A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:16:36 pm
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Tulsa's Next Police Chief....  (Read 57734 times)
Rico
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2007, 03:45:42 pm »

Hey,..... either one of those guys will do just fine as long as they are ready for the hood... and  the friends they travel with.......

[}:)]
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2007, 04:13:35 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kiah

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Like I said, face down in the velcro...

Like I said, misogeny.

More like homophobia. Could you at least spell it right?

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Wilbur
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2007, 07:30:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

Why would someone want to leave Union protection and work at-will? I cannot think of any reason at all.  Why did the Bushiites oppose unionization of the DHS employees?  Getting someone fared is nearly impossible, which means it is nearly impossible to get fired.  All you have to do is hold on and in a few decades a copper parachute, that is why.

It has absolutely nothing to do with union protection.  The police chief is not covered by the union contract (per the contract) and many city employees are not members of a union.

It has to do with civil service protection.  Only being fired for cause, not because you got sideways with a politician.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2007, 06:17:14 am »

Either the Chief would serve at the Mayor's leisure or not, is it not the same thing then ultimately if the 'not' is because of some labor agreement or other?
Wilbur
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2007, 06:53:32 am »

quote:

Either the Chief would serve at the Mayor's leisure or not, is it not the same thing then ultimately if the 'not' is because of some labor agreement or other?

Again, I think you are confusing union contract (labor agreement) with civil service.  They are two totally different issues.

Civil Service is covered by the City Charter (Article X), not by any labor group's contract.  Law creates civil service, not a union contract.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2007, 07:50:48 am »

Needless to say, you are right on the confusion.  From the outside though the effect appears the same.  What other City departments are allowed to vote on their managers? Is that part of the FOP agreement or is that via the charter?
Wilbur
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2007, 09:01:00 am »

quote:

Needless to say, you are right on the confusion.  From the outside though the effect appears the same.  What other City departments are allowed to vote on their managers? Is that part of the FOP agreement or is that via the charter?

The Mayor is throwing out BS saying the FOP is trying to hire the next police chief.  I'm not even sure where that comes from, other then the fact three internal candidates believe the City Charter requires the chief to be hired from within when three internal candidates are certified.  We'll let the courts decide that.

Besides the FOP quoting the Charter and filing a grievance in reference to the three internal candidates, that is the extent of the FOP being involved in the hiring process (and would be required of any union to get involved, otherwise the union could be sued for 'failing to represent').

I have never known any mayor to allow the FOP to be involved in the hiring process.  I've never known of the FOP sending out applications, interviewing any candidates, taking a vote of the membership, or making any recommendation to the mayor as to who should be hired.

In my many years here, all past mayors have made the police chief hiring process very open, even to the extent of having citizen groups interview candidates and make recommendations.  That is, until the current mayor, who has made the entire process extremely secretive and not open to anyone .  As I've said before, where is the Tulsa World screaming 'OPEN RECORD' when it comes to the current hiring process.  Their silence speaks volumes.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2007, 09:04:18 am »

That IS weird.  The impression is that the FOP is driving the process.  Kind of ironic that a Dem is screwing up relations with her most important Union on the eve of Labor Day.
blindnil
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2007, 09:21:22 am »

You've got to remember, the Tulsa World broke this story about the job offer to wells, so I think THAT speaks volumes. Besides, the mayor has been using private money to search for the new chief, thus thwarting open records laws.
Wilbur
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2007, 11:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by blindnil

You've got to remember, the Tulsa World broke this story about the job offer to wells, so I think THAT speaks volumes. Besides, the mayor has been using private money to search for the new chief, thus thwarting open records laws.

Actually, I think any good attorney would jump all over the 'thwarting open records laws', to quote you, and use that as their argument.  I don't believe government can 'thwart' open record just by claiming a private group is funding a certain item that ultimately leads to the same end for the government entity.  I firmly believe any court would see right through that and slap the hand of government.  Otherwise, where would open record start and stop?  Could you hide anything in government simply because you found a private group to fund your doings?  I don't think so.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2007, 11:16:22 am »

Where do I sign for the impeachment.....

Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2007, 06:27:49 pm »

If violating the charter isn't grounds for recall I don't know what is.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2007, 09:49:00 am »

The mayor needs to consider this is "our" police chief.  Not "hers".

I heard an interesting account this weekend of the mayor's meeting with Bill Wells.  She is not a nice person.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
tim huntzinger
« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2007, 10:01:15 am »

That would be a rumour.  What is not a rumor is that which is in the NTOA 'Interim Report' which states flatly that Congressman Sullivan's COS was in the Mayor's office strategizing what to do with Chief Been.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2007, 01:09:08 pm »

Funny thing....All the comments have disappeared from the article.....

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org