A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:21:21 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: school uniforms  (Read 6757 times)
AMP
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 11:39:53 am »

I agree with the cost factor. On the same note, perhaps we should all revert to driving air cooled Volkswagen Bugs.  Great gas mileage, little maintenance and all look the same.

Go Kart Racing sanctions have a similar rule that uses Intake Manifold restrictors.  No matter how much money a kids dad may have, the restrictor keeps the horsepower all equal so the big bucks guys have no advantage.
rwarn17588
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 12:58:00 pm »

No, thanks. The Bugs do indeed get good mileage, but they pollute too much, and the heaters suck during the wintertime.

I'll stick to my 55 miles per gallon Honda Insight, thank you very much.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 04:48:41 pm »

I am in strongly in favor of district wide uniforms for all grades for many reasons.

1) $, nice looking clothing is cheaper and longer lasting than trendy clothing.  P

2) Ease.  Khaki pants go with any shirt my 7 year old can pick out.  He knows what school clothes are and can put them together. Not only is that easier, but it gives him some self sufficiency.

3) Safety.  Not much of an argument in the elementary level, and little later on (since you can always find SOMETHING to differentiate. Ie., nothced eye brows).  Still, gets some merit I guess.

4) Learning environment.  School is NOT a fashion show.  Its not to show who knows whats is trendy or who has money.  Nor is it the place to push the limits of what should be tolerated (Coed Naked...).  Kids have an attention spam shorter than my, well, they're short.  They dont need more distractions.

5) Societal norms.  While it is true that few occupations wear ties to work, most uniforms are simply business casual, as are most offices.  It teaches them what will be expected of them not only at work, but in any environment they want to be respected by professionals.  You can hate the idea if you want to, but the fact of the matter is the guy in khakis and a polo will get more respect and less grief than the guy wearing 1 pair of tighty whitey's, a pair of boxers, some athletic shorts, and an over sized pair of jeans; each layered so you can see the others, crotch extending to his knees and shirt tucked in to proudly display his layered wonders.  I hesitate to break for the latter (Im a horrible person I know).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
deinstein
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 11:01:24 pm »

Let's take away the kids creativity and expression. Sweet...wait, how about let's not.
si_uk_lon_ok
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 02:30:22 am »

quote:
Originally posted by deinstein

Let's take away the kids creativity and expression. Sweet...wait, how about let's not.

Sap creativity? Let’s think about this for a moment. In the UK almost all children wear school uniforms. The UK has still managed to produce music, art, literature, plays. Some depending on your tastes were quite good. While I’m not saying a school uniform leads to a creative and fulfilling life, neither am I saying does it lead people to a life devoid of any creativity. Is there any study saying what you wear from the ages of 7 – 16 actually effect how you turn out as an adult?
Hometown
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 03:05:21 pm »

What I find odd is that a generation that took individuality to an extreme should turn around and push conformity on their kids.  Our generation truly shattered all social conventions, witness the morbidly obese gay couple having a slug fest on the Barry Slinger Show.  Anything and everything is sacrosanct as long as “no one gets hurt.”  

Be true to yourself.  Well we certainly added new meaning to that phrase.

Now we are born again advocates for conformity.  Something is rotten here.

It reminds me of the saying, and I promise to botch it, the nail that stands up gets hammered down.  And we can’t wait to make it policy.

AMP
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 09:01:57 am »

"Uniforms are great for conformity. Republicans and Evangelicals love conformity more than life itself."

Sounds like Right Wing Religious Nut Cases.

Also the Taliban comes to mind....

Sangria
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 07:32:21 am »

"Let's take away the kids creativity"

I found that line very interesting. It's like people think that clothes are the only way kids have to expess their individuality and I find that pathetic and more than a little sad.

Give the kids a paint brush, teach them to read and write and they can write poems and stories and illistrate them.

Teach them to sing and dance. Teach them to make music.

These things will not only help them express themselves but they will also give them a sense of accomplishment and pride.

