A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:03:11 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Lady Bird" Johnson Dies Today at 94  (Read 3218 times)
Steve
« on: July 11, 2007, 07:46:14 pm »

Former first lady "Lady Bird" Johnson passed today at age 94.

Mamie Eisenhower was first lady when I was born in 1957, and I have a few memories of Jackie Kennedy (I was 6 when JFK was murdered) but Lady Bird is the first "first lady" that I have the most clear, concrete memories of.  I most remember her "Keep America Beautiful" campaigns, her efforts to rid our cities and highways of billboard clutter, and her efforts to plant wildflowers and beautify the coutrysides.

A truly gracious lady, that took the "first lady" position at a very difficult and unpleasant time in our country's history, may she RIP.
NellieBly
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 07:58:20 am »

Nothing typifies central Texas more than the bluebonnets and she is responsible for that. I miss seeing them every April. I wish they would grow in Oklahoma. She left behind a permanent and beautiful legacy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org