A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:15:25 pm
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1957 Plymouth dig up  (Read 109845 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #360 on: June 22, 2007, 02:20:40 pm »

The newspaper stories and articles that the Tulsa World re-published from 1957, did mention micro-film and article said something to the effect of they were taking names/guesses and going down to have them put on micro-film. They mentioned the cut-off date for the names & guess so they can be sure to get everyone's name on micro-film. They stoped taking names/guesses a few days before the car was buried. I'm not sure on the exact date cut-off because I don't have that article with me now. For 50 years there was talk aabout micro-film and now to not be able to find it is strange. They would of put the micro-film in a place where they would know the people of 2007 would be able to find it easy, they would not hide it. I do recall an article that said a "blob" was found in the glove box that they think was the contents of a Ladies 1957 hand purse, part of that "blob" may have been the micro-film.. This is strange. Nothing like a good mystery to kept the Tulsarama excitement going.[}:)]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #361 on: June 22, 2007, 02:27:50 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

In retrospect, I think a microfilm of the contest entries was just rumor or urban legend, and never existed.  I find it very hard to believe that if a microfilm was produced, that it was not put in the sealed time capsule along with the other items that survived quite nicely.

The way I understand it, Tulsa's buried Plymouth was a publicity stunt, dreamed up by Chrysler PR men and Tulsa Chrysler dealers, and not part of the official city-sanctioned semicentennial activities.  Entry into the contest had to be by mail-in postcard or by some sign-up sheets provided at some local businesses.  I initially thought that many original entries may have been lost, but what they found in the time capsule may very well be the only contest entries.  In any case, it is the best we have to go on today.

That's right and one of main businesses to take the forms was some bank or credit union/savings or loan place. The name escapes me now. Not too many places were taking the forms. I'm not sure about the mail-in post cards. They did have a cut-off time though according to the article in the Tulsa World.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #362 on: June 22, 2007, 03:03:44 pm »

For the relatively small crowd that they say was at the entombment, there might not have been as much wide-spread interest in the car 50 years ago as there is now.

If that person is still alive I can hear it now:

"Wow! I finally won something! Yes!"

"Oh, uh that's my prize, y'all just keep it."

I bet a box of Krispy Kremes the car winds up in the posession of the historical society, either by not being able to find an heir or it's given back by a good-natured heir.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #363 on: June 22, 2007, 03:10:41 pm »

They also get the savings account.

I hope they would keep the money, donate the car.
Steve
« Reply #364 on: June 22, 2007, 03:37:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

For the relatively small crowd that they say was at the entombment, there might not have been as much wide-spread interest in the car 50 years ago as there is now.

That is my feeling too Conan71, I don't think that the general population of Tulsa in 1957 was really aware of the car contest/burial.  I think the 850 entries or so they recovered from the time capsule was probably the extent of the true contest entries.  Now if R.E. Humbertson or his heirs will come forward...I am still curious to see the published list of the entries to scan for long-forgotten names or the names of my parents.
Wilbur
« Reply #365 on: June 22, 2007, 04:36:27 pm »

KOTV-6 has a file you can download with all the entries submitted, complete with names, birth dates and guesses.

Some of the guesses are, I hope, rather ridiculous.  One 15-year old kid guessed 222 billion +.  A couple people guessed 1 billion +.  Did people really think one sixth of the world's population would be living in little ole Tulsa?
zescanner
« Reply #366 on: June 23, 2007, 10:02:19 am »

Say, can you tell me where on the KOTV site to find that list. Their website is filled with all sorts of links but nothing seems to make sense to me as far as finding that list.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #367 on: June 23, 2007, 10:20:44 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

From the wording of the thing, they go together you have to take the car to get the money. The rest of the stuff in the capsule will go to the historical people.. I also am looking for the list and cannot find it on the channel 6 site.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #368 on: June 23, 2007, 10:26:29 am »

As for the micro film, I would think if they found the paper names in the little time capsule, they  must of put the micro-film list in the car as a back up. They must have did it both ways for us, in case one failed we'd have another back-up... They would not hide the micro-film. The only thing I can see is that the micro-film was ruined in the water or desolved like that plastic sheet did and ladies handbag and other things left in the car. I don't believe the micro-film was a rumor for 50 years.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #369 on: June 23, 2007, 03:33:45 pm »

Raymond E. Humbertson of Virginia died in 1979, he had no children and his wife died in 1988. He has two elderly surviving sisters. The Tulsa World has an article about him that includes an interview with his nephew in today's edition.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070623_238_A1_spanc67588
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #370 on: June 23, 2007, 03:45:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

quote:

From the wording of the thing, they go together you have to take the car to get the money. The rest of the stuff in the capsule will go to the historical people.. I also am looking for the list and cannot find it on the channel 6 site.

Yeah, you take both and immediately donate the car. Doesn't say you have to put it in your driveway before you give it away.

The TulsaWorld online edition pictures are small but in the print version you can almost see me in the background of the wide picture.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #371 on: June 24, 2007, 12:37:27 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, you take both and immediately donate the car. Doesn't say you have to put it in your driveway before you give it away.

The TulsaWorld online edition pictures are small but in the print version you can almost see me in the background of the wide picture.

It might not be so easy to donate that car. With the current shape it's in many people may not want it. The cash winnings will be eaten up in storage fees and charges for towing the car. I don't know how the city of Tulsa will work out this thing with the winners. The winners live in another state. Maybe they can keep & store the car in Tulsa till they can find someone who wants the car. The dirt is always in the details. They would not want to spend more money than what they won.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #372 on: June 24, 2007, 01:44:54 pm »

Somebody just trades them a pickup truck and everything will be easy.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Steve
« Reply #373 on: June 24, 2007, 05:17:20 pm »

quote:

quote:

You can download the list in an Excel spreadsheet file from www.tulsaworld.com/buriedcar

Click on the "Miss Belvedere, you have a winner" article on the left side of the page.  When the article pops up, there is a link at the beginning to download the complete contest winner list.  It is an Excel spreadsheet with 4 sheet tabs giving info, statistics, etc.  It is also easy to resort the data in alphabetical order to scan the list for familiar names.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #374 on: June 25, 2007, 08:34:41 am »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

Somebody just trades them a pickup truck and everything will be easy.

The hard part is finding that "Somebody" to make the trade... BTW, I hear they may bury a Dodge Pick-up Truck in the new time capsule, or at least it was mentioned. That's not a bad idea the truck has a well-like design and is very popular. It should be quite a site to have it brand new in 2057[Smiley]

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org