A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:26:54 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arena District/West End  (Read 3766 times)
SXSW
City Father

« on: October 20, 2008, 09:49:26 am »

I know we have the proposed hotel and retail along Denver by the BOK Center, and the expanded convention center that will bring it up to 3rd (taking away that surface parking lot).  Is there any movement to create a master plan for the entire area around the BOK Center?  Such as what to do eventually with the Federal Building?  Or the BOK drive-thru bank?  Or how to rebuild the civic center complex?

I know I'd like to see Denver be the focus of new development and also along 3rd as it links the arena to the rest of downtown.  What are your thoughts on what could (or should) happen with this area?

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 10:02:52 am »

BOk Autobank, Library, City Hall, and Federal Building will all be gone within 5 years.

Sorry, no official sources, just wait and see.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:15:39 pm »

DTU produced a lack luster master plan for downtown that gave a glimpse to properties that were on a wish list to be purchased. Most of the sites on grizz's list were there plus the YMCA.

Maybe we can add the jail to the list.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:33:09 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

DTU produced a lack luster master plan for downtown that gave a glimpse to properties that were on a wish list to be purchased. Most of the sites on grizz's list were there plus the YMCA.

The Jail? The one in Brady?
bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 12:58:28 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

I think he meant the County Jail / Courthouse

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 01:18:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bacjz00

quote:

quote:

I was wondering since the jail part was removed years ago.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 01:34:49 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bacjz00

quote:

quote:

I was wondering since the jail part was removed years ago.

I'm guessing he meant David L Moss.

And the Federal Building...I thought we were 20 years out for a new one.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 01:40:51 pm »

I believe the building on Boulder is the "Tulsa Federal Building" and there is little federal in the post office other than courtrooms and supporting offices which can be moved pretty easily. All of the mail sorting was already moved out.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 02:29:19 pm »

You can find the Downtown Linkage Report on the TMAPC website.  This report includes a "Downtown Public Investment Master Plan" and a "Downtown Tulsa Master Plan" as well as recommendations of various sorts.

For what it's worth.

The report makes some good observations about what's needed for downtown.  At the same time, it seems fairly timid when it comes to achieving those goals.

Here's an interesting line that popped out at me when I glanced at it today:

Since downtown is mostly zoned CBD (Central Business District) which allows for
almost any type of use, except industrial, with no height, area, or parking requirements,
the City has no leverage or ability to implement a Master Plan, unless it intends to
purchase the entire 900 acres, or rezone all the property within the Inner Dispersal Loop.
Since neither is likely, a different approach is called for.
(Then, they don't say exactly what that approach will be...)

Why didn't they recommend amending the CBD zoning code just a tad?  They could have outlined a short list of amendments to the CBD zoning code, which would allow development, but ensure it was compatible with an urban landscape.  This wouldn't affect other areas of town, just our very unique downtown area.

Just a few I would suggest...
1. No surface parking as a right (downtown is 50% surface parking already.)
2. Require zero (or minimal) setbacks on street fronts to ensure buildings come up to the sidewalk.
3. Require "permeable" street frontages (meaning: no blank walls.  Downtown buildings should have windows and doors facing the street).
4. Require all lighting to be fully shielded, no glare fixtures.

These are just a few things off the top of my head.  How hard would it be to start making small changes to the zoning code for the CBD district?  What would it take?  How do zoning code amendments get off the ground?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org