A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:17:49 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kendall Whittier Neighborhood  (Read 28925 times)
breitee
« on: May 31, 2007, 09:47:35 am »

How are living conditions in Kendall Whittier? I have heard various opinions about moving there. Anybody have any feedback, positive or negative?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 10:10:47 am »

Really depends on where in the neighborhood you are talking about.  With TU's improvements on the east end nearer to Delaware it's gotten better.

I believe the western and northern parts are largely working class Hispanic these days, which isn't bad unless you are have something personal against Mexicans.

I recommend you take a look at the crime map from the Tulsa Police web site, drive through, and see for yourself.  I don't think it's near as rough as it was 25 years ago...appearance and crime-wise.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
T Badd
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 01:15:57 pm »

My dad used to be pastor of Immanuel Baptist Church on 3rd between Utica and Lewis during the early '80s. Back then, KW was a SCARY neighborhood. I was pleasantly surprised when I cam back to Tulsa and saw all the improvements along Lewis. I think Conan has it right...with all the improvements down the road at TU, I think this area will continue it's upward swing.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 02:05:40 pm »

Even the adult bookstore closed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 02:08:26 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Even the adult bookstore closed.

Interestingly enough, it's now the "Original Group" AA clubhouse.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 02:08:33 pm »

Why would anyone read adult books when children's books are so much fun?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 02:10:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

Why would anyone read adult books when children's books are so much fun?

The pictures are better in the adult books.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 02:33:36 pm »

I can understand that.

In fact, that is how I order food at a restaurant. I just point at a picture on the menu and say, "I want that".

I really don't know anything about books. I read newspaper, magazines and websites.

I once went into Novel Idea and looked around for some fantasy football magazines. Finding none, I went up to the clerk and said, "excuse me, where is the magazine section"?. The clerk, sneered at me over his glasses and said in a very snotty voice, "Sir, we do not carry periodicals!"

As I left the store I said in a very loud voice, "You people who read books think you are so damn smart". I then went next door to Albertson's and found just the right magazine.

Power is nothing till you use it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 02:42:47 pm »

The area immediately around the Kendal school are a bit troubled, as is most of the area just West of TU.  I hope the area continues to improve, but there are some apartments that will continue to attract many less than desirable neighbors without significant investment.

The school, by the way, is amazing.  I was inside a couple of times for various things and it is, facilities wise, top notch.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 03:02:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

I can understand that.

In fact, that is how I look at adult magazines. I just point at a picture on the page, show it to my wife and say, "I want that".

[}:)][Wink]

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 09:12:53 pm »

On a related note:
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/sys/342083157.html
AMP
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 09:40:49 pm »

One needs to keep in mind that crime is mobile, and while some may be rooted in a square mile,  some may comes from outside your area.  

There was a recent murder in a vacant apartment complex by 7th an Lewis this week.  However, I don't recall hearing of others in the past few months.  

There is always an increase in crime as the weather improves and people move outdoors more.

I lived on 4th Place for 8 years and enjoyed that part of town very much in the late 70s and early 80s.  Close to the highway, downtown, Kinkos on 11th, the University, live entertainment at Skelly Stadium and the now the new Reynolds center.  I recall working with the producers of the New Kids on the Block one weekend, that was a fun production.

As stated, every area has its up and down sides, could be traffic flow, traffic noise, flooding, airplane noise, remote location to services, lack of entertainment venues the list is different for everyone.  

I have lived in South Tulsa, North Tulsa, Osage County, Mid Town, East Tulsa.  All have their features and benefits.  If I had young childern as many of my friends do, I would be more cautious, and may rule out certain areas of Tulsa and North Eastern Oklahoma to live in.  If you are single or an adult couple then it is eaiser to choose the area where you decide to live.  

One of the worst areas I recall was around 56th street north and Trenton.  We knew a single mother that attempted to live there, but had her home robbed within a week of moving in.  Others on her street experienced the same problem.  So that area may still be bad, or it could of been cleaned up recently.  

I remember Morning Star, Apache Manor and some of the other Housing developments on the north sied that had high crime rates, but by intervention they have been cleaned up a lot over the past 10 to 15 years.  

I suggest driving through the area, speaking to people working on their lawns on a Saturday afternoon and getting a feel of things in any neighborhood.  Then make the same type of drive through after dark on a Saturday night to check the noise level and street activity.

Most areas now have neighborhood associatioss you can contact to find information and check out what is planned and in action.

www.incog.org/Homeowners/kendallwhittier/kendall-whittier.htm

www.incog.org/Homeowners/INDEX.htm

Nothing wrong with folks being out at night, however it may be the wrong element for some.  Others may love the excitment of groups of people walking the streets, and may even want to join them.  Not sure what trips your trigger, but one thing is for sure, Tulsa seems to have ample supply of diversity in what ever you are seeking in neighborhoods today.  

Happy abode shopping.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 07:28:52 am »

Crime is mobile and anyone anywhere is at risk...

but to pretend that some areas do not have more crime than other's is ridiculous.  The statistics show that, and considering that nearly every in a middle class neighborhood gets reported compared to a much lesser % in poor, immigrant or minority neighborhoods the discrepancy is even greater than the statistics bare out.  Some neighborhoods really are considerably more dangerous than others.

I'm not saying Kendall is one of them, I do not know the crime statistics for the area nor have I been there at any time other than day time.  However, if someone wanted to walk from TU to the bars downtown I would advise against it at night (distance aside, it really isnt too far to walk anyway).  some areas between those points just seem a little shady and there is no reason to invite trouble.

As much as I would like to be part of the solution, if that involves sacrificing the feeling of my family being safe at home - I will not partake.  Perhaps that is selfish, but at least its an honest assessment.  

and again, I am not comment on any specific area's livability because I do not know the area well enough to make that judgment.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 08:26:37 am »

^^CF- very well said.

AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 12:25:16 pm »

KW has improved quite a bit in the past 20 years. There are now pockets of good housing and pockets of bad. It was pretty much all bad a couple decades ago.

The biggest problem area is 5th Street to 7th Street on the east side of Lewis. It's a little sketchy here and there other places, but it's more concentrated in that one section. However, that's the part nearest to TU and the brand new school, so there's obvious pressure and interest in cleaning that area up. Get that squared away and the whole area probably takes off because of rising property values.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org