A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:34:56 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Lookout Mountain Estates"  (Read 13739 times)
Rico
« on: May 03, 2007, 08:11:05 pm »

This article, along with the news of Google in Pryor, strikes me as extremely good news..![8D]

Housing is being built in locations that have not seen activity in years. "many years"

I know there must be someone that happened to be at the TMAPC hearing yesterday that can shed a little more light on this......

Lookout Mountain Estates, from the southeast corner of West 31st Street and 37th West Avenue, is 57 lots six blocks on nearly 144 acres.

It is the first large housing development in Southwest Tulsa for decades.
A preliminary plat was presented to the Tulsa Metropolitan Area Planning Commission at 1:30 p. m. May 2.
The developer is American West Enterprises of Sacramento, Calif. They are using DeShazo, Tang & Associates, Inc. engineers and planners in Tulsa. The Tulsa firm asks for three waivers of the Subdivision Regulations.
The firm said the two-acre lots will be too steep for sidewalks, that the cul-de-sacs need to be longer than required due to the terrain, and that a 1500-foot road running east and west adjacent to the KTUL property cannot have a required cul-de-sac due to the terrain.
The firm said they met with the Tulsa County engineer on the waivers.
A call to American West Enterprises was not returned Friday.
Meanwhile, at the Southwest Tulsa Education Initiative meeting Thursday at Robertson Elementary, Park principal Jennifer Gripado was excited by the prospect of more houses. Her school is expected to have 180 pupils next year, which would make it the second smallest in Tulsa Public Schools.
The initiative voted to write letters of support for Lookout Mountain Estates.
In notes from the Technical Advisory Committee Meeting, it said "additional easement may be required to accommodate the required sanitary sewer mainline extension."
On water, the notes said "area can be served by a City of Tulsa primary system.

rwarn17588
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 10:26:12 pm »

Here comes gentrification to Red Fork.
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 07:41:11 am »

I believe that yesterday's meeting was just for a site-plan review--there was no change of zoning.  Since it's zoned agriculture, that means these will be pretty large lots--over an acre.  The subdivision regulations that the paper refers to controls how the streets are built, and requires sidewalks.  Because of the terrain, the developer was asking to be excused from some of the requirements.  Even though the TMAPC usually is very reluctant to waive sidewalk requirements, they did this time, and they waived the other requirements that the developer requested.  A few neighbors showed up to speak.  None were opposed to the development, but they had questions and concerns.  Its always helpful when a developer meets with neighborhoods first, to answer questions and help eliminate concerns.  It can save a lot of headache down the road.

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:50:06 am »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

Here comes gentrification to Red Fork.

Who's it gonna displace?
rwarn17588
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 06:26:54 pm »

No one, right away.

But Lookout Mountain Estates will inevitably exert an influence on nearby property. You can bet in the next five years or sooner that old homes north of 41st Street will be sold, bulldozed and bigger, snazzier homes built.

It's a bittersweet feeling right now. I'm sure all this new development will help Red Fork and the local schools (and maybe we'll finally get a grocery in Crystal City in the bargain). But I like Red Fork and its working-class vibe. I don't want that to be destroyed, and I don't want home values to skyrocket so much that I can't afford to live here anymore.

mr.jaynes
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 11:09:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

It's a bittersweet feeling right now. I'm sure all this new development will help Red Fork and the local schools (and maybe we'll finally get a grocery in Crystal City in the bargain). But I like Red Fork and its working-class vibe. I don't want that to be destroyed, and I don't want home values to skyrocket so much that I can't afford to live here anymore.

Red Fork, I salute you-you're my kinda people. I too liked the vibe that Red Fork gave out.
In_Tulsa
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 07:48:44 am »

I love the vibe too ROLL UP THE WINDOWS KIDS and LETS GET THE HELL OUT FAST.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 07:53:28 am »

quote:
Originally posted by In_Tulsa

Forum decorum prevents me from responding to this in a way I'd really like to.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 08:32:36 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaMINI

quote:

Forum decorum prevents me from responding to this in a way I'd really like to.

Just give it a try, I think there is an automatic editor which would bleep anything too inflamatory.  [Wink]

Personally, I've seen a lot more pride put into properties in Red Fork than there was 20 years ago.  I'd love to see investment in Crystal City.  If a development like this would help, then it's not a bad thing.

I don't really see any detriment to the surrounding community unless this Lookout Mountain development is crappy new construction similar to some of the development they built off 61st between Union and 33rd W. back in the '80's.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
In_Tulsa
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 09:54:07 am »

Don't get mad but HOW can you not say that area is a big DUMP it has run down houses no shoping lots of crime lots of white trash people it has nothing going for it but rats and by the look of things alot of rats. And you can't forget all the broke down cars in the street.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 10:12:15 am »

quote:

Don't get mad but HOW can you not say that area is a big DUMP it has run down houses no shoping lots of crime lots of white trash people it has nothing going for it but rats and by the look of things alot of rats. And you can't forget all the broke down cars in the street.

Are you and Inteller twins?

Garden City a dump, yes.  Red Fork, a little rough around the edges.  But it has really turned around in the last 20 years.  It's not all white trash and crime.  It's not perfect, but for the most part, there are a lot of hard-working and honest people who live in the area.

If I were worried about crime vs. living arrangements, I'd live in Red Fork before I'd live at 21st & Garnett or 36th St. N. & Cincinnatti, or even Pine & Harvard.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rwarn17588
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 11:02:08 am »

In_Tulsa wrote:

lots of crime lots of white trash people it has nothing going for it but rats blah blah blah

[and other poorly punctuated and misspelled rants that resemble the white trash that he/she so despises]

<end clip>

The crime rate is actually very low in Red Fork. It had its first homicide in over a year on New Year's Day, and that was a domestic.

One homicide a year? You'd be hard-pressed to find any south Tulsa areas that have that few.

Another reason crime is low: a lot of people have dogs. Not too many burglars are going to try anything when you have a barking canine around.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 11:07:48 am »

Obviously an image vs. reality thing from someone who drives past on I-244 every few months.

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 11:45:30 am »

rwarn -- have you ever seen a rat anywhere in the area? I haven't. We have lived in our house for over ten years and have never had so much as a mouse!

In_Tulsa -- as for white trash people, if you want to think that, fine. And since whatever I say wouldn't change your opinion, this poor white trash beotch from the westside says FOAD.

And now this piece of PWTFTW, will return to her work at her salaried, professional position with a major Tulsa employer. Thank you.
rwarn17588
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 11:52:07 am »

Nope, never seen a rat, or even a mouse.

I do see critters from time to time, like rabbits, a raccoon or two, a coyote once in a while and even a fox once. But I attribute that to wildlife living on Lookout Mountain and the surrounding hills, not vermin.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org