A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:18:30 pm
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The American"  (Read 73734 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2014, 09:23:47 pm »

That is an awesome site for something cool. It has a great view of downtown and the river. It also has a path that leads right into the Turkey Mountain Wilderness area.

I hope whatever they do keeps in mind that this is true urban wilderness. There are many, many hikers, strollers, and mountain bike enthusiasts that love Turkey Mountain. A green museum, conference center, or boutique hotel would work.

Turkey Mountain area is the big problem...it's the biggest unoccupied area that could easily be converted to "growth and livability" quickly and easily.  Just scrape the top of it off so it's about 50 feet above riverbank level, slap on a few condos, gated community, a walking shopping center (we could get with the Riverwalk designers....) and the entire area will benefit from hundreds of millions of dollars of "growth and livability"....  The views would be great - gates could be added to the communities like on the east side of the river just a little south of the area.  It's a win!!

And please tell me everyone who reads this does understand the sarcasm.... with just a pinch of scorn and a little infusion of extra virgin olive oil!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2014, 06:48:01 am »

Even that would not work unless........wait for it......."We put WATER IN THE RIVER!"

onward...through the fog
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2014, 09:19:26 am »

As an upstanding suburban citizen on blood pressure meds that include a powerful diuretic, I'll do my part to put water in the river. Just let me have another cup of coffee first.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2014, 10:43:12 am »

Even that would not work unless........wait for it......."We put WATER IN THE RIVER!"

Ok...so Riverwalk didn't work because of no water??

Hey!  Just had a thought!!  Maybe that's why the refineries and concrete place continue to do so well - they have water in the river next to them!!   Ok, I get it now....

Not just for you - not targeting you at all, Aqua, just commentary on our ongoing, continuous dissatisfaction, otherwise known as our short attention span (TADHD - Tulsa ADHD....

I see/hear/ these discussions about how "wouldn't it be wonderful in only we had/did/built/moved this..."  Always on the treadmill of the next big thing - never any satisfaction with what we have in place, which is actually quite a LOT.  Always makes me think of the  Gerry Rafferty song, "Baker Street"....

Paraphrased;

This city desert makes us feel so cold
It's got so many people, but it's got no dam
And it's taken us so long
To find out we were wrong
When we thought a dam held everything

Another dam and then we'd be happy...
Just one more dam and then we'd be happy...
But we're crying, we're crying now...

Maybe Weird Al should do a customized Tulsa river version...

Or if one wants to hear the real words...better entertainment....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSIw09oqsYo&list=RDlSIw09oqsYo

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

Re:
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2014, 10:44:58 am »

As an upstanding suburban citizen on blood pressure meds that include a powerful diuretic, I'll do my part to put water in the river. Just let me have another cup of coffee first.

Too much of that going on now anyway - don't need anymore!

Would much rather have the dams and stop the sewage drainage....

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2014, 10:48:18 am »

H, I was being sarcastic. And I still am. Seems everything in Tulsa would be better, we would have attracted the Thunder, we wouldn't have lost the 66'ers, Bell's would still be here on the West Bank and the Shock would be in the playoffs.......if we just had....WATER IN THE RIVER!.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2014, 10:54:55 am »

H, I was being sarcastic. And I still am. Seems everything in Tulsa would be better, we would have attracted the Thunder, we wouldn't have lost the 66'ers, Bell's would still be here on the West Bank and the Shock would be in the playoffs.......if we just had....WATER IN THE RIVER!.

Sorry...inflection missing moment...

I still would LOVE to have water in the river!!  The entire human species is definitely "keyed" into being near water....longing for our roots, I guess... but it sure won't cure anything that is terminal anyway!  And WAY too many of the development ideas we see littered around town are terminal....or already dead!!   Growth for growth's sake is the concept that needs to die!!

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2014, 01:18:00 pm »

Does that mean 1st Place Lofts will lose funding if it doesn't have a completion plan soon?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2014, 01:46:07 pm »

Does that mean 1st Place Lofts will lose funding if it doesn't have a completion plan soon?

Put water in 1st St. and they will get finished.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2014, 01:49:37 pm »

I think it's had several.
saintnicster
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2014, 02:32:20 pm »

This came out a while back. http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=20569.msg283701#msg283701.
This was specifically said about the 2025 money.
TDA gave Sager the money, in the form of a loan, as part of the Vision 2025 funds devoted to developing downtown housing.

Walker said  TDA expects Sager to pay the money back by 2017. If he does not, and Sager says he will, the TDA could pursue legal action.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2016, 12:24:08 pm »

$460K?  Why haven't we gone this route?  Heck, the Chinese might let us have the head.

Mysterious Giant Golden Statue Of Mao Is Gone

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/mysterious-giant-golden-statue-mao-gone

A 121-foot-high statue of Mao Zedong mysteriously cropped up in a remote field in China's central Henan province, as we reported this week.

But it seems the homage to the founder of Communist China didn't have much time in the sun.

The golden statue grabbed international headlines, sparking criticism and ridicule. Now, local residents and officials say the statue has been torn down, according to media reports. Images circulating on social media show the tribute to Mao with a black cloth draped over its head and missing parts of its legs and arms.

"Demolition teams arrived Thursday morning, villagers said, and by Friday morning only a pile of rubble remained," The New York Times reports. Here's more:

"Public Security officials and groups of unidentified men in olive green greatcoats brusquely turned away visitors and blocked road access to the site, outside the village of Zhushigang.
"Villagers said the guards had been sent by officials in Tongxu County, which includes Zhushigang. They said they believed the statue was torn down on orders from provincial officials."
It's not immediately clear why the statue was destroyed. A local resident told The Guardian that he heard "it was because it had occupied a farmer's land." The newspaper says local media reports that "the statue had not gone through the correct 'approval process' before construction."

The criticism and ridicule might have had something to do with it.

As The Two-Way reported Tuesday, "Henan province was one of the worst-hit areas of what has become known as the 'Great Famine' during Mao's rule, so a statue of Mao in the middle of farmland there might seem like a surprising choice."

The statue also garnered criticism for its steep price tag — about $460,000 — in the middle of what was once one of China's most impoverished areas.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2016, 03:14:48 pm »

Hey, Tulsa is now in "The American" Athletic Conference... so we kind of got a The American. Right

Sad truth: when our own Michael was peddling his statue idea, it didn't even trigger a memory of The American.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2016, 09:38:23 am »

How did the Vision package miss this opportunity?

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2018, 09:04:36 pm »

I'm starting to think this is never going to happen.

LOL
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org