A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:15:48 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Childhood Memories of Tulsa 1960s-1970s  (Read 123419 times)
RLitterell
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2007, 09:57:37 am »

I remember Guy Henshaw (sp?) auto parts, Burgess hardware in west Tulsa, Andy Anderson Supply also in West Tulsa, Dooley Drug, Reynolds Drug and Bundy's burgers in Carbondale just to name a few.
RLitterell
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2007, 11:34:03 am »

I had to log back in and post this one, Brewster Toys. I think they were on So. Harvard around 25th? anyone?  My folks bought me a blue peddle car there. My dad put it in the back seat of our Ford Crown Vic and I set in it's seat all the way home. I think I'm gonna cry
AMP
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2007, 10:47:47 pm »

Brewsters My Favorite Toy Store.  
Always got something from there for
my first 10 B days!  Remember walking
down the ramp to the rear of the building.  That place was magical....

How bout a photo of the 1972 NCRA races
held during the Tulsa State Fair at Tulsa Speedway #1..

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2007, 05:12:06 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RLitterell

I remember Guy Henshaw (sp?) auto parts, Burgess hardware in west Tulsa, Andy Anderson Supply also in West Tulsa, Dooley Drug, Reynolds Drug and Bundy's burgers in Carbondale just to name a few.

Dooley Pharmacy is still in business. And I remember when the Bundy Burger burned down. Sad.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2007, 05:18:51 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

Found this movie of the Ice Cream Truck days from Tulsa..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrsXYgy2ti8&mode=related&search=

Are we sure that video was in the 50s? It's weird...the little girl at 26 seconds in looks like me. But I was born in '66.

And it says in the title West Tulsa but someone in the comments says it's North.
RLitterell
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2007, 05:57:48 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaMINI

quote:

Dooley Pharmacy is still in business. And I remember when the Bundy Burger burned down. Sad.

Really? I remember when they sat on the corner across from what is now Ollie's Rest. an old gas station where Dickson Goodman Lumber used to be. Ol' Doc Dooley died in the early 60's. Where are they located now?
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2007, 07:20:10 am »

quote:

quote:

quote:

Really? I remember when they sat on the corner across from what is now Ollie's Rest. an old gas station where Dickson Goodman Lumber used to be. Ol' Doc Dooley died in the early 60's. Where are they located now?

I don't remember the previous location. They're still where I always knew them to be -- 25th W Ave, just South of 41st.
RLitterell
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2007, 09:10:22 am »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't remember the previous location. They're still where I always knew them to be -- 25th W Ave, just South of 41st.

I'm glad to hear the Dooley name is still around. Oh and boy were those greasy Bundy Burgers good or what? I can still taste them. I remember hearing when Bundy's burned. I was saddened as well. I lived in that neighborhood early on and attended Alice Robertson school in K through 2nd grade. My Daddy would take us to Bundy's for a treat. My Mom grew up with some of the Bundy kids in the 1930's. I sure miss Tulsa
cheers
Russell
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2007, 09:32:18 am »

So greasy the buns glistened!

I went to Robertson. Mrs. Elsey and Mrs. Gathron were my favorite teachers. I'm trying to remember the 2nd grade teacher's name -- I can picture her, very tall and thin. Seems like her name was Mrs. Barcley? Is that right?
RLitterell
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2007, 12:20:04 pm »

quote:

I went to Robertson. Mrs. Elsey and Mrs. Gathron were my favorite teachers. I'm trying to remember the 2nd grade teacher's name -- I can picture her, very tall and thin. Seems like her name was Mrs. Barcley? Is that right?

