A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:21:49 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You have the ability to go back in time...  (Read 6492 times)
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« on: July 26, 2007, 09:02:14 am »

to save one and only one building in Tulsa from destruction.

Which one would you choose?

Me? The Ritz Theater.

Although the Brown-Dunkin Building tied for a close second with the Cimmaron Ballroom.

breitee
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 01:48:42 pm »

The Akdar Shrine Temple, aka The Cimmaron Ballroom.
Wingnut
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 11:20:49 am »

Either the Will Rogers movie theater or the Will Rogers Motor Court that used to be down at 11th & Joplin.
Sorry, I did 2, but either one would be fine with me. They were both near where I grew up and I used to ride my bike down aroumnd them all the time. What great places. The motor court is just vacant land now. Just more lost Tulsa.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 12:16:57 pm »

The Coliseum......

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 12:43:34 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Breadburner

The Coliseum......

What, were you going to be there an hour or two before the fire with a fire company?  Actually that was my thought as well, but I figured he meant wrecking ball. [Wink]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 01:25:35 pm »

Exactly...He did say save....heh.....

aoxamaxoa
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 01:44:51 pm »

Orpheum Theatre....
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 02:51:11 pm »

AOX!!!

Where you been hiding?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
iplaw
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 02:55:11 pm »

In the shed with Timmy H...
Hometown
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 03:55:45 pm »

I remember a particularly beautiful white brick library branch near TU.  Didn’t it have a slender cupola and thin white columns?  I think it was one of Tulsa’s original libraries.

So many buildings for this list that are all very deserving.  How about a moratorium on demolition north of 51st Street?

Steve
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 04:35:22 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by aoxamaxoa

Orpheum Theatre....

I second that.
pfox
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 12:10:03 pm »

Anything that doesn't qualify as an act of god should count.

I think the coliseum was struck by lightning.

I'd be tempted to save the Carnegie library downtown. Or the Alvin Hotel. Or the Medical Arts Building. Or Pennington's Drive In.

Nope. I know what I'd save...those building that used to occupy what is now Arvest Bank and the parking lot directly south of the bank on Main Street between 5th and 6th

"Our uniqueness is overshadowed by our inability to be unique."
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 02:59:28 pm »

I would save the stand pipe hill thing, from Tulsa circa 1910.... That was really something. It's very sad they distroyed it.[Sad]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
waterboy
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 04:45:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

I remember a particularly beautiful white brick library branch near TU.  Didn’t it have a slender cupola and thin white columns?  I think it was one of Tulsa’s original libraries.

So many buildings for this list that are all very deserving.  How about a moratorium on demolition north of 51st Street?

The Second Street library just east of Lewis right near Tulsa's first suburban shopping center, Whittier Square. Spent many hours in that air conditioned beauty with the squeaky linoleum floors. Designed to blend in the neighborhood, it was a colonial design I think. Red brick and white columns. Good call.

My choice? Hard to pick. Josh Cosden mansion maybe or the Orpheum. Close call with the Paris Art Theatre, Tulsa's first dirty movie house.
Steve
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 10:11:57 am »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

Close call with the Paris Art Theatre, Tulsa's first dirty movie house.

I haven't thought of that one in years!  I also recall the Studio Art Theater, I think it was in the section of buildings at 6th & Main that were demolished by Arvest for the parking lot.

I remember seeing the ads for the Paris Art and Studio Art theaters in the Tulsa Tribune when I was a kid in the '60s.  It all seemed so lurid and forbidden then!  Actually, the movies they showed there probably would barely rate an "R" rating today.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org