A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:38:51 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wth is that smell??? smells like NG... ?????  (Read 12836 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 11:51:25 am »

If that smell is the refineries across the river we need to enjoy it. Fuel prices are high enough as it is. Let the refinery do it's job. Any blip with the refineries and pump prices could pass the $4.00 level overnight. The QT man is out there just waiting to change the "3" on the price sign to a "4".[B)]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Kingdaddy
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 12:21:43 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

If that smell is the refineries across the river we need to enjoy it. Fuel prices are high enough as it is. Let the refinery do it's job. Any blip with the refineries and pump prices could pass the $4.00 level overnight. The QT man is out there just waiting to change the "3" on the price sign to a "4".[B)]

“The sound shivers through the walls, through the table, through the window frame, and into my finger. These distraction-oholics. These focus-ophobics. Old George Orwell got it backward. Big Brother isn't watching. He's singing and dancing. He's pulling rabbits out of a hat. Big Brother's holding your attention every moment you're awake. He's making sure you're always distracted. He's making sure you're fully absorbed... and this being fed, it's worse than being watched. With the world always filling you, no one has to worry about what's in your mind. With everyone's imagination atrophied, no one will ever be a threat to the world.”
~Chuck Palahniuk
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 01:01:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy
Never smelled refinery stink that far away and I've lived here 5 decades.

This smell did not come from the refinery.

It came from a hazardous waste company at 20th and Southwest Boulevard named Envirosolve.

They process, re-package and ship hazardous waste, mostly from heavy industrial companies in the Tulsa area. They handle some very nasty stuff and some workers made a mistake.

Power is nothing till you use it.
waterboy
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 04:08:31 pm »

So why wasn't it reported? Did I miss it?
AMP
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 10:32:37 pm »

Was covered in this thread and on TV...

Sqrizzle posted  this in this thread above.. Post #6  

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0707/438166.html

Mercaptan leak.

World's largest stink bomb.

Heh.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 09:49:46 pm »

Apparently there on fire again.
Close your windows...

Several fire crews and hazmat teams are on the scene of a business fire near 21st and Southwest Blvd.  They're fighting flames at EnviroSolve, a hazardous materials disposal company.

A News On 6 crew is on the scene but firefighters have asked crews to back up because the fumes from the fire could be toxic.  The only people allowed close to the scene are wearing gas masks.

Southwest Boulevard is blocked off around the fire.
Updated: March 15, 2008 10:36 PM

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
USRufnex
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 10:46:10 pm »

21st & Southwest Blvd...?

Gee, that'd be a great area for:  "700,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and office space; 90 to 100 condos; three to four acres of open space; amphitheater; multiuse sports complex; 4-star hotel; museum or cultural events center..."

I can't believe the Drillers weren't all that interested in playing in a ballpark sandwiched in-between two oil refineries and down the street from this.... http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2005/01/03/daily34.html

/sarcasm.  [B)]

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 12:43:09 pm »

They're at it again.....

TULSA, OK -- Several southwest Tulsa residents, firefighters and police officers were treated for respiratory problems after a chemical cloud billowed out from Envirosolve, a hazardous waste management company located at 2120 Southwest Boulevard. The incident happened just after midnight Sunday morning.

Tulsa firefighters responding to the hazmat call found vapors coming from an 85-gallon drum containing sodium percarbonate, a chemical used in portable toilets and septic tanks.  It appears that an increase in humidity caused a reaction with the chemical and caused a vapor release, according to reports from the TFD.

The chemical cloud stayed close to the ground and spread southeast from the business. The vapors caused irritation to the eyes and nose, and several Tulsa fire crews were evaluated for these symptoms.

Residents in a nearby apartment complex as well as the emergency response crews were treated by EMSA paramedics in the incident.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Rico
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 09:41:20 pm »

So I guess the condos and everything are kinda on hold now huh..?
Wrinkle
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 10:32:15 pm »

Strike Three, and we're not talkin' ballparks.

Why does the City continue to permit (zone) these types of uses directly upstream from our predominant wind? A river is no boundary when it comes to air.

btw, according to wikipedia, sodium perchlorate is non-hazardous. So, why was anyone 'treated' for exposure?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:37:28 pm by Wrinkle » Logged
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 12:27:12 am »

btw, according to wikipedia, sodium perchlorate is non-hazardous. So, why was anyone 'treated' for exposure?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate

First off, you linked to the wrong substance. Secondly, if you read the MSDS for the correct substance, you'll see that "prolonged exposure may result in skin burns and ulcerations." And "over-exposure by inhalation may cause respiratory irritation."

Moreover "The substance may be toxic to blood, kidneys, liver, thyroid. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage."

Worse, it explodes (that's ammonium perchlorate, but they are used for the same thing) when it gets hot and is a powerful oxidizer.

Sodium percarbonate, on the other hand, while it can cause skin burns and lung and eye irritation, doesn't damage your internal organs so badly, and reacts violently with water.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
waterboy
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 06:02:10 am »

Just what is our predominant wind? My home faces the South. Judging by the leaves and grass clippngs I clean up, it blows from the south all summer, and from the north all winter. During the rainy spring it seems to come from the southwest. So where would a "safe" place be?

My irritation is that they seem to place these things near waterways that course through metropolitan areas. That comes from the fact that most industry and railroads located near those same waterways during the last 150 years. They didn't know any better, but we do.
Wrinkle
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 08:28:45 am »

First off, you linked to the wrong substance. Secondly, if you read the MSDS for the correct substance, you'll see that "prolonged exposure may result in skin burns and ulcerations." And "over-exposure by inhalation may cause respiratory irritation."

Moreover "The substance may be toxic to blood, kidneys, liver, thyroid. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage."

Worse, it explodes (that's ammonium perchlorate, but they are used for the same thing) when it gets hot and is a powerful oxidizer.

Sodium percarbonate, on the other hand, while it can cause skin burns and lung and eye irritation, doesn't damage your internal organs so badly, and reacts violently with water.

Well, actually, it's correctly linked, I just mis-stated it in the prior statement (incorrectly as "perchlorate" rather than "percarbonate").

The percarbonate is not considered hazardous.

Hot butter will cause skin irritation.

Seems to me stuff that reacts so with water would be stored where it wouldn't get wet.

Wrinkle
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 08:30:38 am »

Just what is our predominant wind? My home faces the South. Judging by the leaves and grass clippngs I clean up, it blows from the south all summer, and from the north all winter. During the rainy spring it seems to come from the southwest. So where would a "safe" place be?

My irritation is that they seem to place these things near waterways that course through metropolitan areas. That comes from the fact that most industry and railroads located near those same waterways during the last 150 years. They didn't know any better, but we do.

I'd agree, however, ALL wind here has an easterly component. Something about large rotating masses.

Anywhere east of the city would be 100 times better than immediately west of a major metropolitan area.

Hometown
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 11:39:27 am »

You might as well keep this thread around so that every few months we can express our displeasure at the smell.  Notice I didn’t say, "shock" and "surprise." 

After being back in Tulsa for four years and analyzing the situation I would say that, barring a miracle, Tulsa will stink for the rest of our lives.  Tulsa’s air will be hazardous to our health for the rest of our (shortened lives) and what’s more, we are thankful for it.  God bless Tulsa.  There’s no place else like our stinking home.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org