That is something clothes just can't do.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2007, 05:39:35 pm »

Ya know, I've been up in the air about this whole uniform thing for a while.  And while I have issues on several sides of it, the main debates I have are about individuality.  On the for side, I have the whole allows everyone to be equal.  But, in the real world, it doesn't work that way.  Yes, in some work inviroments you are required to wear uniforms.  But this is still a choice.  You can choose to not work there, and there for not wear a uniform.  Then there are arguments that you are there to learn, not to have a fashion show.  Part of that is right, you are there to learn.  But do you really think that everything you learn in school is what teachers drone on about out of a book?  No, you have to learn about the diversities of the world around you, about social acceptance, and lack there of, and status.  These are the truths of life, so why should we shield our children from this so that they get a cold slap in the face when they enter the world? But, parents don't seem to want to bother with raising children today.  Now don't go throwing about this whole single parent inviroment stuff around, because that is just a bunch of bull.  Yes, it is better for a child to have two good parents, but one good parent is better then two poor parents.  So without the guidance that these children desperatly need from the ones that they should recieve it from, they are thrown to the wolves without the benifit of knowledge.  Floundering, they seek substanance, and this is generally found in unexpected ways.  This search, and since of finding, can come in outrages choices in appearance.  So, with the lack of guidance from responsible parents, then some form of control must be in place, and for the schools who are also tasked with teaching our children to survive in the world, can come down to something as simple as uniforms. I do not believe that this is the ultimate solution, but it is an attempt to move in the right direction.  Only time will tell if the attempt is warrented.  But, something must be done.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2007, 05:41:01 pm »

okay, so that one turned out a bit more lengthy then I had planned. lol I started typing and couldn't stop.  Sorry about being so longwinde there, just hope it gives you a chance to pause and think
mr.jaynes
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 11:52:15 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

What I find odd is that a generation that took individuality to an extreme should turn around and push conformity on their kids.  Our generation truly shattered all social conventions, witness the morbidly obese gay couple having a slug fest on the Barry Slinger Show.  

Be true to yourself.  Well we certainly added new meaning to that phrase.

Now we are born again advocates for conformity.  Something is rotten here.

It reminds me of the saying, and I promise to botch it, the nail that stands up gets hammered down.  And we can’t wait to make it policy.

Though my politics tends to veer more toward the liberal side of the spectrum, perhaps there actually is a conservative aspect to me, insofar as I fondly look to the days when this nation was built upon the dreams and philosophies of non-conformists and individualists, people who themselves shattered social norms and conventions and broke out of certain constraints. But where individuality and personal ingenuity was once rewarded, it becomes something to be feared. In your more culturally conservative enclaves in this country where the political scene is more dominated by the interests of religious groups, conformity is not only demanded, it's enforced. It's a far cry from cities like New Orleans or New York, for instance, where it's not unusual to see nigh-infinite displays of individuality and self-expression amidst the populace; indeed, the culture is practically built upon these types of people!

Gaining your individualism is difficult, given the external pressure to conform. But once one casts off antiquated and restrictive standards of thought, dressing and grooming, and social etiquette and begins to adress life in better terms than one is used to-and actually comes out on top, there is a certain satisfaction to be had from that. Above all, it's to be expected that one will encourage successive generations to do the same.

As for the reference to Jerry Springer, it's good trashy TV, but it doesn't try to be something that it's not. In a way, it's being true to itself.

quote:
Originally posted by SoonerRiceGrad

I favor uniforms, because research proves that they create a consistent standard for all students attending a school. They increase a school's image. Inner city schools that have mandatory uniforms don't look as trashy, and the students feel like they are at a decent school, and not the Betty Ford Clinic.

I don't know about that. In New Orleans where there were school uniforms on a large scale, there was still poor quality of instruction, a high crime rate and a high dropout rate. A dress code is merely a band-aid at a train wreck. Something like this is merely a cosmetic change.
Phireman
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 07:18:09 pm »

Catholic School Girls in Trouble

A film by Sameul L. Bronkowitz
mr.jaynes
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 11:46:19 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Phireman

Catholic School Girls in Trouble

A film by Sameul L. Bronkowitz

OK, well, how about Superstar starring Molly Shannon from SNL?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org