A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:59:27 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Word Contest: Define "Chovey"  (Read 4209 times)
Shadow6
« on: June 07, 2007, 08:48:38 am »

Chovey.
(cho-vee)
(Hat tip to grahambino, who suggested a phonetic spelling.)

If you know, or think you know, the definition of this word, please PM me with your definition. Please provide a short definition, and use it in a sentence in your PM.  Please don't post your answer here right now.  You are certainly welcome to post that you sent me a PM, if you want.

I want to know if you know the word, not if you can look it up.  Besides, my Google search did not turn up anything useful.  If you know the word, I'd appreciate some information about how you know the word, and, if you learned it from your family, where your family is from.

I recently became curious about this word, because it was a part of my lexicon in my childhood and young adulthood, used mostly by my uncles and grandfather, but it appears most people simply have no clue about this word.  

I recently used the word "chovey" on two occasions.  One was at work.  My coworkers are about two-thirds Oklahoma residents of some time, and about a third were non-natives, recently moved here(five years or so).  The second time I used the word I was in Stillwater, in the company of people from all over the country, with a smattering of Oklahomans, including Oklahoma bankers and a successful  oilman. Only one person knew the word, and his response was instant, and casual.  He knew the word, and used it as if he had long-time knowledge of the word.  The man who knew the word "chovey" is a rancher in his early 60's who lives in the Marlow area, southwestern Oklahoma.

Thanks! I'll post my findings in a few days.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 09:05:21 am »

Chovey- isn't that the brand of truck people drive who have a mouth full of food or marbles?

"C'mon out and I'll show you my new 'Chovey'."

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
mr.jaynes
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 03:54:37 pm »

chovey-this would be shorthand for "anchovy."
Shadow6
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 07:22:30 am »

"Chovey,", as I heard my uncles and grandfather use it, signifies movement.  It would be faster than "mosey".

For instance, "Let's chovey on down to the store and get some grub."

The other gentleman who knew of the word, a rancher in the Marlow/Lawton area, recently wrote this about the word:

quote:
I picked the word up in the 70s heard guys in the Rodeo use it,one was Freckles, I think Lane Frost's dad Clyde uses it. Several of the hands were from southwest Oklahoma. It was a fairly common thing to hear someone say, "Lets chovey, Pard"

Clyde Frost is the father of rodeo star Lane Frost, and Freckles Brown was another prominent rodeo star.  Brown lived in Atoka County.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 07:44:13 am »

S6- Any idea what the origin of the word is?

I saw the movie about Lane Frost a few years back, "8 Seconds".

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Shadow6
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 09:53:04 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

S6- Any idea what the origin of the word is?

I saw the movie about Lane Frost a few years back, "8 Seconds".

I have no clue about the word origin.  I heard it as a child, and just absorbed it into my personal word bank.  

It's funny how you use words.  I think I only used the word when I was around my relations who used it, in a similar way to how people use different words and phrases at work, home, or other places.  

I used to be in the Army, and I had one vocabulary for work, and one for home in those days.

Next time I'm down in the southern part of the state, I'll do some snooping around.  

Maybe I should ask around at some rodeo message boards.

Hope I provided some mild amusement.  I mostly lurk.  

Thanks to all who responded.  

/LURK MODE ON

Wink

AMP
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 05:47:30 pm »

Some words in Oklahoma are unique to specific towns and areas.  Like Youins.

Youins gona go ta town ta nite?

Similar to Ya all, Youins I have found is common among the folks living in the Foyil - Chelsea area.    

Sometimes use of this translator seems to help break down some of the communication barriers.

http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/

Rowdy
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 08:39:25 pm »

I used to get my "farm on" by getting my threads at the local chovey.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 09:18:23 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

Some words in Oklahoma are unique to specific towns and areas.  Like Youins.

Youins gona go ta town ta nite?

Similar to Ya all, Youins I have found is common among the folks living in the Foyil - Chelsea area.    

Sometimes use of this translator seems to help break down some of the communication barriers.

http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/

Rural Creek County as well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org