A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:27:12 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The American"  (Read 74454 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2012, 08:43:00 am »

Must be seen from I-44.

I agree.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2012, 09:22:42 am »

Memphis has Beal street, Elvis, and historical things to go along with the Forum.  KC built the Power and Light to compliment everything else (Union station, WWI, river boats, bbq).  Few places have one thing.

Beale St Memphis has gotta be one of the most overrated "attractions" I have ever been to.  They even have a "building" that is only the facade - being propped up by steel supports.  Barbeque is highly overrated downtown - there is a place out east around Germantown that is MUCH better.  And there is a pan fried chicken place out east the will make you think of Grandma's house on Sunday afternoon when you were a kid.  (Saz's in Milwaukee is better,for that matter...)

If you are in Memphis for the music, then fine, but pretty much anything else, there is better elsewhere.

We have a big assortment of attractions that would make a VERY good, week long excursion sightseeing trip - just no real 'anchor' to act as main attraction.  (See the list I posted previously - that is partial.)  And we even got that big gold ...... symbol down at 81st & Lewis as a point of interest.  Never ceases to amaze me how people coming to town will ask about it and want to drive by.  An ORU attraction.

Plus, there are always the turnpikes.... single biggest pisser-offer of out of state people I talk to about coming here.  But hey, we get "other" people to pay for our roads.  Talk about an entitlement attitude... we don't even want to invest in the single most important infrastructure item for travel in this country - we want others to pay for it for us.  (Is the disdain palpable in the air...it should be.)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2012, 04:16:26 pm »

We'll put it alongside US169 in Owasso, but it will need a change or two and the addition of some blindingly bright lights:

It's just an idea, of course.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2012, 01:47:15 pm »

Beale St Memphis has gotta be one of the most overrated "attractions" I have ever been to.  They even have a "building" that is only the facade - being propped up by steel supports.  Barbeque is highly overrated downtown - there is a place out east around Germantown that is MUCH better.  And there is a pan fried chicken place out east the will make you think of Grandma's house on Sunday afternoon when you were a kid.  (Saz's in Milwaukee is better,for that matter...)

If you are in Memphis for the music, then fine, but pretty much anything else, there is better elsewhere.

Memphis is one place that I can honestly say I did not enjoy visiting, we actually left the city early....
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2012, 12:05:47 am »

Memphis is one place that I can honestly say I did not enjoy visiting, we actually left the city early....

Go east of town to Germantown area.  Nice.  Just not much to do beyond eat some good food.

Memphis had a wonderful relic that was an honest to God tourist attraction draw - the Memphis Belle.  They let it sit outside.  Did NOTHING in the way of maintenance or upkeep - let the thing sit there and rot!!  Finally, the Air Force museum got the wreck and is in process of restoration even as we type.  They will appreciate it and give it a good home.

What can you do to help a place that won't even lift a finger to help itself??

And you don't EVEN want to hear about some of the infrastructure issues with their public school buildings....

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 12:10:27 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2013, 07:12:06 am »

will... not... die...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Investors_on_giant_Indian_monument_The_American_set/20130414_82_A17_CUTLIN52017
Investors on giant Indian monument 'The American' set to make pitch to Sand Springs City Council
SAND SPRINGS - Representatives for "The American," a 21-story bronze monument pitched off and on for nearly a decade, are preparing to speak with the City Council next month about a possible partnership that could make the project a go.

City Manager Rocky Rogers said that they will have an executive session on May 20 in which the monument group will likely be requesting incentives the city could offer to help secure the project.

The project will have infrastructure needs in terms of sewer, water and roadways.

If the council decides to vote on the issue, they will have to do so in open session, Rogers said.

City Attorney David Weatherford said that the closed session is permitted by law when discussing economic development issues.

The site would be on private land owned by the Sand Springs Home a couple of miles north of the city but in Osage County.

Sand Springs Home Trustee Ron Weese said that the Home is willing to sell the rural property to the monument group and that the monument would be visible from downtown Sand Springs.

"They've got to make their decision that they're going to do it," Weese said.

No one connected to the project is willing to pinpoint the exact spot where the looming structure would be erected.

"It's just confidential until they come up with a deal," Weese said.

Investors were encouraged in November when voters approved an increase to the hotel/motel tax by a little more than 62 percent.

The increased tax is estimated to generate about $90,000 a year for tourism and economic development, including the promotion of the monumental attraction.

"That was a vindication," said Osage Indian sculptor Shan Gray, creator of the monument.

Gray said that he has been working on 8-foot clay models in an effort to determine the final dimensions and hopes to have it complete by May 20 for the council's viewing.

Chris Bolding of Edmond represents the investors and will likely be the speaker, Gray said.

"We're getting much closer now. There's just so many things I'm not allowed to say," Gray said. "It'll certainly be worthy of where it is going. If it's not perfect, it's not going up."

Gray said many of the investors are still on board even after the recession because they believe in the project.

At 217 feet, The American would be taller than the Statue of Liberty in New York.

The monument depicts an American Indian warrior with a bald eagle landing on his forearm. The wingspan of the eagle would be 103 feet, nearly half the height of the structure.

An elevator would carry visitors to a gallery two-thirds of the way up the monument. An observation deck would be located in the forehead of the statue.

It has been estimated that the attraction would attract between 1.5 million to 2.2 million visitors a year.

Holmes Peak, about seven miles northwest of downtown Tulsa, was the original site proposed for the statue when it was announced in 2004, but four years later backers announced that the project would be moved to a 300-acre site 3 1/2 miles away.

Officials will not confirm if the latter site is the one currently being referenced.

