A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:02:41 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $1000 Traffic Tickets  (Read 4184 times)
Wilbur
« on: June 29, 2007, 03:47:47 pm »

Virginia, in dire need to raise cash to fix their roads, have added civil fines on top of criminal fines for their traffic tickets.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-06-29-Va-new-driving-laws_N.htm

Get caught speeding 20 miles per hour above the speed limit will set you back $1211.  Get caught without your driver license will cost you $1000.

The state, in all their kindness, will give you 26 months to pay off your ticket(s).  Nice of 'em.

And people thought Tulsa's $120 were bad.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 03:58:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

Virginia, in dire need to raise cash to fix their roads, have added civil fines on top of criminal fines for their traffic tickets.

Get caught speeding 20 miles per hour above the speed limit will set you back $1211.  Get caught without your driver license will cost you $1000.

The state, in all their kindness, will give you 26 months to pay off your ticket(s).  Nice of 'em.

Municipal greed, ya gotta love it!
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 11:39:14 am »

quote:

Doesn't that just support the argument that tickets are really all about revenue?
...and isnt implying Tulsa isnt so bad by comparison like saying we're better 'cause we dont cut your fingers off when we steal your rings?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 02:00:28 pm »

"In an effort to raise money for road projects"

They don't even pretend it is to discourage behavior anymore.  I smell a court challenge.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
bluelake
Activist

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 08:44:28 pm »

wow and what a coincidence that the only state to ban radar detectors is Virginia!  I guess not even that was good enough for 'em.  [xx(]

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 09:53:28 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bluelake

wow and what a coincidence that the only state to ban radar detectors is Virginia!

...a ban that violates federal law, BTW  (Federal Communications Act of 1934).

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 08:48:19 am »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:

Doesn't that just support the argument that tickets are really all about revenue?
...and isnt implying Tulsa isnt so bad by comparison like saying we're better 'cause we dont cut your fingers off when we steal your rings?

Exactly my thoughts...
"Serve and protect" my $#@! I'm sorry - but this kind of thing really ticks me off. I've lived in Virginia (beautiful place) - but using police to raise money (and insurance rates) cannot be a good use of your police department. Maybe they're just figuring they don't need more policemen fund raising on the roads - just higher fines. If they are raising the fines to make more money, do they really want to be a deterrent? Wouldn't it behoove them to have people break traffic laws so they can raise more money?

I wonder how many bogus tickets are given out?

What message is really being sent?

Don't speed, its unsafe. Speed, please - its the only way we can fix the potholes.

"Ma'am, I know you weren't speeding, but you're ugly and poor. And (insert minority here). We know you won't contest this in court; its my word against yours and I'm a police officer. Besides, we really need the money. Just sign here."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org