A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:39:29 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) Central Park Hall @ Expo Square  (Read 10546 times)
Admin
Administrator
Philanthropist

« on: July 26, 2007, 08:42:42 am »

Construction is underway on a new exhibition hall/trade center created by enclosing the area under the grandstands and expanding west.

Estimated Cost: Part of a group of expo improvements paid for by Vision2025
Location: East side of Expo Square. Located on Yale between 15th & 21st.

If you have project details or images you want posted to the forum, you can email admin (at) tulsanow.org and we will post it.
USRufnex
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 07:58:37 pm »

I'm surprised there's been no replies to the details of this project... why put all that $$$ into a facility at Fair Meadows that has a surface parking lot right smack in the middle of it...

I parked there for a Drillers' game and walked across particle boards that were laid across the racetrack to get to the ballpark...

Conspiracy theory available upon request.  [Wink]
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 08:48:33 am »

I think Expo is one of the city's (county's) greatest and best utilized assets.  I'm happy they are spending money to improve and expand it, and this looks like the type of public building people around here have been wanting to see.  Not just a box, and not a pipe dream.

It is a well designed art-decoish building that will be heavily utilized.

Kudos.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 03:50:01 pm »

This is adding space that will be utilized when the trade centers, etc are torn down.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 06:16:09 pm »

I hope they allow the Tulsa Flea Market to utilize the new building if the exchange center is torn town. I started my business there, paid 20dollars for a booth space, put out a few meager pictures of some of the paintings I had done and worked on a painting while I was there.  I always tell people if they want to start a small business that that is a cheap way to get a start, see how things work, what sells, what doesnt, etc.  I probably could have started half a dozen different businesses. People asked me if I would paint signs, advertising on windows, do portraits, house painting, faux painting, etc. I could have gone several different directions.  You never know who goes to those places. Once talked with a pudgy guy wearing a plaid shirt and blue jeans, he gave me his card and told me to call him because he might be interested in having some work done at his home.  I didnt pay much heed to the guy, misplaced the card, but then later found out that he was Markus Hilti of Hilti Corp. A billionaire  ugh, stupid me. lol

Regardless its a good place for someone of meager means to follow a dream.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
perspicuity85
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 08:20:12 pm »

^
Why would they tear down the exchange center?  Expo used part of their Vision money to repair the exchange ctr.'s roof.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 09:49:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by perspicuity85

^
Why would they tear down the exchange center?  Expo used part of their Vision money to repair the exchange ctr.'s roof.

It's hard to understand a lot of things government does with their property.  They overhauled the heating and cooling at the COT Maint/Engr building at 23rd & Jackson about a year or so back at a pretty significant cost.  That building will be shuttered before long.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 05:52:46 am »

quote:

^

They used vision2025 money for expo building and armory roof replacement, not the exchange center.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 08:17:41 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

^

They used vision2025 money for expo building and armory roof replacement, not the exchange center.

Yea they fixed the expo building. I think the exchange center roof still leaks lol.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 07:52:12 am »

Does anyone know if they've scaled the design back? The actual building looks much cheaper than any of the conceptual or design plans. It looks like they've abandoned a lot of the brick on the outside.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 10:32:38 am »

I don't see any brick in the concept picture. Looks like metal, glass and stucco...
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 02:19:54 pm »

I was thinking there was some kind of exterior tilework to get those patterns.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 11:15:35 am »

The design mock up that is in front of the new building is very different from the actual new building. In the picture the building is all exterior brick which seems to be a pretty close match to the Pavillion. In reality only the entrance and projecting parts of the structure are brick and the rest is cheap looking (already painted) steel.

The glass and tile design at the top of this thread is nowhere to be found on site.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 07:42:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

The design mock up that is in front of the new building is very different from the actual new building. In the picture the building is all exterior brick which seems to be a pretty close match to the Pavillion. In reality only the entrance and projecting parts of the structure are brick and the rest is cheap looking (already painted) steel.

The glass and tile design at the top of this thread is nowhere to be found on site.

I drove by today and it looks like the tile is being installed, plenty of space to put glass.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 08:56:38 am »

Hey Mod, since this building is apparently complete and open for business can we "unsticky" this thread?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org