A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:32:24 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: California Greenie Issues Ultimatum to Oklahoma  (Read 26261 times)
waterboy
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 10:54:08 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

If Tulsa sucks so bad, we have so many rednecks with smoky cars, the job market sucks, we elect backwardsass politicians, there are too many conservative trolls like myself, etc.  Why exactly did you move back here, and why are you still here?

How many different ways can you old conservatives repackage the old 60's bumper sticker, "America, Love it or Leave it".

You're better than that Conan. We can't just overlook our failures and project ignorance onto everyone who dares tell the truth.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 12:30:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

quote:

If Tulsa sucks so bad, we have so many rednecks with smoky cars, the job market sucks, we elect backwardsass politicians, there are too many conservative trolls like myself, etc.  Why exactly did you move back here, and why are you still here?

How many different ways can you old conservatives repackage the old 60's bumper sticker, "America, Love it or Leave it".

You're better than that Conan. We can't just overlook our failures and project ignorance onto everyone who dares tell the truth.

I wasn't referring to the U.S., just Tulsa.  I wasn't regurgitating that old saw either, I just hadn't tweaked my friend HT in awhile.  I fail to understand why people re-locate to an area then proceed to crap on how bad the area is.  I'm always willing to share some of my half-full glass with those whose glass is half-empty.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about you WB, your tweak is coming. [Wink]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 12:34:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

quote:

As for Inhofe, I'm sorry, but the guy is a hardcore Republican, and lately this party has become so wrapped up with protecting big business corporate America,

Uh, lately?Huh  Hasn't that always been the battle cry of the Democrats?  

Both parties have big business contributors, and both parties protect their own big business interests.  I dare you to Google contribution lists to the major Democrat power-brokers and you'll see my point.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Chicken Little
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 03:24:30 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

Mr. Little, you know I'm a big fan of yours but I have to tell you that when I returned to Tulsa from California I couldn't believe what I found.  We don't have smog checks here.  You know all these old smokers you see rolling around Tulsa.  You don't even see cars that old in California.  They wouldn't pass a smog check.  

And then there is recycling.  In San Francisco we literally recycled almost all of our garbage.  They even recycle wet garbaqe into compost.  My impression is that most of the people here don't recycle anything.  When I see college educated people throwing bottles in the garbage I think what is wrong with you.

When I got back here and saw everyone lined up in their smokey cars waiting for a teller I thought gosh, you don't even see tellers in California.  It's almost all ATMs.  And people don't sit in their cars waiting for one.  

It's like finding out the people of Oklahoma don't wear shoes.  We have become a third world community.  Oklahoma is a net negative for the nation.  And yes in a Democracy you get what you deserve.  No one else sent Inhofe to Washington.  We did.

Now I'm trying to figure out why.  The closest I've come to an answer is that we were settled late.  We attracted the economic down and outs with the free land grants.  We are a little like the Germans -- slow to civilize.

The road to something better begins by seeing where you really stand.

I couldn't agree more with this last statement.  Ms Smiley stands in the middle of a freeway in the middle of a state that produces four times the greenhouse gasses that Oklahoma does.

She talks about holding Oklahomans accountable for global warming.  In the end, Californians are bigger contributors.  Tit for tat, she loses.  Her angry little post is built upon a logical fallacy.  For an author...even a fiction writer, that's hard to forgive.

Here's the icing on the cake.  I read in the comments of her HuffPost (good read, btw) that
she owns horses.  She may save tinfoil and poop in a compost pile, but I can almost guarantee you that she's got a bigger carbon footprint than any Oklahoman reading this.

Californians may be great, but this one is a smug idiot who thinks she found an easy target.  Not unrelated, in the comments, I was surprised to read from several people that "Okie" is still a common, derogatory, euphamism for poor white folks out there.
Hometown
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 09:37:07 pm »

quote:

Conan, you are one cute little troll.  

