A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:18:07 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Urban" WalMart Supercenter.. In East Village....  (Read 30300 times)
Rico
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 10:11:50 am »

Haven't been able to catch the story myself..

My Wife watched a clip on Channel 8... According to their News.. Global has now acquired 50% of the land needed for their project...

Can you say "back room deals... with hands being greased.."

I thought you could..

[}:)]
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 11:05:02 am »

Good points USRUFNEX.

And as for sign carrying, I'm in on anything those two are in on.  I'm weak, I know.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 11:52:30 am »

50% would mean they have almost everything except nordam. Unless they got nordam to settle.

Speaking of back door deals, maybe the owasso guy wanting a walmart was just a ruse to raise property prices.

Competition, ya know?
USRufnex
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 02:44:28 pm »

Rico, thanks for the reminder that I need to change the wallpaper on my monitor again...

And thanks for clarifying...
I almost thought jdb was being racist/anti-immigrant...

Here in east Tulsa, an "anti-Bimbo rally" means something totally different...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grupo_Bimbo

"50% would mean they have almost everything except nordam"--sgrizzle

"But I'll take a well running Buick over a Mercedes lacking an engine any day of the week..."--USRufnex

nordam = engine.  [Wink]
Rico
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 03:25:20 pm »

Fortunately... "bimbo" is something that transcends both race and nationality....

^sgrizzle; had never considered Williams may be a ruse..

Oh you have a sinister mind... but that's a good thing.[}:)]
jdb
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 03:30:10 pm »

Thinking this post may flush the topic but:

Although not normally a racist or anti-new peoples (I save that for other forums) I do prefer the American link to Bimbo's.

http://www.bimbobakeriesusa.com/

An earlier comment about swapping places with the drillers and a walmart wasn't half bad. But start that subject and see how many people welcome it with open arms, eh?

However, in the I take exception dept., the use of "crime ridden" and the EE in the same sentence would be laughable except that it does affect public perception - that would be all three people that even know the area and that don't already know better.

Or something like that.
jdb

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2007, 05:05:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Rico

Fortunately... "bimbo" is something that transcends both race and nationality....

^sgrizzle; had never considered Williams may be a ruse..

Oh you have a sinister mind... but that's a good thing.[}:)]

Today's conspiracy, brought to you by sgrizzlecorp.
Rico
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2007, 05:59:58 pm »

It would seem Wal Mart is playing Tapps for suberbia....

http://www.tulsabusiness.com/article.asp?aID=45066
Rico
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2007, 06:08:48 pm »

^

In a completely unrelated story..... It would seem Downtown Tulsa will be keeping pace with suberbia.....

In a story in today's business section of "The World" a story entitled "Downtown deceptively Dead"

>clip

Anyone who has a fun, accessible idea can succeed in downtown, be there neighbors or not. And the first trailblazers there can set the tone for the rest of the area.

In fact, time may be running out for local trailblazers. Despite the seeming lack of activity, one big name may be poised to make a big splash downtown -- Wal-Mart.

Of course the retail giant won't release any information until contracts are finished, though we've already reported on strong rumors that an urban-designed Wal-Mart store is being planned for eastern downtown in an area previously a potential site for a baseball stadium.

<end clip

This seems to all be part of the new Wal Mart game plan.....

"No Square Block Left Behind"

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2007, 06:49:11 am »

quote:

^

In a completely unrelated story..... It would seem Downtown Tulsa will be keeping pace with suberbia.....

In a story in today's business section of "The World" a story entitled "Downtown deceptively Dead"

>clip

Anyone who has a fun, accessible idea can succeed in downtown, be there neighbors or not. And the first trailblazers there can set the tone for the rest of the area.

In fact, time may be running out for local trailblazers. Despite the seeming lack of activity, one big name may be poised to make a big splash downtown -- Wal-Mart.

Of course the retail giant won't release any information until contracts are finished, though we've already reported on strong rumors that an urban-designed Wal-Mart store is being planned for eastern downtown in an area previously a potential site for a baseball stadium.

