A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:55:26 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to rehab a building.  (Read 3133 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: June 06, 2007, 10:57:06 am »

I am helping a group considering buying an old barrel-roof furniture store and fixing it up. The intended purpose is for a church. Recent tenants have put in a drop ceiling and then later added a midget-sized second floor. They are wondering about restoring the exposed brick and barrel roof.

This building is far from "nationally historic" but is there any assistance for this kind of restoration out there?

Anyone preservation minded who could provide GC, engineering, or random advice for free/cheap?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 12:32:15 pm »

Really no suggestions, other than they might want to reconsider and rent something rather than to get into a money pit.

We can talk about it Friday at lunch.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 01:35:31 pm »

$10 per sqft
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 09:55:04 am »

Not a bad deal unless the upkeep will eat them alive.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jdb
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 11:02:08 am »

Would an $8K gas bill in Feb. cause anyone to flinch?

Drop ceilings are ugly and not so cheap themselves, probably went in due to gas bills, then respectability, right?

I could care less about helping a church: but buildings are someting know a litle about so shoot me a location of the site and I'll see what I know and report back.

jdb
daddys little squirt
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 12:28:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

I am helping a group considering buying an old barrel-roof furniture store and fixing it up. The intended purpose is for a church. Recent tenants have put in a drop ceiling and then later added a midget-sized second floor. They are wondering about restoring the exposed brick and barrel roof.

This building is far from "nationally historic" but is there any assistance for this kind of restoration out there?

Anyone preservation minded who could provide GC, engineering, or random advice for free/cheap?

I know that building. It was previously furniture stores. The drop ceiling and the second floor are hideous and dangerous. They need to be taken out. I frankly am surprised that they passed any building inspection. It does appear that the building itself is worthy.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 01:10:45 pm »

That building (Raw wood furniture) isn't going to pan out. The realtor sold the neighboring building and gave them more of the shared parking lot than he thought. New owners put up a barb-wire fence rendering the parking lot basically unusable. That and the fact they seemed to have no clue where the A/C units were (they were gone) didn't help.

If anyone knows of any fixer uppers that aren't money pits, send me a note.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org