Yes!!! Mrs. Barclay. She was my teacher too. She taught there for many many years. We moved to Berryhill after 2nd grade. Mrs. Barclay lived there and her two sons went to Berryhill School. One was in my grade the other was a year older. I think she has passed away. I am not real sure of that but a friend of mine seemed to think she had.
My 1st grade teacher was Mrs Graham and Kindergarden was Mrs Wilbanks and Mrs Emmerson. Wow not a bad memorey for a 50 year old huh? I am bashing my brain trying to remember the gym teacher, a male with Elvis like hair. The principal was Mr. Morton.
My goodness the memories you have stirred!!!
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2007, 12:55:21 pm »

quote:

quote:

Yes!!! Mrs. Barclay. She was my teacher too. She taught there for many many years. We moved to Berryhill after 2nd grade. Mrs. Barclay lived there and her two sons went to Berryhill School. One was in my grade the other was a year older. I think she has passed away. I am not real sure of that but a friend of mine seemed to think she had.
My 1st grade teacher was Mrs Graham and Kindergarden was Mrs Wilbanks and Mrs Emmerson. Wow not a bad memorey for a 50 something year old huh? I am bashing my brain trying to remember the gym teacher, a male with Elvis like hair. The principal was Mr. Morton.

Mrs. Emerson was my kindergarten teacher. Do you remember Miss Watkins the music teacher? I have all my yearbooks, I'll dig them out and see if I can throw some more names at you. You're my brother's age but he went to Pleasant Porter. Oh, just remembered, Mr. Layton was our principal.

Y'know, I actually graduated with kids I went to kindergarten with. That's the Westside for ya!

RLitterell
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2007, 01:25:37 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

My 1st grade teacher was Mrs Graham and Kindergarden was Mrs Wilbanks and Mrs Emmerson. Wow not a bad memorey for a 50 year old huh? I am bashing my brain trying to remember the gym teacher, a male with Elvis like hair. The principal was Mr. Morton.

Mrs. Emerson was my kindergarten teacher. Do you remember Miss Watkins the music teacher? I have all my yearbooks, I'll dig them out and see if I can throw some more names at you. You're my brother's age but he went to Pleasant Porter. Oh, just remembered, Mr. Layton was our principal.

Y'know, I actually graduated with kids I went to kindergarten with. That's the Westside for ya!

I don't even remember having a music class. I am sure I did but boy, that was a long time ago.
Do you remember the little sundry that sat on the corner across from the cleaners? there was a church on the opposit corner and a small grocery store just across the street called "Ernies Grocery". We used to stop on the way home and buy penney candy from the sundry. I lived at ...now here is one I pulled out of thin air.... 3021 west 45th place. My neighbors were Greg Miller, An Indian boy younger than me named Jimmie Moffett (sp?) Debbie Gibson, Nancy Morgan, Mike Doyle, And Russell and Cathy Slack. The slacks had a younger brother we called Bubbie but his name was Mike I think. He would be closer to your age than mine.
Do you remember the the cop killing across the street from the school, Spybuck I think was the name? I remember being in class when that happened, I think I was anyway.
Also across from the schools front entry there was a 2 story house with a full poarch on the second floor. Downstairs was a small grocery store.... My mind is racing.....
AMP
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2007, 08:10:31 pm »

Girls sun-bathing in the back yard with KAKC or KELI disc jockies telling them when to roll over.
AMP
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2007, 08:14:15 pm »

The Golden Drumstick at 11th and Yale...

Treasure Chest and those awesome Rolls with Honey.

One of my sisters met the son of the owner of the Golden Drumstick at Ron's Hamburgers one evening not too long ago.  He said he thought Church's Chicken was the closest to his dad's recipe of frying Chicken.  

I remember was GDS had Giant pieces with lots of meat on them.
mdunn
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2007, 05:44:01 pm »

quote:

Angie,I actually talked to mrs Gathron about 10 years ago when I was visiting Tulsa,She was 83 then I believe but doing well.She was one of my favs too.And remember How mrs elsie would tell us there where pet birds of hers living in the attic???
I think we were in the same class with those teachers.I remember Mr Turner and how I hated dancing rythyms on thursdays,he would give us rubber bands and make us dance to the rubber band man.And Mrs Moore was the 3rd grade teacher,she lived 2 doors down from me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org