Hey, I’m an optimist at heart and I want to believe in Tulsa’s future.  You only get one hometown and Tulsa is mine.  

I don’t know how we are going to become better partners in protecting our environment.  But I would like to see what remains of Oklahoma’s energy business help build good will for their corporations and set a new standard in corporate responsibility.  I'm like to see regular inspections of everyone’s vehicles and greatly increased recycling efforts.  I'm like to see Tulsans get out of their cars more.  I'm like see less fried foods and more baked and grilled foods.  Less cigarette smoking.  More exercise.  Less Inhofe, Coburn and Sullivan.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2007, 10:58:48 am »

Dig up someone better than Genteges next time then. [}:)]

Hawkins
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2007, 11:24:06 am »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

quote:

As for Inhofe, I'm sorry, but the guy is a hardcore Republican, and lately this party has become so wrapped up with protecting big business corporate America,

Uh, lately?Huh  Hasn't that always been the battle cry of the Democrats?  

Both parties have big business contributors, and both parties protect their own big business interests.  I dare you to Google contribution lists to the major Democrat power-brokers and you'll see my point.

Actually I was referring to the fact that now it is considered an act of terrorism to free animals from a company testing lab.

This was one of the last great legacies of the Republican controlled congress that thankfully has been ousted.

Using the term 'terrorism' to protect financial interests is the last straw for me. That is what this law was all about. Holding someone without a lawyer, under the terrorism act, for breaking a beagle out of test lab is... I just can't believe it.

The 9-11 hijackers won the war that day, thanks to the republicans, who have since trashed the constitution--And I'm talking about the right to legal representation here, not the right to steal animals if there are any smart-alecks out there, who would seek to twist what I'm saying.

--

Hawkins
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2007, 11:32:23 am »

And on the subject of Republicans guarding big business--which is what Inhofe is doing, let's not forget about Senator Orrin Hatch!

This guy wanted a law that would make it legal for the music industry to download a virus that would destroy a computer's hard-drive if the user attempted an illegal download.

LOL- steal .99 from the music industry, and lose your $1,000 computer!

That is the measure of the Republican's resolve on this issue. Middle-class computer owners, animal rights groups--U.S. citizens without a right to a lawyer--and even the environment itself! It all takes a far back seat to the mighty corporate engine in the mind of Inhofe.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 11:43:11 am »

Point of order Hawkins, the Supreme Court today denied Cert. for the prisoners at Club Gitmo saying they have no exhausted remedies available to them.  

As crappy as that may sound to you, it means the Constitution is working.  The plight of those men has been brought to our highest court and has been turned away.  Our Constitutional court has had the chance and has not stepped in, so the talk of trashing the Constitution is hyperbole.

Per animals, I believe you are referring to the media's term "eco terrorism."  IMHO, this isnt using the term in the same manner as referring to Muslim Extremists trying to kill everyone, its just a quick reference way to refer to crimes stemming from a "tree hugger."  To the best of my knowledge, there is not a special terrorism law against such people nor are they charged with related existing terrorism offenses.  They are charged with the underlying property crimes.

Perhaps laws designed to stop people from taking actions to instill fear can be used to prosecute hate crimes, terrorism AND other crimes... but I do not believe they are labeled terrorists.

and if you want to point to obscure examples of congressmen proposing or supporting laws toward a single industry/company, I'm sure we can dig up plenty of examples on both sides of the isle.  When MOST people talk about being business friendly, they want to see government make an atmosphere conducive to business.  NOT legislate for particular players (which is, in the end, harmful to business).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2007, 09:08:20 am »

Yet another scientific hack, this one a lead researcher at MIT, comes out with his doubts over global warming in Newseek:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17997788/site/newsweek/

He uses science to explain his doubts.  Gasp!

quote:
The alleged solutions have more potential for catastrophe than the putative problem. The conclusion of the late climate scientist Roger Revelle—Al Gore's supposed mentor—is worth pondering: the evidence for global warming thus far doesn't warrant any action unless it is justifiable on grounds that have nothing to do with climate.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2007, 10:57:29 am »

CF- you are dead-a$$ wrong.  Don't you read the papers?  Global warming cancelled a four-game baseball series in Cleveland this weekend, and was responsible for scores of new record low temps all over the country this weekend.  We must do something now! [}:)]

cecelia
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2007, 10:04:22 am »

The global warming deniers - including the one from MIT - have been funded by the oil and gas industry, coal, trucking and the like.

