A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:00:03 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) Brady Theater Redevelopment  (Read 29669 times)
FOTD
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 03:04:29 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

Originally posted by FOTD

When will our city leaders realize the value in a simple redevelopment of the areas directly around the Cain's and on to The Old Lady?/quote]

But there has been a lot of work done in the area by city leaders in the area. I see new sidewalks and streetlamps all over near there.

I guess I don't understand what blame you want to put on city leaders.

Industrial uses should be moved from the Brady district.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 03:29:45 pm »

I don't disagree nor agree...but...

Who pays to buy those businesses?

It would probably costs millions to move the Milk Company and many dollars to move the other industrial use properties.

Where does the money come from?

Is redevelopment of this area a higher priority than east downtown development? Than river bank development? Than north side development?

Power is nothing till you use it.
rwarn17588
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 05:39:07 pm »

Y'know, I like the Brady.

But I like Cain's more.

And, apparently, so do a whole heck of a lot more people and music artists.

Just sayin'.
FOTD
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2007, 02:30:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

I don't disagree nor agree...but...

Who pays to buy those businesses?

It would probably costs millions to move the Milk Company and many dollars to move the other industrial use properties.

Where does the money come from?

Is redevelopment of this area a higher priority than east downtown development? Than river bank development? Than north side development?

It is north side development....

Is Beale Street a high priority for Memphis? For real, the Brady has more potential to be a national attraction than the East side ....the East End does not have the history nor the right synergy. BTW, the Cain's gets the acts ONLY because of the numbers....In other words, both the Ole Lady and the Cain's serve the country well.....except for parking. I was down there for the Doobies and found nowhere close to park because there was a teeny show at Cain's....and what about the Mathews conversion? What about channel 6? They have vision...Come on, the Brady could reep the greatest return for the buck....and the money? Lortons, Sharps, Ceja, Kaiser, Rodgers, etc. and TIFF and THE CITY OF TULSA (you) ....the east side is futuristic Wally World.

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2007, 03:46:41 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

Y'know, I like the Brady.

But I like Cain's more.

And, apparently, so do a whole heck of a lot more people and music artists.

Just sayin'.

I like both Cain's and the Old Lady...but I'd have to say, I prefer to have the option of sitting down at a concert (guess this makes me old...).  

Cain's is busy b/c it's got great management, great history, and a great business plan.  It can book small, independent artists and attract a hundred people...or big acts like Damien Rice or Willie Neslon and pack 'em to the gills.  They don't have to worry about empty seats b/c...there aren't any!  The place is like one of those clown cars at the circus...its capacity expands from small to infinity as needed.

The Brady could definitely support more acts...even after the arena is built, its size puts it in its own niche.  And I am certain that if the remodeling/facelift would occur, it would attract national attention.  

I've seen concerts all over the country, and the Brady is one of my favorite venues, despite needing some TLC.  I love the "up close and personal" intimacy of the place.  You don't have to spend a fortune to get close enough to see the performers' faces...you're already right there.

$80 for a concert at Red Rocks or some huge NBA arena with microscopic performers and distorted sound...or $40 at the Brady for a real show you can see and hear.  I know which one I'd pick any day!
FOTD
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2007, 08:33:12 pm »

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/1107/476964.html

NewsChannel 8 has learned Tulsa's historic Brady Theater is closing its doors, for now. Effective at midnight Friday night, the Tulsa Entertainment Group will no longer occupy or manage the Brady Theater. That means the 'Old Lady on Brady' will sit dark.

Some of the biggest acts in music have performed there and there is a sense of history that runs back to 1912. For that reason, Owner Peter Mayo is hoping to eventually reopen.
He says there is an entire neighborhood at stake.

"This whole area of town needs a lot of attention," Mayo says. "There are three venues here -- Cain's, the Brady and the new arena. This area of town needs to be an entertainment district."

Tonight at 10, we will have more on this developing story
FOTD
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2007, 08:35:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

How, in the hell, does an 18,000 seat arena have a detrimental effect on a 3,000 seat theater?  Its not like they will be competing for the same acts.

Maybe not neccesarily the same acts but the same customer and their money.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2008, 02:31:44 pm »

Workers are currently remodeling the bathrooms and bar area (among other things) in preparation for the Brady to reopen in April.  The first show will be "Panic at the Disco," which I've never heard of...but after that, the guys who are doing the remodeling said that Sheryl Crow will be coming to the Brady sometime soon.  Her tour dates aren't posted yet, but I'm excited.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2008, 02:43:11 pm »

Well that's a turnaround from ... ya know.. nothing.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 02:44:30 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

Workers are currently remodeling the bathrooms and bar area (among other things) in preparation for the Brady to reopen in April.  The first show will be "Panic at the Disco," which I've never heard of...but after that, the guys who are doing the remodeling said that Sheryl Crow will be coming to the Brady sometime soon.  Her tour dates aren't posted yet, but I'm excited.

Panic! at the Disco is a hell of an alt-rock band.  They'll pack the house.  So glad to hear that things are progressing.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2008, 03:16:53 pm »

Crow has some listing already:
NY, London, New Orleans Jazz Festival... through June of 2008.  My guess is she is not official booked yet or maybe that tour is not announced yet.
http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?Content=A-SHECRO&StartSearch.x=12&StartSearch.y=12&By=All&PSKey=Y

But it looks like April 15th is their official grand-reoping based on the schedule:
Tue   04/15/08          "Honda Civic Tour"
Tue   04/15/08       Motion City Soundtrack
Tue   04/15/08       Panic At The Disco
Tue   04/15/08       Phantom Planet
Tue   04/15/08       The Hush Sound

Damn glad they're getting it done and coming back!  Hope they bring in some big names or some great acts.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2008, 01:28:25 pm »

quote:

All true.  

That could have come straight from Pete Mayo's mouth.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dsjeffries
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2008, 03:23:01 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:

All true.  

That could have come straight from Pete Mayo's mouth.

I LOVE Panic at the Disco!!!!! Can't wait
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2008, 02:01:36 pm »

It's official: Sheryl Crow will re-open to the Ol' Lady on April 23. Tulsa World Article
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2008, 02:40:23 pm »

Might be a show I'd like to see.  Not really into Crow, but of course I know her stuff.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org