A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:19:49 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Population Numbers  (Read 16711 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« on: March 22, 2007, 11:38:50 am »

The new county population estimates for mid 2006 are out from the US Census and Tulsa’s MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) is estimated to have grown 1.35% over the last year to 897,752 (up 11,974 since 2005) and up 4.21% this decade (up 36,287). The yearly increase is pretty good, but for obvious reasons growth since 2000 is not so good.

Tulsa’s CSA (Consolidated Statistical Area) - including Washington County (Bartlesville) stands at 946,993, a 1.31% annual increase and an increase of 4.01% since 2000.

At the current rate of growth Tulsa’s CSA will pass the one million people mark in just three years in 2010 and the MSA will pass one million people in 2014.

Oklahoma City stands at MSA 1,172,339 and CSA 1,240,997 up 1.50%/1.46% in one year and up 6.79%/6.65% since 2000.

Take out the tough years of 2003 and 2004 and Tulsa’s growth is pretty close to Oklahoma City’s. Over a decade an annual growth rate of 1.35% would add a new Broken Arrow+Bixby+Coweta to the area population every ten years. That’s good solid and sustainable growth.

Flame on……….because that’s all that seems to happen on this board anymore.
bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 11:54:11 am »

That's good info.  I don't want to flame anyone, but I've done a little research myself and found that while Tulsa's MSA is growing at about the same rate as OKC and the pop. numbers are actually about the same, OKC proper continues to grow faster than Tulsa proper.  The 2005 census estimates for the cities themselves (not MSA) had Tulsa actually losing about 20,000 people between 2000-2005 and OKC gaining about 50,000.  

I'm worried that the areas around Tulsa now represent close to 3 times the amount of people actually living IN Tulsa.  I know every city faces suburban "flight", but Tulsa seems to be getting hit especially hard.

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 12:34:46 pm »

And thats just documented population!

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 03:34:03 pm »

For a mid sized midwestern city, a 2% growth is a good showing.  It basically means people are moving in to fill the shoes of kids that may move away.  Anything below 1% is serious problems (which is how I bought a house for damn near nothing in Tulsa in 2003).

Good info. Thanks.  Hopefully we see 1,000,000 MSA by the 2010 census.  Would just seem like a milestone.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dsjeffries
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 04:50:59 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

For a mid sized midwestern city, a 2% growth is a good showing.  It basically means people are moving in to fill the shoes of kids that may move away.  Anything below 1% is serious problems (which is how I bought a house for damn near nothing in Tulsa in 2003).

Good info. Thanks.  Hopefully we see 1,000,000 MSA by the 2010 census.  Would just seem like a milestone.

It would be a milestone for our area but each year, the one million mark becomes less of a milestone as more and more cities surpass this number.

I think the population knews is great, especially when compared to '03 or '04!
Hopefully, with all of the Vision2025 projects happening in downtown, people will venture into Tulsa proper instead of just barely in the MSA...
inteller
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 05:07:20 pm »

impressive numbers, without even counting all the illegals.
Rowdy
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 05:27:41 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

I wonder if Owasso and Bixby are still listed as one of the fastest growing.
inteller
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 05:34:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Rowdy

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

I wonder if Owasso and Bixby are still listed as one of the fastest growing.

probably, and east tulsa is mysteriously exploding in growth, but now one knows why...hmmm?
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 10:50:37 pm »

I thought Rogers County is the fastest growing County in the state.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
AMP
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 11:10:47 pm »

Are those folks being made and born here, or are they imports?  

Would be interesting to see the Birth Control and Condom sales stats for all the Counties in Oklahoma.  Smiley
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 10:53:02 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

Are those folks being made and born here, or are they imports?  

Would be interesting to see the Birth Control and Condom sales stats for all the Counties in Oklahoma.  Smiley

Tulsa the city lost people. I believe Tulsa's pop. is around 385,000,(it was 293,000 before) it fell far behind Omaha, NE, who's population grew to beyond 400,000 people. However Tulsa's Metro area beats Omaha's metro area. Omaha's metro population is around 720,000 or some such number. BTW Tulsa & Nashville, TN are at the same latitude on the map.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
peggysue
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 07:17:14 pm »

Tulsa Metro is growing well for a Southern city (we are not in the friggin midwest people)

And if you are lookin for the next "boom" suburb look at Sand Springs. That place is about to explode in population and economy.
In_Tulsa
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 08:15:09 pm »

quote:
And if you are lookin for the next "boom" suburb look at Sand Springs. That place is about to explode in population and economy.

What makes you think that?
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 01:06:49 am »

quote:
Originally posted by In_Tulsa

quote:

Didn't they just get new street lamps?  And a Church's Chicken too!

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 07:06:37 am »

quote:
Originally posted by YoungTulsan

quote:
Originally posted by In_Tulsa

quote:

Didn't they just get new street lamps?  And a Church's Chicken too!

This kind of comment and a couple of jokes about illegals is what passes for discussion on this board now.

Great work.

Flame on.....
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org