Gray's previous work includes larger-than-life bronzes of three Miss Americas from Oklahoma - Jane Jayroe, Susan Powell and Shawntel Smith. He also sculpted University of Oklahoma Heisman trophy winner Billy Vessels and Oklahoma actor James Garner.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2013, 12:17:32 pm »

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2013, 05:53:07 am »

More statue PR spam "news"

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Plan_for_21_story_Sand_Springs_monument_moving_along/20130528_11_A1_SANDSP633774#comments

Plan for 21-story Sand Springs monument moving along

SAND SPRINGS - Talks on a proposal for the city to partner with developers of a 21-story bronze monument known as "The American" have been behind closed doors, but the City Council appears to be on board.

City Manager Rocky Rogers said the council recently met with sculptor Shan Gray, a structural engineering firm and investors. They have asked staff to work on cost estimates for some of the infrastructure needed for the mammoth attraction, including water lines, sewer service and roadways.

"The council is much more at ease as far as the project goes and is willing to proceed forward with a future investment in the project," Rogers said.

The City Council could vote on the issue as soon as June 10.

Mayor Mike Burdge said councilors are looking at how the infrastructure could be funded, which would not only benefit the monument attraction but also be in place for any other development that it might attract.

"The council is paying attention to the expenses. We're committed mostly to getting the infrastructure there for them," Burdge said.

Investors were encouraged in November when voters approved an increase to the hotel/motel tax by a little more than 62 percent.

The increased tax will generate an estimated $90,000 a year for tourism and economic development, including the promotion of the monumental attraction.

Councilman James Rankin said he definitely supports the project. It would be a "game changer" for Sand Springs, he said.

"They certainly have asked us to contribute infrastructure to it. I think that is a doable thing," Rankin said. "From our conversation we had previously, they just have to lock down their specific location."

The site would be on private land owned by the Sand Springs Home, a residential care facility a couple miles north of the city but in Osage County. The property would possibly be annexed into the city limits.

Rogers said the facility, which owns thousands of acres, plans to donate a small portion of land to start and sell the remaining land that will be needed.

"They haven't picked an exact (site) yet. That's what we're working on," Rogers said.

The city of Tulsa was initially approached about the project nearly 10 years ago. Holmes Peak, about seven miles northwest of downtown Tulsa, was the original site proposed for the statue in 2004.

Four years later backers announced that the project would be moved to a 300-acre site 3 1/2 miles away. Then came the economic recession, and the project lost momentum.

The artist said he now feels that they are in the final stretch of making the project happen.

"We are very excited and making progress as we speak," Gray said.

Gray said the land is wooded and a fly-over will help determine the best spot for the statue.

"It's fairly pristine wilderness. There's not much development at all," he said.

Gray, in conjunction with consulting engineers, is working to complete an 8-foot model of the monument.

"It's been an interesting journey, but I'm anxious for people to see the final version," he said.

The statue will house an elevator and 4-foot-wide stairwells and will be engineered to withstand 200 mph straight winds, which Gray said is about double the strength of commercial buildings.

At 217 feet, The American would be taller than the Statue of Liberty in New York.

It depicts an American Indian warrior with a bald eagle landing on his forearm. The wingspan of the eagle would be 103 feet, nearly half the height of the structure.

An elevator would carry visitors to a gallery two-thirds of the way up the monument. An observation deck would be located in the forehead of the statue.

It has been estimated that the attraction would attract between 1.5 million to 2.2 million visitors a year.

Councilman Brian Jackson said that the Gateway Arch in St. Louis was a big idea and so is The American.

"Our community is known for big ideas, starting with our founder Charles Page, and this just continues that legacy," he said.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2013, 08:17:06 am »

It's been 10 years and he still hasn't finished that 8 foot model.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2013, 08:38:04 am »

"It's fairly pristine wilderness. There's not much development at all," he said.

And likely to stay that way
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2013, 10:10:26 am »

"game changer" there's an over-used term.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2013, 11:27:15 am »

The location is slowly moving West.

Give it another 30 years and it'll finally go up in OKC.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2013, 12:10:29 pm »

It's been 10 years and he still hasn't finished that 8 foot model.

March 2004, Tulsa and Oklahoma City are competing for the statue that is almost paid for and will be done by 2007!
http://www.altustimes.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Artist+wants+17-story+statue%20&id=1276384

April 2004, Tulsa beats out Oklahoma City for the American!
http://oudaily.com/news/2004/apr/15/thank-you-giant-indian-statue/

December 2004, Gray is working on a 4’ model
http://newsok.com/funds-grow-for-giant-statue-br-tulsas-donations-starting-to-outrun-oklahoma-citys-for-a-17-story-tall-indian./article/2877898/?page=2

July 2009, Gray is almost done with a 6’ model
http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A27438

March 2010, Gray is on working on a now 8.5’ model
http://distinctlyoklahoma.com/art/artist-shan-gray/

November 2012, working on 8’ models, the model  shrank, but now there’s MORE THAN ONE!
http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Sand_Springs_voters_may_give_boost_to_21_story_American/20121101_82_a13_cutlin817895

May 2013, A single 8’ model is STILL being worked on, but somewhere it lost its other 8’ friends. No word on the 4’, 6’ or 8.5’ versions either.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Plan_for_21_story_Sand_Springs_monument_moving_along/20130528_11_A1_SANDSP633774#comments
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2013, 12:29:27 pm »

May 2013, A single 8’ model is STILL being worked on, but somewhere it lost its other 8’ friends. No word on the 4’, 6’ or 8.5’ versions either.

Alien abductions, I suppose.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2013, 02:22:09 pm »

Alien abductions, I suppose.

via Imgflip Meme Maker

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org