<end clip

This seems to all be part of the new Wal Mart game plan.....

"No Square Block Left Behind"

since i can only see the e-tulsaworld (which is extra crap-tastic now with its bull**** menus and absence of a daily navigation) i may be mistaken, but is that an op/ed piece in the business section?

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2007, 07:11:02 am »

It is.
Rico
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2007, 07:43:44 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

It is.

I sincerely hope it is nothing other than an opinion.....!

[Sad]
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2007, 11:19:21 am »

One reason Wal-Mart can move into an area that local business can not is because Wal-Mart is an anchor retailer.  One that people come from a certain area to shop at.  Other retailers, restaurants, and businesses set up near anchors to leach some customers or at least have some eyeballs on their sign.

If a smaller operation were to open selling anything short of 5 dollar bills for $2.50, most people wouldn't even know it was there for a long, long while.

Again, I'd prefer a cluster of little shops in the existing buildings (where there are existing buildings), but I'll take the plain Jane girl over no girl at all.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
USRufnex
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2007, 10:29:30 pm »

quote:

[Sad]

hmmm... "And commercial real estate brokers have whispered that the deal is very, very likely to happen."

Seems odd that the TW would say this with Mitch Adwon as the lead Tulsa guy for Global Development Partners...

Let's see... DESCO from St Louis was going to redevelop all 115 acres of the East Village-- that fell through... then in Nov/Dec 2005 came the plans for 60 acres of the East Village, including a 20 acre plot for a soccer stadium, 40 acres for mixed use/residential by Global Development for a new MLS team that Global would have effectively been landlords of... then Jan. 2006, after Major League Soccer, Anschutz Entertainment Group and Phil Anschutz figured out that Global's purchase of DC United and stadium proposals didn't match their balance sheets; Global's DC United deal fell through and Tulsa's proposed soccer stadium became a ballpark... not sure if it was necessarily in Global's interest to do the ballpark...

Seems odd that the previous mayor seemed committed to try to make this work.... yet this mayor seems to keep a hands-off policy, admiring it from afar?...

Global's plans would require a TIF district... would WalMart's require one???

Favorite quote from TW...

"The time for sitting around and fretting is over. Developers and entrepreneurs who really want to change downtown need to act now. Otherwise, someone else will take the opportunity."
Rico
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2007, 10:54:55 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

quote:

[Sad]

hmmm... "And commercial real estate brokers have whispered that the deal is very, very likely to happen."

Seems odd that the TW would say this with Mitch Adwon as the lead Tulsa guy for Global Development Partners...

Let's see... DESCO from St Louis was going to redevelop all 115 acres of the East Village-- that fell through... then in Nov/Dec 2005 came the plans for 60 acres of the East Village, including a 20 acre plot for a soccer stadium, 40 acres for mixed use/residential by Global Development for a new MLS team that Global would have effectively been landlords of... then Jan. 2006, after Major League Soccer, Anschutz Entertainment Group and Phil Anschutz figured out that Global's purchase of DC United and stadium proposals didn't match their balance sheets; Global's DC United deal fell through and Tulsa's proposed soccer stadium became a ballpark... not sure if it was necessarily in Global's interest to do the ballpark...

Seems odd that the previous mayor seemed committed to try to make this work.... yet this mayor seems to keep a hands-off policy, admiring it from afar?...

Global's plans would require a TIF district... would WalMart's require one???

Favorite quote from TW...

"The time for sitting around and fretting is over. Developers and entrepreneurs who really want to change downtown need to act now. Otherwise, someone else will take the opportunity."

To tell the truth at this point I wouldn't care if it were to turn out to be a Rugby sp? field...

Just keep the Big Blue plague out of here..

I had the opportunity to meet Mrs. Siegfried prior to her husbands death.. If I thought it would not be in incredible poor taste I would ask for her help....

by the way you were not even close as to where I lived many moons ago.[}:)]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org