A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:18:49 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Tulsa's Next Police Chief....  (Read 57719 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2007, 01:21:52 pm »

I think we should start a "Wilbur 4 Chief" petition.

Power is nothing till you use it.
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2007, 01:24:18 pm »

I'm just asking . . . but if she hired someone over the department, how is that different that Lafortune putting LaCroix (I think? some TFD) over both the Fire and Police departments?  Did that really have an impact on operations?  The mayor could hire her "chief" although I think it would have to be a commissioner or administrative officer or something that sits over the PD.  Then you still have your Chief within the department, subject to the civil service and really the hands on leader, while the middle man gets to run between the mayor and chief.  

I don't think she can eliminitate the chief position, which falls under civil service protection.  If she appoints someone it would be outside of that structure.  

Anyway, just my thought.  I just wish we would get someone in there that would go above and beyond to get the department back on track.  There are a lot of officers working their tushes off and all they hear is how much the mayor hates the police, and it's only getting worse.  Sad, when really their job is not even remotely political, simple, keep me and you safe.  

It's all very sad.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2007, 08:18:41 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tulsa_fan

I'm just asking . . . but if she hired someone over the department, how is that different that Lafortune putting LaCroix (I think? some TFD) over both the Fire and Police departments?  Did that really have an impact on operations?  The mayor could hire her "chief" although I think it would have to be a commissioner or administrative officer or something that sits over the PD.  Then you still have your Chief within the department, subject to the civil service and really the hands on leader, while the middle man gets to run between the mayor and chief.  

I don't think she can eliminitate the chief position, which falls under civil service protection.  If she appoints someone it would be outside of that structure.  

Anyway, just my thought.  I just wish we would get someone in there that would go above and beyond to get the department back on track.  There are a lot of officers working their tushes off and all they hear is how much the mayor hates the police, and it's only getting worse.  Sad, when really their job is not even remotely political, simple, keep me and you safe.  

It's all very sad.

We used to have a police commissioner position in Tulsa.  If memory serves me correct, that was eliminated when we revised the charter and went with the city council form of gov't.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2007, 09:21:48 am »

I think it's a stroke of genius for the mayor to surround herself with at will positioning.

This process makes her totally accountable. While it may run contrary to civil service codes, the "kitchen cabinet" format will return the city to a "well oiled machine" process. The current "who's looking over my shoulder too paranoid to act" situation just does not work on the local level. Cronyism has been proven to work in major cities. We all know what a flop it is on the national level if the appointer is not very smart. I think our mayor is savy.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2007, 09:43:18 am »

All puppets sound smart......

aoxamaxoa
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2007, 09:58:14 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Breadburner

WOW. Really? Like Gone-zales? Brownie?
 Turd Blossom?

Again, on the local level, the town would run more efficiently with a strong mayor. We have only the past ( years prior to the fear created council form of government ) and the present ( just look at our streets and crime ) to draw a reasonable conclusion there should be new replacements at the will of the mayor unencumbered by civil service requirements.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2007, 10:10:40 am »

AOX,

I'm just curious how great this would sound to your partisan self if it were Bill Lessfortunate who had done this.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2007, 10:16:47 am »

CF,

Good point. Go back and read what I said about our president. Kennedy hired the best and the brightest.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2007, 01:21:54 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by aoxamaxoa

quote:

WOW. Really? Like Gone-zales? Brownie?
 Turd Blossom?

Again, on the local level, the town would run more efficiently with a strong mayor. We have only the past ( years prior to the fear created council form of government ) and the present ( just look at our streets and crime ) to draw a reasonable conclusion there should be new replacements at the will of the mayor unencumbered by civil service requirements.

No...Like The Mayor...Like for real....

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2007, 01:22:43 pm »

quote:

CF,

Good point. Go back and read what I said about our president. Kennedy hired the best and the brightest.

He hired is brother......

aoxamaxoa
« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

quote:

quote:

CF,

what I said....
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2007, 02:32:54 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

CF,

what I said....

Where is he now......

aoxamaxoa
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2007, 02:42:31 pm »

^Same place he was in 68. You were there?

Look....the Mayor needs to gain total control of the city. If she appoints at will a new chief, then come the next election you can vote against her if you think that decision was in error.

In the meantime, I like that there are fewer gun shows. And I think if you give her a chance, you will see that her leadership reflects a better vision for Tulsa than the red neck way....

shadows
City Father

« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2007, 10:15:45 pm »

The mayor under the amended charter is to furnish a police department.  The trial judge ruled that he could not see where this would have any effect on the department by this amendment.  17 years later and the citizens are beating their gums that the strong mayor, as defined under the charter does not retain such authority.   The conflict seems to be between civil service and the promotion through the ranks but leaves out the strong mayor authority under the amendment.  It was not overlooked forehand but seems to have been well planned by the system.

Don’t fail to be excited when the mayor, under her own private advicer, fulfills the job with her selection.

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Kiah
Philanthropist

« Reply #149 on: August 29, 2007, 09:09:54 am »

"Mayor Kathy Taylor will announce and introduce the selection of a police chief for the City of Tulsa.

The 3:30 p.m. press briefing will take place in Room 1101 of City Hall."

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org