As has Inhofe. You might want to take a look at who funds him.

And thanks to America's hatred of education and teachers, and its hostility to science - wait, better said, Oklahoma's hatred of teachers and education, and hostility toward science, people have bought the deniers' claims lock, stock and barrel.

So the deniers get richer and richer, while the glaciers are nearly gone and our weather gets weirder and weirder and all of us suffer the consequences.

Sad state of affairs. And not only our children and grandchildren, but we will pay dearly for it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2007, 10:19:43 am »

I take it you didn't actually READ the article there cc.  

This is not a vast conspiracy and Im not even saying it isnt possible or even likely, I'm simply laughing at how Global Warming has become the new religion.  You are not allowed to doubt it or you are a denier paid off by oil who hates education.

Thank you for proving my point.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2007, 10:53:21 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cecelia

The global warming deniers - including the one from MIT - have been funded by the oil and gas industry, coal, trucking and the like.

As has Inhofe. You might want to take a look at who funds him.

And thanks to America's hatred of education and teachers, and its hostility to science - wait, better said, Oklahoma's hatred of teachers and education, and hostility toward science, people have bought the deniers' claims lock, stock and barrel.

So the deniers get richer and richer, while the glaciers are nearly gone and our weather gets weirder and weirder and all of us suffer the consequences.

Sad state of affairs. And not only our children and grandchildren, but we will pay dearly for it.

Yep, we sure hate our teachers.  $3000 pay raise last year on the backs of gamblers, no problem.  That's how we show our hate.  Pay them a salary that works out to about the same or higher as the average worker gets, only at about 3/4 of the total annual hours the industrial worker must put in.  That's real hate.

There is a state of hysteria being created in the United States.  Were the poster boy for the cause (Algore) not heavily invested in green technologies and "carbon credits" I might tend to give him more credibility.

How about balancing your commentary on those "deniers" who stand to profit from de-bunking global warming, with the green technology companies who stand to gain financially by supporting scientists who are promoting the theory?  

There are also a lot of us who believe there are few altruists in government.  If a Congressman takes on agendas of those who helped get them there in the first place, they will be re-elected and be able to glom on to more power.

I think we all want a cleaner environment, it's just there are some of us who don't care to be constantly beat over the head with hysteria.  Especially when climatalogical science is still in it's relative infancy.  To wit: the global cooling scare of the mid '70's.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15391426/site/newsweek/

The scare about global cooling was smog blocking out the sun's rays.  We developed ways to convert smog to what we thought were more innocuous gasses (CO2) and now we are told that is causing warming.  

Increased Btu radiation due to over-population and a higher demand for consumer goods and transportation could be just as much to blame as CO2.  

The truth is, no one knows for certain.  We could go back to living in caves, and we still would observe changes in the climate.

Creating hysteria over uncertainties upsets some of us.

cecelia
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2007, 12:09:32 pm »

Well, the two of you just proved my point. Cheesy

The facts speak for themselves. All it takes is a little googling of the words Exxon and funding and global warming, as well as a few minutes of investigation into who funds Inhofe's et als' political careers.

All it takes is knowing that no scientist - and I mean scientist - not paid shill - disputes global warming is happening and will have catastrophic impact.

But I learned long ago that trying to cast light on ignorance for those who willfully choose to remain such is a useless pursuit.

So I leave you in your sad puddle of ignorance with your puffed of feelings of pride for supporting those who have gotten very, very rich by simply lying to you and totally screwing you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org