A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:56:37 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Camelot Conundrum  (Read 20630 times)
CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2007, 03:42:35 pm »

CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2007, 03:59:38 pm »

The broken windows remind me of an oversized advent calendar.  Or a game of Punch-a-Bunch

deinstein
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2007, 04:16:22 pm »

Our best bet is for some nutjob to just burn the place down at this point.
dsjeffries
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2007, 01:02:05 pm »

This just in:
quote:
From the Tulsa World:
Taylor announces plan to tear down Camelot Hotel

By Staff reports
4/10/2007  1:22 PM

The city is considering a plan to finance the destrution of the dilapidated Camelot Hotel, Mayor Kathy Taylor announced Tuesday.

The Tulsa Industrial Authority is set to vote Wednesday on a loan agreement with building owner, Marharishi Ayur-Ved.

A landmark in the 1960s and 1970s, the hotel became famous for hosting Elvis Presley and Richard Nixon when they made trips through Tulsa.

It was built in the 1960s to resemble a medieval castle, complete with a moat, drawbridge and turrets. The hotel became a popular spot for banquets and galas, honeymoons and special occasions.
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2007, 02:16:03 pm »

Wondered about all of the news vans out there.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2007, 02:41:38 pm »

Also here:
http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6325
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2007, 10:57:57 am »

It's unfortunate that it could not be renovated.....I think that would be the highest and best use for the future considering whats going on and going to be done in the future.....If the ownner would get real on the price it's a possibilty.....

TulsaSooner
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2007, 12:46:51 pm »

Anyone know of any websites out there dedicated to the history of the Camelot hotel?
tim huntzinger
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2007, 01:30:20 pm »

The feller at 'lost tulsa' did a camelot shoot for flickr.
ashfromtulsa
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2007, 09:16:46 pm »

Did anyone else hear the rumor that the a friend of the mayor's wants to build a shopping center on that spot?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2007, 03:03:26 am »

What's wrong about putting a shopping center there?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2007, 08:04:51 am »

I'm sure the neighbors would like a shopping center over a giant obscenely lit convenience store or a vermon infested building
flybriz
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2007, 08:26:14 am »

I live at 50th and Quincy, and I definitely would prefer a shopping center over a convenience store or the current sad state of the Camelot...  However, the Bellaire shopping center just across the street seems to be a bit empty, plus the dollar store and Hancock Fabrics are both closing so it will be even more bare soon.  Seems like a shopping center would do little good if they're having so much trouble filling the existing one up with tenants.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2007, 08:52:45 am »

quote:
Originally posted by flybriz

I live at 50th and Quincy, and I definitely would prefer a shopping center over a convenience store or the current sad state of the Camelot...  However, the Bellaire shopping center just across the street seems to be a bit empty, plus the dollar store and Hancock Fabrics are both closing so it will be even more bare soon.  Seems like a shopping center would do little good if they're having so much trouble filling the existing one up with tenants.

Well, the whole retail area there has gotten rather blighted, and I place about 80% of the blame on the condition of the Camelot.  I imagine that if the Camelot came down and a new center were put in it's place, it would help bring the entire area back up.  It's hard to imagine opening a new store in the bellaire center when there is an eyesore across the street.

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2007, 11:13:57 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tulsa1603

quote:
Originally posted by flybriz

Well, the whole retail area there has gotten rather blighted, and I place about 80% of the blame on the condition of the Camelot.  I imagine that if the Camelot came down and a new center were put in it's place, it would help bring the entire area back up.  It's hard to imagine opening a new store in the bellaire center when there is an eyesore across the street.

I agree the Camelot is a large source of the "ghettofication" of that intersection.  When everything closes down and turns into Cash Advance stores and Pawn Shops, with your occasional Rent to Own and Prepaid phone place, you know things have gone downhill a bit.

That being said, the entire Brookside area is not going to be able to thrive unless there is an injection of population density in the area.   Stores and businesses don't just magically fill themselves up.  They need a local population to fill them up.  So my point is that the Brookside area needs some infill, perhaps some mid-rise residential, if some of the struggling storefronts are to thrive and for some of the blight to be feasibly replaced.

I dunno about the Camelot property itself.  I think it would be a good retail space.  But further up in the 41st to 36th area there really needs to be some dense infill installed.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org