A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:20:55 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NBA Supersonics to OKC; Storm to TULSA!  (Read 4262 times)
Laramie
City Father

« on: May 25, 2007, 11:04:11 am »

If NBA Supersonics move to OKC; WNBA Storm to TULSA!

Text What are your thoughts?

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 12:41:08 pm »

I think it’s becoming painfully and sadly obvious that Clay Bennett has no intention of placing the Sonics in Oklahoma City. He’s fighting hard to get into a larger market.

I really feel bad at this point for Oklahoma City, they have been used.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 04:33:23 pm »

From Wikipedia.org:

On May 22, 2007, Bennett says in a Kansas City Star article that he is tired of "Seattle’s inability to come up with a plan for a new arena." He said he is intrested in moving the team to Kansas City because the Sprint Center a 276 Million dollar facility would generate more revenue than Oklahoma City which has a 90 million dollar facility. Leiweke talks about Bennett's comments, “You have a commissioner who is on the record supporting a move,” Leiweke said. “I believe that team is in play for Kansas City, and I believe Clay is going to keep the ownership."

---Robert
USRufnex
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 12:18:57 pm »

I think it's just as likely that Clay Bennett is playing... to extract more concessions from OKC's biggest sports fan, Mayor Mick Cornett....

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/117995.html

Tim Leiweke, president of Anschutz Entertainment Group, which will manage the new downtown Sprint Center, said he was encouraged by comments made by Super Sonics chairman Clay Bennett in Monday’s editions of The Kansas City Star that he plans to consider the Kansas City market if his club moves from Seattle.

“We’re talking to Clay, I’ll leave it at that,” Leiweke said after addressing the International Economic Development Council’s conference Tuesday at the Westin Crown Center.

“But let’s be honest, here. If that franchise does move, the odds-on favorite is Oklahoma City. That said, Kansas City is in that mix.”

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 12:52:24 pm »

I've always wondered way KC doesnt have an NBA team.

I'm afraid I agree with the notion that OKC is being played.  I hope they get a team and that everything else goes their way... what's good down the turnpike is usually good for Tulsa.  But I just don't think it will be the case.

The $$$, the number of potential fans, the destination, the facilities, and the proven sports market all say KC wins.  The only draw for OKC is that an NBA team did well there on a part time basis before - probably not enough.  

and the WNBA to Tulsa would be nice if other people would support them.  I honestly will probably not see more than a couple games.  Just not a women's basketball fan.  Sorry.  Heck, not really an NBA fan anymore for that matter.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
USRufnex
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 11:38:44 pm »

quote:
The $$$, the number of potential fans, the destination, the facilities, and the proven sports market all say KC wins. The only draw for OKC is that an NBA team did well there on a part time basis before - probably not enough.

Gonna hafta completely disagree on that one.
OKC's Clay Bennett may play a nice little bluff, but everybody should know he'd be more interested in OKC..... here's a quote from Bennett in 2005, before he bought the Sonics...

"We know this is New Orleans' team. We hope and expect they can go back. At the same time, we've answered the call and proven ourselves," says Clay Bennett, president of private investment firm Dorchester Capital, who is himself one of the guarantors of the Hornets' deal.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11329765/

Kansas City
http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/2006/0213/sports_overextend/5.html

Oklahoma City
http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/2006/0213/sports_expansion/6.html
deinstein
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 04:24:55 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

I've always wondered way KC doesnt have an NBA team.

They used to be the Kings.

I'm assuming they don't have a team because it's the most over-saturated market for cities with two or more professional teams.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org