A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:32:30 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barnard Trace (former Barnard Elementary School)  (Read 6812 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: July 05, 2015, 06:43:28 pm »

Didnt have its own thread.  An article from last October:

The Tulsa school board gave the go-ahead Monday to selling the vacant Barnard school site to developers who have plans for 18 residential lots.
Lindsay Development LLC offered $1.005 million for the site at 2324 E. 17th St., which became vacant after a fire destroyed the 1925-era school building.

School district officials were keenly interested in feedback from residents of the Yorktown and Gillette historic districts, which surround the site. Longtime Tulsa developers Phil Marshall's and Lindsay Perkins' proposal to redevelop the vacant Barnard school site into a residential neighborhood called "Barnard Trace" received a positive reception from residents.

The two have been in the real estate business since the early '70s and have experience building houses in the historic neighborhoods surrounding Barnard. In this case, they said they would spend about 18 months preparing the lots, taking care to preserve as many of the school site's old stone retention walls and large, old trees as possible, and then begin selling them to individual buyers to build homes between 1,800 and 4,000 square feet.

Marshall has said publicly that the name "trace" is a reference to the site's legacy as the home of the school.

Barnard was shuttered as an elementary school in a districtwide school consolidation move in May 2011. Then on Sept. 5, 2012, a fire destroyed the school building. Investigators found that a construction contractor hired by the building's tenant, a charter high school, accidentally caused the fire.

Im amazed that they can fit 18 upscale midtown homes there,
but not so thrilled that they just installed a bunch of un-shielded "acorn" streetlights.
Those glare-bombs wouldn't be compliant with the new zoning, and unless Im mistaken, arent allowed under existing PUDs.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 07:38:11 pm »

Do you go to the TMAPC meetings to make your voice heard on lighting?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 09:42:33 pm »

Do you go to the TMAPC meetings to make your voice heard on lighting?

In the past, as well as INCOG (which is why I know about the shielding requirements for PUDs) but not this one.
Thats the problem when certain code enforcement is complaint driven instead of de-facto requirements that must be met to advance to the building stage.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 08:16:14 am »

I think this is a good use of this space. The lot is surrounded by a residential neighborhood and right now this has to be a headache for the neighbors with all of the junk that has been dumped and people just hanging around here.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 12:38:55 pm »

Somehow...This has to be the fault of law enforcement......

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 09:33:05 pm »

I think this is a good use of this space. The lot is surrounded by a residential neighborhood and right now this has to be a headache for the neighbors with all of the junk that has been dumped and people just hanging around here.

Are we talking about the same place?    https://goo.gl/maps/KMy2b

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 06:01:43 pm »

So now the historic tree near the old school entrance that everyone was keen on preserving is being bulldozed.
Nice touch.

buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 07:44:52 am »

I hate how that neighborhood looks. But I hate sweetgum trees even more. There were so many people trying to save it, and I could never figure out why.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 12:05:03 am »

We did a time capsule in 1976 at Barnard, and no-one seems to know if it's been dug up with excavation for the housing development.  It was buried out in front somewhere near the flagpole, I believe, but everyone was secretive about the location so it would not be disturbed before the scheduled unearthing date.  Only problem is, no one seems to be alive who knew the secret of where it was buried.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 08:03:09 am »

I like how this pocket neighborhood is turning out.  It will look even better once the trees mature.  I’d like to see a similar infill development on the old H&P site at 21st & St Louis.

Some pics of the houses:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:06:04 am by SXSW » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org