongue]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Sangria
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 12:14:48 pm »

Signs on the right of way are illegal. Yet ALL the people running for office put signs there - including Kathy Taylor.

SO, they need to either be illegal all the time and for everyone one - or left alone.

Next, anexation of the Fairgrounds. No, it would not raise property taxes - only increase the sales tax on that property.

Under the county you only have to pay county tax at the fairgrounds. Once the City of tulsa takes it over you then have to pay all the sales tax.

This makes it less desirable for those who have more choices of where to hold their events. Which means less money brought in and eventually either a property or sales tax to pay for up keep on the fairgrounds.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 01:04:21 pm »

The signs in the right-of-way are illegal all year round.

There are special rules for signs not in the right-of-way during election cycles. They are allowed on private property 45 days before an election. That is the last week of August for this election.

Mayor Taylor was one of only two persons running for office that I ever heard specifically instructing her volunteers to only put signs in legal locations.

This no tax sign guy clearly knows the rules and is purposely breaking the law. I hope that his signs are removed and he be made an example of. The ordinances call for monetary fines of a hundred dollars a day.

Here is the language from Title 27 chapter 13...

CHAPTER 13
STREET ADVERTISING
Section 1300. Advertising Methods Prohibited.
Section 1301. Penalty.

SECTION 1300. ADVERTISING METHODS PROHIBITED
It shall be an offense for any person to employ or allow the employment of any
advertising matter, pictures, handbills or anything of similar nature for any purpose, by
any of the following methods:
A. By throwing, dropping or placing them on streets, sidewalks or alleys;
B. By nailing, tacking, pasting or otherwise attaching them, without the owner's
consent, to any post or pole, private or public building, improvement on any premises,
street, sidewalk, or billboard;
C. By placing, throwing or pasting them, without the owner's consent, on the
windshield or other part of any motor vehicle; or on walls, windows or other parts of any
private property; or
D. By suspending them on, over or across any street, avenue or alley.

SECTION 1301. PENALTY
Unless otherwise provided for in this chapter, any person violating any of the
provisions of this chapter shall be guilty of an offense and, upon conviction, shall be
punished by a fine of not more than ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100.00), excluding
costs, fees and assessments. Each day such violation is committed or permitted to
continue shall constitute a separate offense.

Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 01:51:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

The signs in the right-of-way are illegal all year round.

There are special rules for signs not in the right-of-way during election cycles. They are allowed on private property 45 days before an election. That is the last week of August for this election.

Mayor Taylor was one of only two persons running for office that I ever heard specifically instructing her volunteers to only put signs in legal locations.

This no tax sign guy clearly knows the rules and is purposely breaking the law. I hope that his signs are removed and he be made an example of. The ordinances call for monetary fines of a hundred dollars a day.

Here is the language from Title 27 chapter 13...

CHAPTER 13
STREET ADVERTISING
Section 1300. Advertising Methods Prohibited.
Section 1301. Penalty.

SECTION 1300. ADVERTISING METHODS PROHIBITED
It shall be an offense for any person to employ or allow the employment of any
advertising matter, pictures, handbills or anything of similar nature for any purpose, by
any of the following methods:
A. By throwing, dropping or placing them on streets, sidewalks or alleys;
B. By nailing, tacking, pasting or otherwise attaching them, without the owner's
consent, to any post or pole, private or public building, improvement on any premises,
street, sidewalk, or billboard;
C. By placing, throwing or pasting them, without the owner's consent, on the
windshield or other part of any motor vehicle; or on walls, windows or other parts of any
private property; or
D. By suspending them on, over or across any street, avenue or alley.

SECTION 1301. PENALTY
Unless otherwise provided for in this chapter, any person violating any of the
provisions of this chapter shall be guilty of an offense and, upon conviction, shall be
punished by a fine of not more than ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100.00), excluding
costs, fees and assessments. Each day such violation is committed or permitted to
continue shall constitute a separate offense.

For all you Legal Eagles, here's a sincere LEGAL question:

Is a political message an ADVERTISEMENT??

Is a First Amendment FREE SPEECH Opinion or Expression of belief written on a small sign, like NO RIVER TAX, or Vote YES Kaiser River TAx, an advertisement?

No, it is an EXPRESSION of BELIEF, or OPINION.

Protected by the First Amendment.

Oh, and commercially-speaking, do you think that REALTOR and Homebuilder Signs, or Roofing and Painting Company signs stuck in the residential yards in the alleged UNIFORM 12' foot from the curb = City RIGHT-of-WAY will also be subject to a Fine??

Might make GTAR break a nail.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org