A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:11:35 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Childhood Memories of Tulsa 1960s-1970s  (Read 123225 times)
AMP
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2007, 12:24:59 am »

Perhaps it was an organ, I believe you are correct.  

Building is now the Olive Garden.  Back then it was two stories, but I believe Petty's offices are located where the the upstairs dining srea once was.

Seems the name changed from Bishops to Furrs or vice versa can't remember.
Steve
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2007, 12:43:40 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

Perhaps it was an organ, I believe you are correct.  

Not to nitpick, but I believe it was a Hammond M3 or M100 organ!  I am a Hammond owner and huge fan, so I tend to remember these things.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2007, 05:41:30 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

TM- were you in school w/ Tami Marlar?  We were same year, different schools.

Tami is a couple of years older than I am but we were in marching band together. She was our Band Queen!
mr.jaynes
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2007, 05:30:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Anyone else remember watching Hollywood studio cartoons (MGM, Warner Brothers, etc.) on Tulsa TV in the 1960s, on shows like the morning "Cartoon Circus" BEFORE these cartoons were edited for violence and political correctness?  

Since around 1970, all these old cartoons have been stripped of racial stereotype images and someone's idea of excessive violence.  Is it possible today to buy DVDs or tapes of the original, uneditted versions of these cartoons?

I particularily remember the Black and Asian stereotypes.  Elmer Fudd would be chasing Bugs Bunny and shoot his gun.  The screen would go black with smoke.  When the smoke cleared, there would be Bugs in blackface with exagerated lips and eyes, shouting "Mammy!" or singing "Swanee" with a banjo.  I also remember Asian stereotypes with slant-eyed characters in coolie hats, particularily from the Tweety Bird cartoons.  All of these types of scenes have been removed and what you see today is not the original version, but a sanitized "politically correct" version.  Some of the most artistic, clever, witty, fluid hand-drawn animation ever created was from the 40s & 50s, and unfortunately because of racial stereotypes, industry censorship, and today's over-sensitivity, can not be viewed in its original form today.

Man, I saw those in the 1970s when I was a kid, and I still think those old 'toons were in some cases better than even the new ones, and some of the toons produced today! I think what made them good, was the fact that the people who worked on them were true craftsmen and storytellers, people who loved their art.
AMP
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2007, 02:30:45 pm »

And they changed the "Buds" in a Cheech and Chong Movie to Diamonds?Huh

Steve
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2007, 06:06:17 pm »

Anyone else out there old enough to remember when most grocery stores and gas stations in Tulsa gave out trading stamps?  The major stamp companies I remember in the Tulsa area in the 1960s were S&H Green Stamps and Gold Bond Stamps.

Safeway and Humpty Dumpty Grocery gave out Sperry & Hutchinson Green Stamps.  I think local DX gas stations also gave Green Stamps.  3-4 full books would get you a brand new toaster!  15 books would get you a new vacuum cleaner!  I remember sitting at the kitchen table helping my grandma and mother paste green stamps into those books!  Once a month we would sit down and take out the stamps collected from an old coffee can, and paste them into the books.

The last S&H green stamp redemption store I remember in Tulsa was located around 41st & Yale, the the strip center on the northwest corner.
random
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2007, 08:19:58 pm »

quote:

Anyone else out there old enough to remember when most grocery stores and gas stations in Tulsa gave out trading stamps?  The major stamp companies I remember in the Tulsa area in the 1960s were S&H Green Stamps and Gold Bond Stamps.

Safeway and Humpty Dumpty Grocery gave out Sperry & Hutchinson Green Stamps.  I think local DX gas stations also gave Green Stamps.  3-4 full books would get you a brand new toaster!  15 books would get you a new vacuum cleaner!  I remember sitting at the kitchen table helping my grandma and mother paste green stamps into those books!  Once a month we would sit down and take out the stamps collected from an old coffee can, and paste them into the books.

The last S&H green stamp redemption store I remember in Tulsa was located around 41st & Yale, the the strip center on the northwest corner.

I think there was a green stamp store on 3rd ST. I also remember - Safeway gave away Gunn Brothers Stamps!
Steve
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2007, 08:31:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by random

quote:

I think there was a green stamp store on 3rd ST. I also remember - Safeway gave away Gunn Brothers Stamps!

