A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:10:29 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) AH HA / Mathews Warehouse  (Read 93056 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2011, 11:57:57 am »

Any way to provide a pdf of the site plan which can be zoomed in?  I can't really read any of what the site plan shows.

Unfortunately no, I ripped that one from a Powerpoint and don't have the original file.  I'll see if I can find that plan somewhere.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2011, 03:04:55 pm »

I can read it. There's nothing overly exciting
runfromtulsa
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2011, 05:56:55 pm »

Too bad all the additions to the area are going to be so modern and ugly and not blend with the historic buildings....but then again, some people aren't born with good taste.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2011, 06:48:27 pm »

Are you suggesting that everything that is modern is ugly?

From what I recall the Tribune Lofts expansion is very much in keeping with the older style.  And the proposed hotel didn't appear modern if I recall.  

As for the rest, I don't mind at all the contemporary being mixed in as long as it keeps with being pedestrian friendly on those streets that we want to be pedestrian friendly.  We could sorely use some examples of modern architecture in the city to represent, well, that SOMETHING was built during this time period lol.  All up and down the street that the Cains is on we actually have a good swath of historic buildings, and a decent smattering elsewhere in the area.  So to have some new stuff mixed in nearby is perfectly fine with me.

I don't have the feeling that keeping the entire area in the older style would be advantagious in any way.  It isn't defined by the architecture, and its not anything unique per say.  Many cities have the same thing in spades. The area will hopefully continue to be more and more defined by "arts", and as such, being ecclectic works. And again, there is a good chunk of old stock where you can enjoy that vibe if you wish, and then branch out from that to experience other styles.  Its keeping this area pedestrian friendly that is more important to me than maintaining any particular architectural style.    

Oh, and if you want to argue good taste,,, show me your creds and I'll show you mine  Wink
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:51:28 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2011, 09:17:56 am »

Groundbreaking today for the new Visual Arts portion.  I can see they are setting up tents right now.

http://ahct.org/about/vac.cfm

Begs the question.  What will the western part of the old Mathews Warehouse be used for if it's not exhibit space?  Storage?
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2011, 10:54:51 am »

Groundbreaking today for the new Visual Arts portion.  I can see they are setting up tents right now.

http://ahct.org/about/vac.cfm

Begs the question.  What will the western part of the old Mathews Warehouse be used for if it's not exhibit space?  Storage?

I think its still available/no use has been decided.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2011, 02:41:03 pm »

I think its still available/no use has been decided.

I thought it was being torn down to make way for the new arts center?

The new building will be bounded by Brady, Boston and Archer correct?  That is what these elevations seem to indicate:

Brady

Boston

Archer

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2011, 03:37:31 pm »

The new building will be bounded by Brady, Boston and Archer correct?  That is what these elevations seem to indicate:

"The Arts and Humanities Council still plans to build a visual arts center. Ken Busby, the council's executive director, said ground will be broken in May on the new site, just south of the Mathews Warehouse on what is now a parking lot at the corner of Archer Street and Boston Avenue"

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2011, 09:39:55 pm »

Artist,
Sadly, much modern is ugly (Crashship, for example).  Then there is NSU building - personal opinion moment - that I think is very nicely done.

And several of the buildings that architect did that we had a discussion about some time back.  If I recall - the guy that designed the Crashship - also had some very good work.  Guess he felt that he could get away with that here.  He was right.

Burj Kalifa is pretty good, too, and it seems to be pretty modern.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2011, 10:24:03 pm »

Artist,
Sadly, much modern is ugly (Crashship, for example).  Then there is NSU building - personal opinion moment - that I think is very nicely done.

And several of the buildings that architect did that we had a discussion about some time back.  If I recall - the guy that designed the Crashship - also had some very good work.  Guess he felt that he could get away with that here.  He was right.

Burj Kalifa is pretty good, too, and it seems to be pretty modern.

Huh? I don't see much modernism in the design of NSU, either in Tahlequah or BA. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2011, 11:58:41 pm »

Huh? I don't see much modernism in the design of NSU, either in Tahlequah or BA. 

bunch of armchair architects.

Cesar Pelli also designed the Petronas Towers in Malaysia.  I happen to like the CrashShip.  Very good to see concerts in.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2011, 06:58:05 am »

Actually, I am kind of starting to warm up to the Crashship from an aesthetic view.  It provides a 'clash' that brings some variety to the area, so will soon be embracing it's ugliness, I am sure.

Hey!  I just discovered a new name for it!!  Clashship!!  Thanks, Hoss, for setting me on that train of thought track!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2011, 07:08:23 am »

NSU - not modernism.  But a nice clean modern design that is reasonably attractive rather than 'institutional'.  TCC at 81st and 169 is getting old, but still nicely done.

My favorites will always be the old, "shotgun bungalow" era buildings - residential and commercial - but I can certainly appreciate more modern structures if they even come close to showing some thought and design.

Which brings me to a favorite rant point - "big fancy housing additions" where the main architectural feature is the double or triple garage door!  Yeah, right.  Someone just gave up.  And my favorite addition to pick on about that has to be Chimney Hills.  Have looked at several houses with intent to buy (move closer to some friends) and talking to the HOA reps at the time was a trip.  Unbelievable.  Just couldn't wrap their mind around the idea that the area has some nice places, BUT it ain't "all that" - it IS mostly a celebration of garage doors as architecture.  And while MBA's think their crap don't stink - HOA's think their houses don't get termites!  But they do....

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2011, 07:29:14 am »

Our garage door does not face the street.  It's a good thing too because I wouldn't want casual passersby to see inside if the door is open.  It's full, but not with cars.  We still have stuff in there from our old place back east which had a cellar.

Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2011, 09:04:34 am »

Brady

Boston

Archer

I think it faces Archer and Boston....the elevation that says Brady Street actually will face the Mathews Building, and a sculpture garden between the two facilities.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org