Yes, at one time I am sure there were several Green Stamp redemption stores in Tulsa.  I vaguely remember Gunn Bros. stamps.  I think the most popular trading stamp in Tulsa by far, was S&H Green Stamps.

I remember those old trading stamp dispenser machines they had at the check out stalls in grocery stores.  Looked like big dial telephones with multiple concentric dials.  Whatever your total purchase $ was, they would dial in the price total, by $10's and $1's, and the machine would spit out your earned green stamps!  No one EVER spent over $100 at a grocery store back then, so I bet the old green stamp machines only stopped at $99.99!
RLitterell
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2007, 06:00:25 am »

quote:

I remember Gunn Bro's stamps too. My Mother saved both Green Stamps and Gunn Bro's. There was a redemption store for one of them, I don't remember which, at 21st and Utica across Utica from St Johns. Not living in Tulsa now I don't know what is there but I understand that the building was demo'ed and something else is there now.
I remember going to Safeway at Chrystal City Shopping Center with my parents on payday, at the checkout stand if the person ahead of us did not want their stamps my Mom would always ask if she could have them. It always seemed to tick off the cashier if that person said yes. I suppose now that the cashiers collected them as well and would pocket the ones refused by customers who did not collect them. I think half of everything we owned was earned with Gunn Bro's or Green Stamps.[Cheesy]
mr.jaynes
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2007, 12:27:34 pm »

OK, here's one: does anyone remember the Electronic Silvermint? Located on Memorial between 15th and 21st streets, on the west side of the road? Had a skateboard pit and a ramp or two, and an arcade inside? I loved skateboarding, and dare I say that I was a reigning champ at not only Galaga, but Centipede too.
RLitterell
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2007, 12:34:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mr.jaynes

OK, here's one: does anyone remember the Electronic Silvermint? Located on Memorial between 15th and 21st streets, on the west side of the road? Had a skateboard pit and a ramp or two, and an arcade inside? I loved skateboarding, and dare I say that I was a reigning champ at not only Galaga, but Centipede too.

I'm way too old.[:O]
mr.jaynes
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2007, 12:56:20 pm »

I even remmeber my nickname that I'd post after gaining the Highest score: REX after the King of Carnival. I remember it sounded cool to me, so I used it.
Steve
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2007, 02:46:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mr.jaynes

That skateboard park was built on or near the property where the old Pink Barn dance studio was, the dance studio that was so popular with Tulsa teens in the 1960s and early 1970s.

I think I have about 15 years+ on you, but I do remember that skateboard park on Memorial, although I was never there.  My first apartment in Tulsa was at 16th & Memorial on the west side.  I lived there 1976-1977 and I vividly recall a flood we had in 1976 and all the first floor apts. had 2 feet of water in them.  Fortunately, I lived on the second floor and I remember standing out on my balcony and watching some guys canoe by on the ground floor.

I grew up in the 1960s and remember the first skateboard craze.  We called it "sidewalk surfing" back then, I think we got the name from an old Beach Boys or Jan & Dean song of the same name.  I remember making my own skateboard with a piece of plywood and nailing on a pair of old-fashioned "clamp-on" type roller skates.  Darn, where did I put my skate key?!?
mr.jaynes
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2007, 03:29:34 pm »

And the video arcade was phenom! Being the undiputed champ of Galaga and Centipede gave me some extra respect in the eyes of my peers. Video arcades in general had it going on. There was the Nautilus (there was one at Woodland, and I think at Southroads also), the Silvermint, Games People Play, Cosmic Cowboy.
AMP
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2007, 09:17:22 pm »

Company that printed the S&H and other stamps was located in Sand Springs near where the Rib Crib is now.  It is no longer in business.  

The Safeway grocery store is also closed.  Recently metal thieves broke into that property and removed majority of the heavy copper wire from all the electrical facility inside.  

Building has been vacant for a few years, I believe Mervin's or some other Indy food store that was run by Buck Myers was the last in there.  From the appearance of the poor condition of many abandoned and empty commercial buildings, the economy in most parts of Tulsa other than Southside seems to be declining more and more with every pasing day.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org